Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marty Brennaman

Re: Marty Brennaman

He's on vacation, and then Thom said last night it was his honeymoon. I think he was kidding, maybe it's a 2nd honeymoon kinda thing. Or he is suspended, I don't really know...
    He is still married to Amanda Ingram, at least I think?

As far as working, I think Marty has just made a decision to work less (do what he wants while he still can), he will turn 70 this month.
    I don't think Scully travels anymore, unless it's to San Diego or San Fran.
    Last edited by Falcon7; 07-18-2012 at 11:36 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    I also think the play-by-play guy should do all 9 innings. I don't like the swapping; Cowboy and Welsh are terrible at play-by-play, but are great color analysts.

Marty, as far as I remember, never worked play-by-play all 9. He sure as hell isn't going to start now.

I think it is a great idea for him to get away as often as he wishes. He has earned it. Similar to Carson taking Mondays and Fridays off of the Tonight Show. If management doesn't like it, they can retire him. If they don't have the balls, that's their problem.

I agree that Welsh is awkward on radio. Like him on TV, though.

Creepy.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

My memory could be playing tricks on me, but I thought through the 80's and into the 90's Joe would only be by himself for 1 or 2 innings in the middle of the game and Marty would do play-by-play the rest. Then, if I remember correct they went to a 3-3-3 split with Joe doing the 4th, 5th and 6th innings and extra innings (I always hated it when Joe called the end of a win and I didn't get to hear "...and this one belongs to the Reds").
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
    He is still married to Amanda Ingram, at least I think?
    That's what I thought too. Ingram is at least 30 years younger than Marty.

Came here to voice my displeasure with Doug Flynn. Why is he on and when will he leave? Marty is the best. Up there right beside Scully. Cowboy is great as a color man, but horrible as play-by-play. Kelch is ok, but I don't like his delivery. Seems like he gets on Marty's nerves sometimes too. Thom is ok, has a good voice and sounds like Marty, which is good. Welsh has a good broadcasting voice. Grande offends me because the word "damn" offends him. Jeff Piecorro is THE WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN/HEARD. HORRIBLE broadcasting voice. Every time I look at him, he reminds me of a drunk, skirt-chaser you'd find in a strip club at 1pm. I wish he'd just go away, never to return. Worst part is, living in Lexington, we have to put up with him as color man during football season. Just....please.....go away.

8. Likes:

JayBruceFan (08-14-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    My humble opinion is if Marty is too old to work 162 games then he needs to step aside. He is a bitter old guy who used to be great but now is well....not so good.
    Yep, he's like the over the hill pitcher that is still clinging on, despite losing all effectiveness.
    Marty stopped enjoying the Reds around the time that Joe was forced out.
    He doesn't have much time left on this earth and has plenty of money, not sure why he keeps working when he obviously dreads it.
    He needs to spend some time with that young wife of his. Although maybe she likes the fact that he's still working and out of her hair lol.
    I can't imagine living with Marty 24/7.

Even these last few years when the Reds have been contending, all Marty does is complain about how the players "aren't getting it done".. It got old about 10 years ago. And why do they have that stupid "Ask Marty" segment on the radio.. Half the time, Marty answers "Don't know, don't care".. geez, he can't even spend 10 minutes on the internet to give one of his fans a decent answer? Heck, there's probably someone at the station that could do the research for him and then he just has to read the cue card..

Marty was wonderful in the 80's and most of the 90's, but his time has passed. It's such a shame he's become such a bitter old grouch. He was blessed enough to live the dream of being an MLB announcer, and all he can do is complain about rain delays and talk about golf on the air. Even though he has his 3 innings off to read his books, he can't be professional enough to pretend to enjoy the Reds for 6 innings a day.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

10. Likes:

toledodan (08-18-2014)

At this point, give me a couple phone sex operators doing play by play and youll have my attention! For now, games are a snoozer.

