Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Soda vs. pop

Re: Soda vs. pop

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Most distributors offer a Coke or Pepsi line, the third line in PDX is the AMC of soft drink packages, Diet Rite, RC Cola, A&W, an orange drink that escapes me and Ginger Ale
    Orange Crush?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

I am from about 80 minutes northwest of Cincinnati, north of Greensburg. I mostly heard Coke growing up, as in if asked what kind of Coke I wanted, I asked for Mountain Dew or Dr Pepper. Pop was used alot to though.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

First people I ever heard use coke for everything were Texans, who seemed a lot like space aliens to us WVians.

I'll bet those people who mostly use other (according to the map) are really confusing. I'll have a hamburger, fries, and an other, please?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    I think it's hilarious that Iowa is all pop except for one county that says soda. From just eyeballing it it looks like it could be Johnson County - where the University of Iowa is. Or, as one person called it, "The People's Republic of Johnson County." From what I can figure, the University of Iowa gets a lot more people from out of state than the other universities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I live in Cincinnati and say "pop" exclusively. I've experienced the same in West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina and Wisconsin. My sister lives in Boston and has converted to "soda."

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I'm in Lexington, and it's all Coke to me. Most servers around here don't even correct you if they only serve Pepsi products. The beauty of it is, if they serve both, you're always going to get Coca-Cola, which is the right one anyway.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

I've heard (or perhaps read at some point, can't recall) that Dayton is a big test market for Pepsi as its one of the few areas in the mid west that had a preference towards Pepsi products. It was why Dayton was choosen as one of the test markets for Pepsi clear. Don't know how true that is/was at the time, but its always stuck with me.

Personally, I prefer Pepsi over Coke, but Diet Coke (which I lean towards choosing amongst all sodas anyways) over Diet Pepsi.

I use this map in my introductory geography classes. It's very accurate based on their responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Spazzrico View Post
    I use this map in my introductory geography classes. It's very accurate based on their responses.
    So, from the geographer's perspective, what does this tell us? I've always wondered.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Upstate New York and it's soda!

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    So, from the geographer's perspective, what does this tell us? I've always wondered.
    I don't use it to analyze too much really, but just to get my students to think through linguistic (dialect) differences. Although I do have them think why North Carolina is such a jumble (presence of other dominant drinks like Pepsi) and Coke is such a force in the South due to Coke's presence in Atlanta.....I don't know too much about the history of the terms per se, but I can say it helps when I have them think about historical migration patterns (See how southern Florida is the same as North East). I find the line running through Appalachia is interesting, but I can't explain it much other than that the region as a physical barrier had some sort of impact as a cultural one. Also it is fun to use when I ask them how they define where the South is located....many use "Coke" and sweet tea as a means of defining their own vernacular geography.

While you're at it, please figure out why they "mash" buttons and "cut on" the lights in North Carolina. .
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I've heard (or perhaps read at some point, can't recall) that Dayton is a big test market for Pepsi as its one of the few areas in the mid west that had a preference towards Pepsi products. It was why Dayton was choosen as one of the test markets for Pepsi clear. Don't know how true that is/was at the time, but its always stuck with me.

Personally, I prefer Pepsi over Coke, but Diet Coke (which I lean towards choosing amongst all sodas anyways) over Diet Pepsi.
    Dayton was often used as the test market for products being viewed by manufacturers as the most average city in the country. I don't know if this is still the case, but it was back in the 60's and 70's, as I recall.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

It's always been soda to me. I was raised in Cincinnati, but my mother grew up outside of Boston.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Turn Off Ads?