Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Plan for Hamilton

The Plan for Hamilton

Well Mr. Hamilton has been bumped up to AA and Didi was sent to AAA. This tells me that Hamilton is going to remain at SS on the AA level. As the great Jim Bowden commented, Hamilton has a weak arm. So does anyone have an idea what the plan is for this kid? Yes he is fast and so far has shown an ability to get on base, but I also think Cozart can mature into a very good SS over the coming seasons and then what about Didi? We have 3 guys right now at one position...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Plan for Hamilton

I think Hamilton will be in another organization by the end of July.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Well Mr. Hamilton has been bumped up to AA and Didi was sent to AAA. This tells me that Hamilton is going to remain at SS on the AA level. As the great Jim Bowden commented, Hamilton has a weak arm. So does anyone have an idea what the plan is for this kid? Yes he is fast and so far has shown an ability to get on base, but I also think Cozart can mature into a very good SS over the coming seasons and then what about Didi? We have 3 guys right now at one position...
    In the long run I don't know. But if/when the Reds are still in this thing in late August and Hamilton has his 500+ plate appearances this season....he has to be on that September roster for pinch-running purposes. Dave Roberts did little but pinch run during the Red Sox championship.

8th inning...Reds losing 3-2 or tied and leadoff batter Ryan Hanigan works his way on base.....hello Billy

I read somewhere, can't remember where, that the plan was that Hamilton will continue to play SS in 2012, but will likely be moved to CF in 2013.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    I read somewhere, can't remember where, that the plan was that Hamilton will continue to play SS in 2012, but will likely be moved to CF in 2013.
    I hope you are correct. Changing positions mid-season could be very difficult. Where changing positions in spring training would only be very difficult.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Yea I don't think they wanna overwhelm him in the middle of the season with a position change. He'll be an OFer at some point.

My thought why wasn't this move made this past ST, let him learn there, go to A ball and work on it nad then move up to AA next year in CF and who knows see him in cincy in 2014, but now I doubt we see him till 2015...like with Chapman...wasted years..

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

My thought why wasn't this move made this past ST, let him learn there, go to A ball and work on it nad then move up to AA next year in CF and who knows see him in cincy in 2014, but now I doubt we see him till 2015...like with Chapman...wasted years..
    This spring, I think Hamilton was seen as the 2B of the future. Then we locked up some Dude in his place.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

If you are a good athlete it isn't going to take you ages to learn how to play in the OF. I don't think waiting till this offseason to make the switch slows down his road to the big leagues at all.

Yeah that is not happening, Billy Hamilton is absolutely untouchable

Quote Originally Posted by Red Swagger View Post
    Yeah that is not happening, Billy Hamilton is absolutely untouchable
    NO ONE and I mean NO ONE in our minors should be untouchable for the right deal...heck, only about maybe 2-3 players in teh entire organization Major league to rookie league should be "untouchable".

Learning CF shouldn't be all that difficult for a talent like Hamilton. No reason to attempt a position-switch now (especially with his current transition to AA).

If he shines at Pensacola it would not surprise me one bit if he comes to spring training next year prepared to play CF (in the minors). If he struggles at AA I could see the Reds management continue to see if he can stick at SS.

If Hamilton's bat doesn't play in the upper minors, a position switch will be useless.
    "Do you think Scott Hatteberg is a good player?"
    -Adam Dunn, speaking on the Banana Phone with Marty Brennaman

Turn Off Ads?