Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds Pitchers Playing At Their Level, Not Above

Reds Pitchers Playing At Their Level, Not Above

http://www.craveonline.com/sports/ar...ssance-is-here

A quick but interesting read discussing a new era in baseball. Describes it as a game that favors the pitcher (somewhat obvious). I think this justifies why the Reds' pitching staff has done so well, and they're not simply just getting lucky. Especially considering how they performed during the latest road trip.

And unless a serious upgrade can happen to our pitching corps without any other area taking a significant hit, I think we are set for a while.

It also may give insight to how marginally average hitters (i.e. Stubbs) suffer even more in today's game. But also know that although it does not flat out say it, it makes hitters like Votto stand out even more considering league averages and ERAs.

And this type of baseball is just as if not more exciting to watch than the "Steroid Era". It's almost poetic watching the pitcher take a lap around the mound while the infield throws around the horn after a strikeout, especially in late game or high leverage situations. Turns a great game into a great story and keeps the crowd on the edge of their seat.

Just trying to make some worthwhile discussion while the tumbleweeds roll through the Redszone until Friday.
    There are only two seasons - Winter and Baseball.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Re: Reds Pitchers Playing At Their Level, Not Above

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post

A quick but interesting read discussing a new era in baseball. Describes it as a game that favors the pitcher (somewhat obvious). I think this justifies why the Reds' pitching staff has done so well, and they're not simply just getting lucky. Especially considering how they performed during the latest road trip.

And unless a serious upgrade can happen to our pitching corps without any other area taking a significant hit, I think we are set for a while.

It also may give insight to how marginally average hitters (i.e. Stubbs) suffer even more in today's game. But also know that although it does not flat out say it, it makes hitters like Votto stand out even more considering league averages and ERAs.

And this type of baseball is just as if not more exciting to watch than the "Steroid Era". It's almost poetic watching the pitcher take a lap around the mound while the infield throws around the horn after a strikeout, especially in late game or high leverage situations. Turns a great game into a great story and keeps the crowd on the edge of their seat.

Just trying to make some worthwhile discussion while the tumbleweeds roll through the Redszone until Friday.
    I love a 2 - 1 ball game but then I am old enough to remember years like 1964 when the ERA leaders were 1.65 in the AL & 1.74 in the NL.

The Reds had a 3.07 ERA and there were 3 teams that beat them in the ML.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

Not sure why technology favors pitchers. If you know Homer likes to throw 2-2 fastballs...

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post

Interesting article. I actually work with the company that provides the "high definition video from multiple angles" and chart/populate an indexable database for every single major league pitch for 29 of the 30 Major League teams (all but the Angels who do this for themselves). You might be interested to know that the Reds were the first team to buy and install this technology... and as I have posted before, this was the result of a contact I made through Redszone. (I had a wonderful conversation with Johnny Bench back in 2003 when we were installing the software in the new stadium the day before opening day... in typical Johnny Bench fashion humble fashion he said "If only this existed back when I was playing... then I could have HIT!"

While pitchers do use the new technology, I think the hitters actually use it much more. Pitchers like Maddox would study the video of hitters to identify which parts of the zone were hot or cold for them... modern high def stop motion video may help. For batters, though, it definitly helps. Prior to every game, if you walk through the clubhouse, you will see batters... especially the serious/dedicated ones, bent over their i-pads/laptops watching the high def video of the starting pitcher for the opposing team shot from his last start 5 days earlier... they will continually move forward and backward, frame by frame, trying to recognize the release/arm motion/arm angle/arm height that the pitcher uses for each of his pitches.

That said, the one thing this technology has done for pitchers has made data on every hitter much more accessible... so whereas only the extremely studious like maddox would invest the hours necessary to preapre for the hitters of a given team... now every pitcher can get the equivlanet of Maddox's hours of work in literally seconds... so maybe its just that more of them are paying attention to it.

Turn Off Ads?