Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ludwick COULD be that bat

Ludwick COULD be that bat

Ludwick is doing great hitting .368/.368/.526 in July and .253/.326/.582 in June. Maybe, Ludwick could pull a second-half Gomes and be that extra bat the Reds need.

I'm slowly warming up to Ludwick after he started the first two months hitting .205. If he stays hot, the Reds could go after a leadoff/obp type which would most likely be cheaper to acquire.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ludwick COULD be that bat

I have always liked Ludwick. Dusty needs to focus on a set line-up much more in the 2nd half of the year (by position not batting order). Use this 90% of the time. Use Stubbs to give an occasional OF break, use Rolen to give Frazier an occasional break, use Cairo to give other IF an occasional break. Otherwise:

OF - Bruce, Heisey, Ludwick
    3B - Frazier
    SS - Cozart
    2B - Phillips
    1B - Votto
    C - Hanigan/Mesaraco can still split time so Dusty can still get his fix of playing the wrong guy on the wrong night

I agree with you BUT Dusty doesn't give youngsters their deserving shot. Frazier is hitting his way toward RoY conversation and yet won't start over .178 hitting Rolen.... Same goes for Stubbs. Dusty just won't give Heisey a shot because Stubbs is the relative veteran over Heisey.

Dusty could seriously cost Frazier ROY. Let's say (just a guess outta the air) that Rolen gets 20 starts the rest of the way and we'll guess Frazier gets 5 in LF during those 20. That's 15 games of at bats (call it 12 as he should get a few days rest the rest of the way)

I'm guessing he'll cost him 50 AB...which could easily be the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    I agree with you BUT Dusty doesn't give youngsters their deserving shot. Frazier is hitting his way toward RoY conversation and yet won't start over .178 hitting Rolen.... Same goes for Stubbs. Dusty just won't give Heisey a shot because Stubbs is the relative veteran over Heisey.
    Fast

Ludwick >>>> Heisey. Not even close, IMO. Ludwick drives in runs, something this team desperately needs.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Ludwick >>>> Heisey. Not even close, IMO. Ludwick drives in runs, something this team desperately needs.
    Maybe, but the real point is that (Ludwick or Heisey) >>>> Stubbs. And should be playing 90% of the time over him.

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    Maybe, but the real point is that (Ludwick or Heisey) >>>> Stubbs. And should be playing 90% of the time over him.
    I realize I'm a longtime Stubbs homer still clinging to the bandwagon, but I still can't give up on him quite yet. Heisey gives us nothing that Stubbs can't do. In fact, at this point I'd call Stubbs a slightly more talented and athletic version of Heisey. Other than an uncharacteristic power surge in 2011, Heisey has done nothing at the ML level and has been a huge disappointment so far in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I realize I'm a longtime Stubbs homer still clinging to the bandwagon, but I still can't give up on him quite yet. Heisey gives us nothing that Stubbs can't do. In fact, at this point I'd call Stubbs a slightly more talented and athletic version of Heisey. Other than an uncharacteristic power surge in 2011, Heisey has done nothing at the ML level and has been a huge disappointment so far in 2012.
    And yet is still out-OPSing Stubbs by about 50 points (.699-.653). If Heisey is a huge disappointment in 2012, what does that make Drew?
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-12-2012 at 10:16 PM.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    And yet is still OPSing Stubbs by about 50 points (.699-.653). If Heisey is a huge disappointment in 2012, what does that make Drew?
    fast?

The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Dusty could seriously cost Frazier ROY. Let's say (just a guess outta the air) that Rolen gets 20 starts the rest of the way and we'll guess Frazier gets 5 in LF during those 20. That's 15 games of at bats (call it 12 as he should get a few days rest the rest of the way)

I'm guessing he'll cost him 50 AB...which could easily be the difference.

Frazier has no shot at ROY. Not that he isn't good enough, but Bryce Harper already has that locked up due to media hype. Frazier would need much better numbers than Harper to even have a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by reds700 View Post
    Frazier has no shot at ROY. Not that he isn't good enough, but Bryce Harper already has that locked up due to media hype. Frazier would need much better numbers than Harper to even have a shot.
    This is unfortunately 100% true.

Correct me if I'm wrong....but didn't Heisey play a lot better when he got to play every day? As opposed to Stubbs, who might occasionally hit a 450-foot home run, and he seems as likely to do this in a PH role as he is playing every day, it doesn't seem to improve him at all to get regular playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong....but didn't Heisey play a lot better when he got to play every day? As opposed to Stubbs, who might occasionally hit a 450-foot home run, and he seems as likely to do this in a PH role as he is playing every day, it doesn't seem to improve him at all to get regular playing time.
    Stubbs digressing from good, consistent play is the most frustrating thing about this season. He's too fast to keep out of the lineup, hopefully he wakes up this second half.

Heisey is playing better than Stubbs, but Drew can and has played very well at times this season. Again, his speed is the X factor that trumps most reasoning.

As the team is currently configured the Reds OF should be as follows:

LF Ludwick batting #4
    CF Stubbs vs L/ Heisey vs R batting #2
    RF Bruce batting #5

My reasoning:

Ludwick:

I am not completely sold on him and believe he could quickly revert back to the 650OPs noodle bat he was in April & May. In June & July though he has been a .900OPS bat and I think you put him cleanup between Votto and Bruce and ride him while he is hot. If he reverts back to a noodle bat you can change on the other hand if he stays a .900 OPS bat the rest of the season I think there is a great chance for October baseball.

Stubbs:

Stubbs has been dreadful this year but I was absolutely shocked to find out he is a career .839OPS bat vs LHP. As bad as he has been this year he is still an .804 OPS bat vs LHP. The bottom line is IF he hits he does provide a lot for this team, speed on the bases excellent range in CF. He hits lefties very well that's where he should be. Conversely with a righty on the hill I am not sure I even want him at the ballpark.

Heisey:

Its pretty simple Vs LHP Stubbs>Heisey. Vs RHP Heisey>Stubbs. I am not saying Heisey is a rockstar vs RHP, but he is not helpless like Stubbs.

Turn Off Ads?