Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: 7/13/12 - Reds vs Cardinals

Re: 7/13/12 - Reds vs Cardinals

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I've never heard "junk" used as a positive. Only we should be hitting this junk. Or why can't we hit this junk?

And for those who said junk and garbage weren't synonymous

junk/jəNGk/
    Noun:
    Old or discarded articles that are considered useless or of little value.
    A flat-bottomed sailing vessel typical in China and the East Indies, with a prominent stem, a high stern, and lugsails.
    Verb:
    Discard or abandon unceremoniously.
    Synonyms:
    noun. trash - rubbish - refuse - lumber
    verb. scrap - discard
    I was not referring to the literal definition of junk, as I said before. This is in terms of baseball.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wikipedia for "junk" in baseball terminology

breaking balls and knuckleballs, pitches that are difficult to hit due to movement rather than velocity. The term is also used to describe a "junk pitcher" or a junkball pitcher. "I couldn't believe he threw me a fastball because he had me down 1-2," Thames said. "He's usually a junk pitcher and he tried to sneak a fastball past me, and he left it up."[7] See also: Eephus pitch

I looked back at the 1st run scored on the single by Shumaker. Phillips should have had that ball and that would have been out number 3. Pitching has been good in this one thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by cbowen2112 View Post
    I looked back at the 1st run scored on the single by Shumaker. Phillips should have had that ball and that would have been out number 3. Pitching has been good in this one thus far.
    2 under the glove tonight. Rare.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    2 under the glove tonight. Rare.
    Yeah, we are so used to those being routine.

Stubbs started the night at .215. He's now at .212. I am no math whiz but is there a chance he's at .000 after his next 211 at bats?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Stubbs started the night at .215. He's now at .212. I am no math whiz but is there a chance he's at .000 after his next 211 at bats?

I know this is a Captain Obvious statement ... But MAN, that STL lineup has nearly all of its regulars hitting .300!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Reds44 it's ok to just admit you stepped in it when challenging the junk remark. It's painful to watch you digging in on this.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    No. But he'll get a crack at it in the 2 hole to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I know this is a Captain Obvious statement ... But MAN, that STL lineup has nearly all of its regulars hitting .300!
    They're awfully tough.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    And are only in 3rd. We need a new hitting coach. Like now. Oh and better hitters.

Junk has a negative connotation, including in baseball. All I'm saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

So why wasn't Marshall brought in for Jay? Anybody?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

This is scary.

Turn Off Ads?