Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: who do you think will get a september call up?

Re: who do you think will get a september call up?

I don't doubt that Goldstein knows his stuff, but a guy who tracks all of MLB is not going to be as up to date on all the minutia about certain prospects as a guy who tracks just one team. Stuff like stopwatch times to first base definitely falls in the category of minutia.

I'd venture to say almost all of Goldstein's knowledge in regards to Hamilton comes second hand. He has probably only seen him play live a handful of times, as opposed to Doug who watches all the Reds prospects like a hawk and does wacky stuff like timing them from home to first 50+ times apiece.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Isn't a time from home (I'll presume while batting) to 1st base only 1 component of who's the fastest? I mean wouldn't time from 1st to 3rd or 1st to 2nd on a steal, or home to 2nd on a double, or home to home on an inside the parker be additional parts? Perhaps Bowe got out of the box after a hit quicker than Billy did last year. Doug, have you timed both this season since both spent most of their time across the country, or were all of those times in Dayton last year? Could Billy have gotten quicker this year?

I don't know the answers to any of these, its largely minutia, but questions that need to be asked if trying to settle a debate about who's faster b/w bily Hamilton and anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I don't know the answers to any of these, its largely minutia, but questions that need to be asked if trying to settle a debate about who's faster b/w bily Hamilton and anyone else.
    I don't think you can ever settle it. Suffice it say that both guys are ridiculously fast and leave it at that. In the grand scheme of things, that matters more than a few hundredths of a second on a stopwatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I don't think you can ever settle it. Suffice it say that both guys are ridiculously fast and leave it at that. In the grand scheme of things, that matters more than a few hundredths of a second on a stopwatch.
    Excellent answer. At that level what difference does it really make. Hamilton, Bowe - guys like that are so exceptionally fast it's just a quibble. The fact is the Reds have 2 of them and if they rank 1-2 or 2-1 who cares?

My trade as a joke was the Reds grab Bourjos and then around 2105 they'd have Bourjos, Hamilton, Bowe and Stubbs in the same outfield - the fastest in history. Of course they might collectively hit .186 but heck they'd be fast!
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 07-18-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Excellent answer. At that level what difference does it really make. Hamilton, Bowe - guys like that are so exceptionally fast it's just a quibble. The fact is the Reds have 2 of them and if they rank 1-2 or 2-1 who cares?

My trade as a joke was the Reds grab Bourjos and then around 2105 they'd have Bourjos, Hamilton, Bowe and Stubbs in the same outfield - the fastest in history. Of course they might collectively hit .186 but heck they'd be fast!
    I don't know about that. By 2105 they'll all be over 100 years old and may have lost a step or two.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Assuming they are still with the organization, I'd expect Joseph, Hoover, Redmond, Brackman, H-Rod, Gregorius, LaMarre and Navarro to all be candidates for September call-ups.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't know about that. By 2105 they'll all be over 100 years old and may have lost a step or two.
    LOL... good catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Assuming they are still with the organization, I'd expect Joseph, Hoover, Redmond, Brackman, H-Rod, Gregorius, LaMarre and Navarro to all be candidates for September call-ups.
    Any but Brackman - he is so bad with his control I'd really hate to see him in a Reds game.

Just wanted to bump this thread to see what everyone's thoughts are with the recent changes.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I don't think Joseph will get a Reds call up.
    Or Brackman.

I agree on Hoover, Redmond, H-Rod, Didi, and Navarro.

I'm up the air as to whether they bring up Lamarre or Hamilton. Pinch runners? Both can steal a base. Might be a chance to get a look at them in a blow out. But I'm gonna guess that they don't bring them up.

Hoover, Redmond, HRod, Willie Harris, Navarro, and I think they'll call Corky up just as a tip of the cap to the guy. I feel like he's loved in the front office, his career is almost over, and they see him having a future as a coach/manager in the system.

Oh, and since Xavier Paul will be sent back down when Votto is back, add him to the list.
    Last edited by OGB; 08-06-2012 at 05:23 PM.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Turn Off Ads?