Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: EE Contract Extension

  1. #1
    Member powersackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,449

    EE Contract Extension

    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

    27M for 3 years. With 10M club option in year 4.

    I think AA and Toronto made a good choice locking him up.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,085
    Well, I guess Rolen's intangibles for 2010 -- and his first half stats -- contributed to a Division title. EE is a good hitter though...
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

  4. #3
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,382

    Re: EE Contract Extension

    I think it's a risk on Toronto's part. He brings nothing to the table defensively, and has always been a streaky hitter. I don't think it's a bad investment, per se. $9 million a year won't cripple anyone. But it will be interesting to see if he can continue to do this going forward.

  5. #4
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,374

    Re: EE Contract Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I think it's a risk on Toronto's part. He brings nothing to the table defensively, and has always been a streaky hitter. I don't think it's a bad investment, per se. $9 million a year won't cripple anyone. But it will be interesting to see if he can continue to do this going forward.
    Now that's being a bit unfair. He brings NOTHING to the table defensively? He's got excellent range and above average hands, he's also got a cannon...albeit a loose one. He's certainly athletic enough that if given enough reps he could play 1st or left fairly effectively I'd think. It was always his throws to first & 2nd that were his problem defensively IMO.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  6. #5
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,306

    Re: EE Contract Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Now that's being a bit unfair. He brings NOTHING to the table defensively? He's got excellent range and above average hands, he's also got a cannon...albeit a loose one. He's certainly athletic enough that if given enough reps he could play 1st or left fairly effectively I'd think. It was always his throws to first & 2nd that were his problem defensively IMO.
    EE is playing almost all 1B or DH this season. He has appeared only one game 3B. I think the Jays saw him as a not very good defensive player and made him a DH. I always thought EE would probably end up a DH in the AL.


    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ncared01.shtml
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  7. #6
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    21,081

    Re: EE Contract Extension

    I guess I see this as a risky move.
    Not really sure I'd want to make a long term commitment to EE, but maybe he's matured since he's left.
    I agree that if he maintains this level of prodution, it's a good investment.
    He just seems to be a "one year wonder" candidate.
    However, I have not watched him play, so maybe there's some legitimate adjustments he has made.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  8. #7
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,784

    Re: EE Contract Extension

    Glad he's doing well.

    Glad he's gone.

    It's a nice 3 year deal, but I think it's too much.

    Imagine this in no way possible lineup:

    Phillips 2b
    Bruce rf
    Votto lf
    J. Hamilton cf
    EE/Dunn 1b
    Frazier/EE 3b
    Mezanigan C
    Cozart SS

    Bench
    Stubbs
    Heisey

    I don't know how running a team works, but the Reds never have been one to move players to new positions with any success. Alonso was a disaster. But Dunn and EE to 1b was always imminent. Votto to LF could have been planned for and decided in 2004 or 2005. Who knows. Where's that "What if..." thread...

  9. #8
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,374

    Re: EE Contract Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    EE is playing almost all 1B or DH this season. He has appeared only one game 3B. I think the Jays saw him as a not very good defensive player and made him a DH. I always thought EE would probably end up a DH in the AL.


    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ncared01.shtml
    I don't disagree with that. Being in the AL makes that decision much easier of course. But to say he brings nothing defensively...I just thought that was a bit harsh towards EE. He's horrible in regards to throwing accuracy...but he does have SOME plus skills defensively.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  10. #9
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,784

    Re: EE Contract Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I guess I see this as a risky move.
    Not really sure I'd want to make a long term commitment to EE, but maybe he's matured since he's left.
    I agree that if he maintains this level of prodution, it's a good investment.
    He just seems to be a "one year wonder" candidate.
    However, I have not watched him play, so maybe there's some legitimate adjustments he has made.
    You can often look for some really great, sometimes career best, years from 29-33 year olds. Especially in the slugging department. I think that may be what we see from EE. I think of Phillips too, when the time comes, he may beef up even more and bomb 30 again in the coming years. Certainly not out of the question if you ask me.

