Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Xavier Paul

Reds sign Xavier Paul

Assigned to Louisville
    Originally drafted by dodgers, got 250 or so ab's for Pit last year
    90 career k's, 93 career hits, .288 career ob%. Should have seen this coming, he's a classic Red outfielder. Dusty is setting his daughter up with him as we speak (type) no doubt.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds sign Xavier Paul

His minor league numbers indicate he's a decent fourth OF type.

Can play CF or the corners, okay patience, okay power.

He's a nice option to hide in Louisville. Hits LH.

Might be a nice compliment to either Stubbs or Heisey in CF for the Reds, assuming the other gets dealt for more help elsewhere.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    His minor league numbers indicate he's a decent fourth OF type.

Can play CF or the corners, okay patience, okay power.

He's a nice option to hide in Louisville. Hits LH.

Might be a nice compliment to either Stubbs or Heisey in CF for the Reds, assuming the other gets dealt for more help elsewhere.
    A quick look at fangraphs tells me he takes walks at a 5.6% clip and strikes out at a 21.9% clip. That's no bueno.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Okay patience? Okay power? What #'s tell you that?
    3 hrs and 23 walks in 411 plate app suggest to me that he does not have okay power or patience.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Another one of the moves that leaves you scratching your head.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

He's a crap shoot. He could come up if somebody got hurt and operate as a 5th OF/emergency 1B. He really never developed into the player the Dodgers expected and now he will probably float between AAA and MLB for the next 7 years or until he tires of it and goes to Japan or retires....or, maybe something will suddenly click and he will get the right opportunity and become a solid LF'er...probably not...

Bum

He's put up nice minor league numbers, and will likely just serve as depth in AAA. And who knows, maybe it could finally 'click' with him in the majors. Certainly not a move worth getting upset about in the slightest.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Why? He's going to AAA. He hit .318 in the IL before opting for release, he's LH. They released Gathright too, so it's not like we hoarding these type of players.

I don't see anything wrong with picking up a player like this to add as depth. Honestly, any player signed to your AAA team that has played in the bigs should be good. We need depth bad there.

Who knows, maybe it's a pre-cursor to a trade for one of our current OF'ers.
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 07-12-2012 at 05:57 PM.

The problem with signing the Xavier Pauls of the world is that he'll be fine "depth" unless he actually, you know, plays for the Reds.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    The problem with signing the Xavier Pauls of the world is that he'll be fine "depth" unless he actually, you know, plays for the Reds.
    Well, someone always has to be "depth." Rather it be him than Felix Perez just yet...or Costanzo, or Dorn (gone), or Gathright (gone), Phipps (bad), Cody Puckett (bad).

Who's your next OF'er there, or do you have another AAA OF'er floating around as a Free Agent?

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

It's funny that the current International League batting leader (Paul) just opted out of his deal and switched teams. Earlier this season the guy who still leads the IL in homers and RBI, Brad Eldred, just opted out so he could go play in Korea or Japan or somewhere.

Louisville has the worst record in the IL by several games and simply needed the boost. The Bats are a good affiliate that does pretty well and I think the Reds were just trying to throw 'em a bone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollcat View Post
    Okay patience? Okay power? What #'s tell you that?
    3 hrs and 23 walks in 411 plate app suggest to me that he does not have okay power or patience.
    His minor league numbers.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

This reads like a shorter version of the "Reds sign Joey Gathright" thread. Joey was recently released.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    It's a minor league contract for a team that is short on OF depth. It's not like he is starting in CF tommorow and batting leadoff for the Reds. It really could not be easier to understand.

Can't forget that Louisville needs to field a team too.

Turn Off Ads?