Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm frickin' Excited!

I'm frickin' Excited!

Tomorrow starts the second half and I honestly Cannot wait! I truly believe the front office will make a move of some kind before the end of the month, and I'm anxious to see what it brings.

This team is o nthe verge of being great, and the last two nights made me realize how much I enjoy watching this years' team. I can't wait to see them tomorrow night!

Go Reds!!
    "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I'm frickin' Excited!

I would be shocked if a move happens, the market is so thin and tight and expensive this year that I don't think Walt will be willing to give up the remaining top prospects it would take to get a game changer.

"You don't know what you got 'till it's gone"

These last few days have made me love this team even more. I think I'm going to the entire Cards series. I'm giddy.
    There are only two seasons - Winter and Baseball.

The NL is so wide open. There are no great teams.

The Reds are on pace for only 89 wins and have the 3rd best record and favor to pass the Pirates. The Nats are #1 and their best starter will probably be shut down.

Home field is w/ in reach and the Nats w/ no Strasburg in the playoffs could very well make the Reds the favorite.

The Reds should look to improve but even if they don't they maybe the best team almost by default.

I am stoked for this second half!!! Reds end up with 93-95 wins. Bank it!
    The best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be! -Bret Hart

Echo that, been a long week with no Reds to follow. Looking forward to an exciting second half, and hopefully a (long) playoff run!!
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post

The Reds are on pace for only 89 wins and have the 3rd best record and favor to pass the Pirates. The Nats are #1 and their best starter will probably be shut down.

Home field is w/ in reach and the Nats w/ no Strasburg in the playoffs could very well make the Reds the favorite.

The Reds should look to improve but even if they don't they maybe the best team almost by default.
    If we can stay healthy, we have as good of a shot as any team to get home field through the playoffs. Favorable home/road schedule, as I saw in another thread, and it feels like we have already played most of our tough out-of-division games.

NL teams we won't play again this regular season:
    • WAS
    • SF
    • ATL

That's three of the tougher teams in the NL, and we have gotten them all out of the way the first half. Being one game out doesn't seem so bad, from that perspective.

Out of division teams we see during the 2nd half:
    • ARI
    • COL
    • SD
    • NY
    • PHI
    • MIA
    • LA

Phi has had problems, and may be sellers, and we have 2 series against them. Ari has not played up to expectations and we have 2 series against them as well. Not incredibly easy but also not nearly as tough as the first half.

Interestingly enough, we have 15 series remaining against the NL central. We play each team in 3 series, so that has been evenly split up thus far. It's worth noting that we also only played 10 total series against NL Central teams in the first half. The 2nd half will be all about how well we can beat up on the Cubs and Astros, and how well we can compete against the others.

I think how they play is more important than who they play.

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post

There are two teams that scare me. The Dodgers and Nationals. Both have good talent, if the Dodgers get healthy and add another bat...watch out. The Nationals might be the best team in teh NL and have said they will be buyers come trade deadline...

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Of course I agree with you, but it's worth noting that they will have calmer seas the next 2.5 months. They still need to execute against teams like Houston and the Cubs.

I'd be happy with an internal move.

Move Stubbs to late inning defense, pinch running, and occasional starts against left handed pitching.

Heisey, Frazier and Ludwick should be playing virtually every day. Phillips should lead off and Cozart 2nd. Frazier or Ludwick can clean up.

Just suggesting those would be "moves" that will strengthen the team in the second half.

We can't be shining Stubbs up for a trade, we can't afford any more time to "get him going". We have to win now. Time for Walt to micromanage Dusty's line up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Agreed. It seems to be the problem with many Cincinnati sports teams. For some reason the Bengals will play good football against the Steelers or Ravens and either barely win or barely lose and it gets you thinking that they will blow out the Browns the next week only to see them win/lose on a FG.
    Same goes for the Reds. The way they played against the Indians, Yankees, and Mets was awesome, they looked untouchable. But then the next week they get swept by the Indians and lose the series to the Twins. Also, just winning series shouldn't be what they strive for. Winning 2 of 3 against the Cubs or Astros is nice, but those losses add up. Look at the Pirates, they swept the subpar teams on their schedule: Astros (4 games), Cubs, and Royals.

The Reds problem seem to be the level of play against these teams. With the easiest NL schedule heading into the 2nd half of the season, they definitely need to beat up on the Cubs, Astros, and San Diego. I believe a lot of our close losses are definitely from our offense. There are not that many games where they have been completely blown out, and I think a lot more run production can be had with a change in the lineup: Phillips to leadoff, Frazier to 4th, Heisey replaces Stubbs.

I am VERY excited about the Reds pitching staff right now. I really wish I could say the same for the offense, manager and hitting coach. Hopefully that 3-game streak to end the first half was a sign of the Reds getting back on track, and not just due to the fact it was against the Padres.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

This may be the first time this MILLENNIUM where I'm more excited to watch the Red's pitchers over the hitters. Which is why I'm hopeful the Reds will improve this second half. Lato's is hitting a nice stride and will silent all the silly "Reds lost the trade" comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    This may be the first time this MILLENNIUM where I'm more excited to watch the Red's pitchers over the hitters. Which is why I'm hopeful the Reds will improve this second half. Lato's is hitting a nice stride and will silent all the silly "Reds lost the trade" comments.
    It's amazing, isn't it? Our pitching has more potential than our offense. I never ever thought I'd be saying that during the GABP era.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

Turn Off Ads?