  11. #10
    You're soaking in it! MartyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    3,350

    Re: EE Contract Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Glad he's doing well.

    Glad he's gone.

    It's a nice 3 year deal, but I think it's too much.

    Imagine this in no way possible lineup:

    Phillips 2b
    Bruce rf
    Votto lf
    J. Hamilton cf
    EE/Dunn 1b
    Frazier/EE 3b
    Mezanigan C
    Cozart SS

    Bench
    Stubbs
    Heisey

    I don't know how running a team works, but the Reds never have been one to move players to new positions with any success. Alonso was a disaster. But Dunn and EE to 1b was always imminent. Votto to LF could have been planned for and decided in 2004 or 2005. Who knows. Where's that "What if..." thread...
    ummm...Pete Rose, Tony Perez and Brandon Phillips all say hi!

    I agree that has usually not been a great success with Dunn or Kearns when they tried either one of them at 3B or 1B...of course I think while he was in a Reds uni, Dunn was fat and lazy.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

  12. #11
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,403

    Re: EE Contract Extension

    Brandon Phillips was moved to a new position?
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  13. #12
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,452

    Re: EE Contract Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Brandon Phillips was moved to a new position?
    If this is true I am surprised, nay shocked, no one ever suggested moving him back to shortstop.

  14. #13
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,403

    Re: EE Contract Extension

    He played 3 innings at SS in his career with the Indians. He was a 2nd baseman.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  15. #14
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,452

    Re: EE Contract Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    He played 3 innings at SS in his career with the Indians. He was a 2nd baseman.
    Though he was also used a 2b, he was primarily SS throughout his time in the minors.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=philli001bra

    For more on how he was viewed, here is a Baseball Prospectus write up on the Bartolo Colon trade from 2002.
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=1544

    Bartolo Colon was obviously the Indians' most attractive player and he netted what was likely the best collection of prospects that were available in shortstop Brandon Phillips, left-hander Cliff Lee, and outfielder Grady Sizemore.

    Phillips is a multi-tool athlete in the Barry Larkin mold. His power is starting to emerge as he physically matures and gains experience. The 21-year-old has been able to maintain a high batting average, though he could stand to be more disciplined at the plate (18 walks, 39 strikeouts this year). Phillips hit .327/.380/.506 with nine home runs and six stolen bases in 245 at-bats for Double-A Harrisburg, and was hitting .257 in 35 at-bats for Triple-A Ottawa. Defensively, he has the range and arm strength to play shortstop in the majors, though he does not always show consistency. His baserunning is more instinctive than a reflection of his speed.

    The Indians sent Phillips to Triple-A Buffalo and will keep him at shortstop, but because of the crowded Cleveland infield, his eventual position is up in the air. Omar Vizquel still has two years and $15 million left on his contract, while Gutierrez is in the first year of a three-year, $11-million deal, making it tough for Phillips to break into the middle infield. Travis Fryman has a club option for 2003 that the Indians certainly won't pick up, which would open a spot for Phillips. He did play third base in the 2001 Arizona Fall League on a semi-regular basis, so he has experience at that position. The Indians' system was almost devoid of middle-infield prospects, so the acquisition of Phillips fills an organizational hole.
    I think you could make the argument the Reds did not move Phillips as much as the transition to 2b had begun prior to the acquisition.
    Last edited by klw; 07-12-2012 at 03:20 PM.

  16. #15
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,382

    Re: EE Contract Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I don't disagree with that. Being in the AL makes that decision much easier of course. But to say he brings nothing defensively...I just thought that was a bit harsh towards EE. He's horrible in regards to throwing accuracy...but he does have SOME plus skills defensively.
    We can agree to disagree. He may have good range and hands, but his throwing accuracy totally cancelled the rest out, IMO. He was awful at 3B for the Reds, has no impact at 1B whatsoever, and obviously as a DH is never in the field. They're paying him essentially for what he can do with his bat, and his bat alone. And I'm not sure he's a good enough bet going forward to justify that contract.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25