I didn't grow up with Marty and have only listened to him since 2007, but he does come off as a grumpy, snarly, old grouch. I don't really care, but I can see how it would be kind of annoying to a lot of people. In fact, if I happen to tune in after the game has started, within five seconds of listening to Marty, I can tell if the Reds are winning or not. He just has that "tone" when the Reds aren't doing well.

On the other hand, the Cowboy always sounds the same. One thing that drives me nuts is that when he's by himself, he'll say something like "After five and a half, it's a 4-3 ballgame". Uh, for those of us who just tuned in, who's ahead? He does this a lot. But man, I love the Cowboy.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkimadee View Post
    The day that Marty isn't the Reds play by play guy will be one of the saddest days in Cincinnati. He is Reds baseball as far as I'm concerned.
    For my money, that was Joe. Announcing wasn't a job for Joe as baseball was his love. You could hear the joy, enthusiasm, and disappointment in his voice no matter what words he was (or wasn't) using to describe the action. He was just as invested in the game as I was, he just happened to be calling it.

I won't even register with me when Marty is gone.

GL

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-29-2014),RedlegJake (10-06-2014),REDREAD (08-22-2014)

I love listening to Marty. Would I if I hadn't grown up listening to him call Big Red Machine games? I think so. He and Brantley make a much better broadcast team than I ever thought they might. I enjoy them. I liked Doug Flynn as a player, but not at all in the booth. Here's hoping we have many more years of Marty.

I'm not a huge Marty fan, or the "Cowboy" for that matter. Was a huge Nuxhall fan.

I grew up listening to Marty and Joe. I have moved from Cincy to Chicago, and listening to Marty gives me a nostalgic feeling of my childhood. Since I'm in Chicago, I also listen to Pat Hughes (Cubs) on WGN radio and Ed Farmer (White Sox) on 670 The Score. Until you leave Cincy and start listening to other announcers, you don't realize just how good you have it with Marty. He's opinionated, but he's genuine. Pat Hughes might as well be high as he's ALWAYS in a good mood even when his Cubbies are being destroyed. Ed Farmer sounds unhappy and bored regardless of the White Sox score. John Rooney, who is now the radio lead for the Cardinals, used to be in the booth with Ed Farmer, and he at least showed signs of life. I miss hearing him for White Sox games, but I have zero interest in listening to a Cards game.

My point is Marty is a huge fixture in Reds baseball. He seems to truly love the team, and shares in our joys and frustrations with the team each year. Most Reds fans can't recall a time that he wasn't with the Reds. It will be a sad day when he leaves the game. It was hard losing Joe. I'm not looking forward to losing Marty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Until you leave Cincy and start listening to other announcers, you don't realize just how good you have it with Marty. He's opinionated, but he's genuine. Pat Hughes might as well be high as he's ALWAYS in a good mood even when his Cubbies are being destroyed.
    As a lifelong Reds fan who's lived in the Atlanta metro area the past several years, I can attest to what you're saying. The Braves announcers might as well be yes men and advertisers. It's extremely annoying having people who are just homers and nothing else (next time the Reds are playing the Braves, listen to Joe Simpson and Chip Caray, and you'll see what I mean). I think when it was Marty and Joe there was a balance between them. Joe was an everyman and Marty was more or less everything else. You really couldn't help but to love listening to them, especially Joe when a Reds player hit a home run. That balance has been lost, so what you have is an older, even more curmudgeonly Marty, and with that more open criticisms of the players, which sometimes grates on people (especially when he starts bashing Votto for not being more of a free swinger and RBI hitter). Still, believe me, when you listen to a couple of worshipers of everything the players do, you don't mind that. I appreciate Marty's honesty, if when I disagree with him. Plus, Cubs fans hate him. There's just something great about that!
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and [the St. Louis Cardinals]."--Benjamin Disraeli

19. Likes:

Joseph (09-03-2014)

Marty is the best. If he's on the players, they deserve it.... Brantley needs to do color only. Get rid of Kelch. When Marty retires, Thom needs to do play by play all 9 with Brantley doing color.

Turn Off Ads?