Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jose Ortiz

Jose Ortiz

Now that he's signed, anyone have any info on him? I've tried searching some, and because there is seemingly 100 other Jose Ortiz', I can't find much. Anyone else?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jose Ortiz

He's a catcher with plus defensive tools and projects to have power and a little hit tool. Played for Puerto Rico Academy, IIRC, and wasn't expected to sign in the hopes of improving his draft status.

Was discussed (again, IIRC) as a possible high-round pick in later drafts. "One to watch" was the phrase, I think.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Great to hear he signed. Our catching depth is pretty solid, but never hurts to add more.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Great to hear he signed. Our catching depth is pretty solid, but never hurts to add more.
    Especially with how these guys go through injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Especially with how these guys go through injuries.
    There was some batting practice video of him on draft day, but went back and couldn't find it. Liked his swing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Our catching depth is pretty solid
    I know what you mean, but I've come to the conclusion there is no such thing as good catching depth or excess catching.

Navarro and Barnhart look solid. Beyond that, I see nothing.

And Navarro is likely gone after this season, while Barnhart isn't a sure thing.

Catching is among the poorest positions, IMO, in the Red talent pipeline.

Ortiz won't hit full-season ball for a year, perhaps two.

It all depends on Barnhart, really.

What puzzled me is how little info was out there om Ortiz, I think just some tournament info. Nothing about having college plans or anything. Must have had some options or he would have signed sooner, don't you think?,
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Navarro and Barnhart look solid. Beyond that, I see nothing.

And Navarro is likely gone after this season, while Barnhart isn't a sure thing.

Catching is among the poorest positions, IMO, in the Red talent pipeline.

Ortiz won't hit full-season ball for a year, perhaps two.

It all depends on Barnhart, really.
    Yovan Gonzalez my friend. Having a very good year at Dayton. Read up on him!

Bumping this thread because Ortiz has been good in small samples over two Rookie league seasons. The posts above call him a plus defensive catcher, if so, he may be something down he road. Here are his limited stats.http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=ortiz-014jos

Based on the reports from last draft day and those stats, I'm getting a little enthused about this kid. Anybody know if this is expected or a mirage?

Is this kid a potential top 10 prospect?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (07-15-2013),OnBaseMachine (07-13-2013),RedEye (07-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Bumping this thread because Ortiz has been good in small samples over two Rookie league seasons. The posts above call him a plus defensive catcher, if so, he may be something down he road. Here are his limited stats.http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=ortiz-014jos

Based on the reports from last draft day and those stats, I'm getting a little enthused about this kid. Anybody know if this is expected or a mirage?

Is this kid a potential top 10 prospect?
    I'm with you. I know it's an extremely-small sample size, but I'm very excited about Ortiz. And I remember there was some debate whether he would sign last year (when he was a 17th round pick). Thank goodness he did. We have some solid catching depth in the minors with Barnhart, Y.Gonzalez, Hudson and especially Ortiz. The other guy at Billings -- Daniel Paula -- is having a good year as well. I have no idea how good/bad Paula is defensively though. Good to know Ortiz is a "plus" defensive catcher.

BTW: Anyone notice that our 12th-round pick this year -- catcher Shedric Long -- finally got his first hit for the AZL Reds? Poor kid was 0-for-his-first-21. Now he's rocking the 1-for-22 (.045 if you're scoring at home, or even if you're alone).

There was a video of Ortiz taking batting practice back before he was drafted (can't find it anywhere now). Something about him though made me think of Bo Diaz (loved Bo while he was a Red).

Wow, 5 HR, 2 2B in 53 plate appearances?

Get on with your bad self, Jose.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Wow, 5 HR, 2 2B in 53 plate appearances?

Get on with your bad self, Jose.
    .364 ISO. Wow.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    .364 ISO. Wow.
    0 E / 1 PB / 35% CS (7 for 20) in 14 games caught this year

Small sample size but at 19 years 1 month and 6 days, that impresses me more that his bat.

Cannot wait to see him in Dayton next year.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=ortiz-014jos

Turn Off Ads?