Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: who do you think will get a september call up?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: who do you think will get a september call up?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    That can be easily fixed by calling up someone other than Billy Hamilton. There are plenty of fast guys bouncing around in the minors who the Reds could acquire to pinch run. I'm sure they could acquire a guy like Luis Durango, or former Reds farmhands Fred Lewis and Quinton Berry without giving up anything of real value. The could probably get those guys for a middling minor league reliever or just plain old cash.
    Or just call up Theo Bowe, who is just as fast as Billy Hamilton is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I have the same objection to calling up Bowe that I have to calling up Hamilton. He's still young enough he might turn into a real MLB ballplayer. There is no need to start his option clock if he is not ready to play in the majors. An grizzled veteran like Lewis would serve the same purpose and not potentially stunt/rush the development a guy who could be a valuable player a few years down the road.

-The Insider-

Cams, Janish is gone sir.

And probably not Hamilton because he still won't be Rule V eligible next year. Wasting a option year on him would not be smart (assuming he is optioned next Spring Training.)

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Cams, Janish is gone sir.
    In case you didn't know, my comment regarding Janish was from Thursday. I already posted about him being traded in the transactions thread.

Hoover will be back.

I think it would be wise to call up a catcher so that catchers could be used as PH down the stretch.

I think Willie Harris has a chance to get called back up.

That's my three. Joseph is a longshot imo.

If everyone is healthy, I guess I don't see many other callups.
    Harris gives us an extra inf/of backup.. the Reds really don't have any bench bats at AAA that would be useful, imo.. I think Constanzo got his chance and is never going to see the ML roster again, barring another string of injuries.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Gathright or Negron if you need someone to pinch run.

HRod for a LH bat

Navarro for a 3rd catcher

Hoover and Joseph because teams always call up a couple extra bullpen arms
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Gathright was released. Negron had ACL surgery and is out for the year.

This is simply untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    This is simply untrue.
    Does the difference between super fast and super-duper fast really matter when we are talking about a guy who only gets to run the bases two or three times per week?

To be honest, I'd rather have a slower (but still fast) veteran base stealer who isn't going to run into outs as my pinch-runner over a couple of kids who blaze but take stupid risks. Neither Bowe nor Hamilton are particularly smart base runners at this point in their careers.

This is simply untrue.
    I have timed both guys 50+ times. Theo Bowe has the fastest time from home to first base between the two guys. 3.72 to Hamilton's 3.74 (both from the left side). Theo Bowe was also once upon a time ranked as the Reds fastest player in the system when Hamilton was in it, by Baseball America. People really need to stop pretending that Billy Hamilton is absolutely, without question or debate, faster than every other player in the game. He isn't.

I guess by people you mean Kevin Goldstein too. Take it up with him for starters.

I guess by people you mean Kevin Goldstein too. Take it up with him for starters.
    Well, I am taking it up with you first since you told me it wasn't true. But next time I see KG bring it up, maybe I will.

Well, I am taking it up with you first since you told me it wasn't true. But next time I see KG bring it up, maybe I will.
    He brought it up on twitter again today. So have at it.

Kevin Goldstein ‏@Kevin_Goldstein
    Folks, for the 1,821st time Billy Hamilton is faster than any other baseball player, so quit asking how Player X compares.
    By the way, that followed an inquiry I made to him about...whether Theo Bowe was faster. But, whatevs.
    Last edited by membengal; 07-17-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Goldstein can say Hamilton is faster than Bowe. Saying it doesn't make it true. I'll take Doug's word for it. He has actually timed both many times and timed home to first. I think Doug knows more about the players in the Reds system than Goldstein and its not even close. Goldstein whips up hype about kids coming up.

Goldstein and "whipping up hype" is also false. He works overtime to NOT do that. Laughable. Follow his twitter if you want to test your hypothesis.

Turn Off Ads?