Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 7/13

Birthdays: 7/13

Reds:

Ryan Ludwick (34) -One of only 57 hitters in major league history to bat right and throw left...His brother Eric pitched in the majors (2-10, 8.35).

Don Pavletich (74) -Spent the better part of the decade of the 1960s backing up Johnny Edwards as Reds catcher.

Daryl Spencer (84) -Ended his career as a backup IF with the 1963 Reds...The Reds cut him on his birthday; real classy, guys...Ended up becoming a big star in Japanese baseball.

Others:

Yadier Molina (30) -I know he's good, but that doesn't mean I still can't hate him...

Ruben Gomez -Nicknamed "El Divino Loco", or The Divine Madman"... Pitched a complete game shutout victory in the first major league game ever played on the west coast, in 1958...Remembered for the Joe Adcock incident; Adcock homered off of him, then in the next bat Gomez hit him with a pitch. An irate Adcock charged the mound, and Gomez, deciding that discretion was the better part of valor, turned around and hotfooted it into center field, with Adcock in pursuit...When Gomez was pitching in the Mexican League, a street urchin talked him into buying a lottery ticket because it matched his jersey number. It ended up being a $35,000 winning ticket, and Gomez sought out the boy and gave the money to him. Decades later, when he was in the hospital fighting cancer, a doctor came up to him and asked to shake his hand. "I was the little boy who sold you the lottery ticket", the doctor said, "And because of your generosity I was able to go to medical school and become a doctor".

Stanley Coveleski -He won 20 in the majors five times; his brother Harry did it three times. A spitballer who had unusual control; he once pitched seven consecutive innings in a game without having a pitch called as a ball.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 7/13

Wow! That's an amazing story about Gomez and the lottery ticket.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar
    I throw left and bat right. Never made it to the Majors, though.
    Witty signature.

I throw left and bat right. Never made it to the Majors, though.
    Rickey Henderson did it too... so maybe you need to start referring to yourself in the third person...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Exactly. That's freakin incredible.

And I haven't said it in a while, but Chico...I love these posts.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I know it must be true if chico posts it but it sounds like something that is so beyond belief that you have to look on Snopes.com to be sure about it.

Ok, I confess, I looked on Snopes...but found nothing.

Another Red to add to the list:

Choo is 31 today!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

9. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (07-13-2013), cumberlandreds (07-15-2013)

Turn Off Ads?