Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Soda vs. pop

Re: Soda vs. pop

Until I switched to diet about 15 years ago, it was always "Coke" for me. Now I say Diet Coke for everything even when I know they have Pepsi.

Everyone here in Chicago says pop. I work with several New Yorkers and travel there often, so I do find myself saying soda more often.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Really, people should just say "cola" but I suppose that's a bit hoity toity. "Pop" and "soda" can mean anything from cola, orange, lemon-lime and root beer to ice cream sodas and Canada Dry - but "cola" truly defines the type of drink you want.

Given that, I never say "cola."

I grew up in Cincy but have lived in Michigan for the past ten years. It's always been "Coke" when I order a cola, and "pop" when I refer to soft drinks in generic language. I never say soda.

On a somewhat related note, I have never said "sofa" unless I'm reading it in a book (it's always "couch", and never a davenport) and I also never say "supper" (it's "dinner.")
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

www.OnCampusSports.com -- college sports covered by college students

Born and raised in northern New Jersey and it was always, 100% soda. It wasn't until I started to see these conversations on the internet that I learned many didn't use the word soda.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

I grew up in Florida and it was always Soda or Coke, I didn't encounter the bizarre 'pop' phrase until I got to Cincy, in North Carolina it's Soda.
    Go Gators!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I've always said pop, have a lot of relatives who say soda, and always was disturbed by the use of a brand name in a generic sense, so I would never say Coke unless I actually want Coke. I don't call all tissues Kleenex either.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

Cincinnati's premiere expedited trucking company

I was born in NY, we called it soda, but when we moved to Massachusetts, they called it tonic, which was pretty confusing in the beginning. That weird tasting unsweetened stuff grownups make cocktails with? No, thanks. Then, the other kids are all drinking cokes, and you're wondering why they only offered you the icky stuff. Now, I honestly can't remember the last time I heard someone use anything that wasn't a specific brand or flavor.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

my all time favorite soft drink is Fanta Red Cream Soda that in Indiana was called "Red Pop", which is how I think of it.

I demand the return of it to the market place.

Now!
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    my all time favorite soft drink is Fanta Red Cream Soda that in Indiana was called "Red Pop", which is how I think of it.

Now!
    Cherry Lemon Sundrop for me, though I rarely drink pop soda soft drinks any more. That stuff was delicious.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Pop. And even after 18 years in hell... errr Missouri, I stubbornly refuse to call it "soda".

SE Indiana and I say pop

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post

Now!
    It's called Red Pop because Michigan's Faygo drink company actually has a red cream soda called Red Pop

I didn't know there was a red cream soda until I was 15, I thought it was always called Red Pop

We call it coke.

I remember going to visit my cousins in Iowa as a kid and them calling it a pop. I had no clue what he was saying.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I grew up in SE Ky calling it pop. Since moving to the DC area over 20 years ago I have transitioned to the yankee way of calling it soda most of the time. One reason I have gone over to calling is soda is that when I go into a fast food place and order a Coke I would invariably be handed a cone of ice cream instead.
    Used to be in SW Va soda was called dope. My brother-in-law who is from Bristol, Va would call it that every now and then. But that term, for obvious reasons, has all but died away.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I grew up outside of Dayton and said pop until I moved to Chicago. There I only ordered beer, liquor, or wine and I didn't start referring to carbonated beverages again until I moved to DC, where I now say soda.

What I really want to know is what is with all the "other"? Is that where people are just ultra specific and never generically refer to anything? Or do they just say, "I'll have an other, please"?
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Well me being born and raised in West Virginia me and my whole family say pop.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Turn Off Ads?