Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fort Myers job offer... thoughts?

Fort Myers job offer... thoughts?

Ok Redszone here's the deal. I've been offered a teaching job at a charter school in Fort Myers, Florida. It pays 34,000 a year. Here's the kicker: they want me there by July 23rd for training, and students come on August 6th. They're willing to hire me over the phone, without meeting me in person first. They're not providing any relocation costs. I currently live in Ohio, and make substantially less than 34,000 a year. I don't have any money saved up for this, nor will I have any time to find a place in Fort Myers before going out there.

I don't have any experience as a teacher, only as a substitute. I've never done a lesson plan, don't have any experience with curriculum... should I take the job? Should I turn it down? Right now I'm leaning towards declining. But haven't decided for sure. Any opinions? Anyone familiar with the cost of living in Fort Myers?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    How u doin

Re: Fort Myers job offer... thoughts?

This very possibly could be the best deal you ever get.

Take it. Rent the cheapest furnished apartment you can find and bank every dollar you can. Try it for a year and if it absolutely sucks, you should at least have a bunch more $$$ in the bank account.

Yup. Go for it. Life's short, and you only live once.

If teching is what you want to do, don't wait, take the job NOW.

Yeah, it seems a little odd they'd hire off the phone and you don't have any experience (do you have a degree?), but what the hell. Step up to the plate and take your cuts. You'll never get a better opportunity.

I have a former colleague that lives in Ft Myers and he loves it. I've only driven through it but it looks nice. Just rent a cheap place and give it a try. What are you waiting for?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I have taught for 17 years. If they are offering you that salary for a first job, I'd jump on it. Not many schools are hiring. And there is no state income tax. That's a major plus.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I think it comes down to a few things.

1) what are your other job prospects
    2) do you actually want to teach
    3) do you actually want to live in Florida
    4) how stable is this charter school? Hiring an unexperienced teacher over the phone sounds a little off to me (non meaning to offend, perhaps you're just that good in a phone interview), you'd think they'd want to at least meet you face to face, make sure you want to live in the area and are willing to relocate.

The worst thing that'll happen is you'll quit and never want mention it again.

OTOH, maybe you'll love it.

I think you should take it.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I'm still on the fence. There are a few issues I'm dealing with presently:

One, is my health. They need a decision quickly, but I've been battling a severe double ear infection as well as vertigo, and I have no idea when this is going to let up. Under my present condition, there's probably no way I'd be able to successfully teach. Yes, it should be gone by then. But the doctors aren't really giving me any answers.

Secondly, my best friend's girlfriend has several contacts in Columbus, and is trying to get me on there. My heart is absolutely torn between home, and the beach. I want to make sure if I take the Fort Myers position, it's for the right reasons. Not just because it's fun and the weather is great.

And medford I took no offense to what you said. I also wonder what the turnover rate is at the school. I actually asked if I could come down and check things out, and she more or less told me they were too busy to do any hosting, which sent off a warning flair for me.

I appreciate all of the input. I can't really say which way I'm leaning right now. I need to decide by tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    The worst thing that'll happen is you'll quit and never want mention it again.

OTOH, maybe you'll love it.

I think you should take it.
    Not even close to being true.

Worst thing that could happen is they get him to move down there, rent an appartment with a 12 month obligation (or penalty for early move out), start slow paying him after a couple of months and put him in a bind financially in an area I'll assume he knows few people.

If this was in his backyard, and he could maintain his current residence, or live with someone he knows until he's satisfied that the job is stable, that is one thing, but he's moving a long way for someone he's never meet face to face. I'll assume he's never seen the facilities, talked to any potential co workers, etc... There is a lot more risk than just not liking the job.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I'm still on the fence. There are a few issues I'm dealing with presently:

One, is my health. They need a decision quickly, but I've been battling a severe double ear infection as well as vertigo, and I have no idea when this is going to let up. Under my present condition, there's probably no way I'd be able to successfully teach. Yes, it should be gone by then. But the doctors aren't really giving me any answers.

Secondly, my best friend's girlfriend has several contacts in Columbus, and is trying to get me on there. My heart is absolutely torn between home, and the beach. I want to make sure if I take the Fort Myers position, it's for the right reasons. Not just because it's fun and the weather is great.

And medford I took no offense to what you said. I also wonder what the turnover rate is at the school. I actually asked if I could come down and check things out, and she more or less told me they were too busy to do any hosting, which sent off a warning flair for me.

I appreciate all of the input. I can't really say which way I'm leaning right now. I need to decide by tomorrow.
    I don't know your personal situation, and I know the job market is tough right now, but that is a huge warning flair to me. No company should be too busy to do any hosting of someone they're willing to hire. Honestly, I'd recommend against it based simply on that plus the distance you'd have to move and other obstacles you're facing.

From what I understand it's a tough market for teachers in Ohio right now. I know someone with contacts who is still having a really rough time. Your mileage will vary of course, just throwing it out there.

The job situation for teachers is very different from state to state, and Ohio churns out so many with all the colleges here.

If the school turns out to be sketchy you can spend one year there and then transition to something else if you like the area. If you're not married, no kids, then do it. Much tougher to do this sort of thing once you have a wife and children.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

That being said, I'd think they should be able to give you some relocation money. That's actually the biggest red flag for me.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Not even close to being true.

Worst thing that could happen is they get him to move down there, rent an appartment with a 12 month obligation (or penalty for early move out), start slow paying him after a couple of months and put him in a bind financially in an area I'll assume he knows few people.

If this was in his backyard, and he could maintain his current residence, or live with someone he knows until he's satisfied that the job is stable, that is one thing, but he's moving a long way for someone he's never meet face to face. I'll assume he's never seen the facilities, talked to any potential co workers, etc... There is a lot more risk than just not liking the job.
    True, but life is full of risks whatever you do. TMBS, the fact that they want him to decide without even allowing him to come visit is kind of odd IMO.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    True, but life is full of risks whatever you do. TMBS, the fact that they want him to decide without even allowing him to come visit is kind of odd IMO.
    True, but one should attempt to minimize risk whenever possible. If it was local and he could live with his parent then there wouldn't be much fear of them slow ball paying him (or a corrupt owner taking off after stealing a bunch of money as happened here locally) Worst case he gets some teaching experience, without all the pay. If he had an uncle or sister or friend he could lean on in the Fort Meyers area for a couple of months as he attempts to figure out how reliable this place is.

If it was a city owned school, I'd say go for it. Since its a charter school (and I have no problems with charter schools per say, just that there is more risk for their employees unless its a well established school), not to mention they won't meet with him prior to employeement scares the beejesus out of me.

Mainly, if you do take the job, which could end up being the greatest decision you ever make (who knows), please don't committ yourself to too much financially that you don't have to. If you can rent by the month, even if you have to pay a little more, it may well be worth it for the first couple of months. If you can find a 2nd weekend job to help fill in the hours and perhaps balance out some of the uncertainity, go for it.

I'm just trying to make him aware, that there are far worst things that could happen than just "not liking the job"

Turn Off Ads?