Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 56 of 56

Thread: Marty Brennaman

  1. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    11

    Re: Marty Brennaman

    Reds Fans who prefer to feel insulated, ignorant and blind homers hate Marty and Thom.

    They want George Grande cause he was cheery.

    The majority of our fans think it's mean and awful to point out the Reds have failed to win a playoff series in 19 straight seasons


    That's too much of a reality for ppl to understand, for some reason.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Member PaulyOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    14

    Re: Marty Brennaman

    You can't lump Marty and Thom together. They are father and son, but that's where the similarities end.

    I'm a Reds fan who is just fine with Marty, and just fine with his criticisms, which are generally fair and on point. I think he's been a bit re-energized by working with Cowboy and Kelch, and he's actually LESS grouchy than he's been in the past. He seems to be having a lot more fun than in the past. I enjoy the radio broadcasts.

    Thom on the other hand. Good lord. How anyone with a functioning brain or functioning ears can like Thom is beyond me. He's arrogant, ill-informed, and probably the most negative announcer I have ever heard. I did a good job avoiding him at all costs this year and I'm much happier for it. Unfortunately, I get stuck hearing him do the Ohio State-UC game a week ago Saturday. Now, to me, he's not nearly as terrible when doing football, but evidently he's still bad. The day after the OSU game, he went over to Pittsburgh and called the Steelers-Bucs game. A co-worker who is a Steelers fan asked me "How can you listen to that guy? He's insufferable." I told him "I don't, and his act is worse on Reds games."

  4. Likes:

    reds1869 (10-15-2014)

  5. #48
    * Bat Votto Second * goreds2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    OH H - EYE OH
    Posts
    2,684

    Re: Marty Brennaman

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulyOH View Post
    You can't lump Marty and Thom together. They are father and son, but that's where the similarities end.

    I'm a Reds fan who is just fine with Marty, and just fine with his criticisms, which are generally fair and on point. I think he's been a bit re-energized by working with Cowboy and Kelch, and he's actually LESS grouchy than he's been in the past. He seems to be having a lot more fun than in the past. I enjoy the radio broadcasts.

    Thom on the other hand. Good lord. How anyone with a functioning brain or functioning ears can like Thom is beyond me. He's arrogant, ill-informed, and probably the most negative announcer I have ever heard. I did a good job avoiding him at all costs this year and I'm much happier for it. Unfortunately, I get stuck hearing him do the Ohio State-UC game a week ago Saturday. Now, to me, he's not nearly as terrible when doing football, but evidently he's still bad. The day after the OSU game, he went over to Pittsburgh and called the Steelers-Bucs game. A co-worker who is a Steelers fan asked me "How can you listen to that guy? He's insufferable." I told him "I don't, and his act is worse on Reds games."
    I agree 100% of all your comments. Could not have said it better myself.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

    Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

  6. #49
    Member Moosie52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    580

    Re: Marty Brennaman

    Thom, like Flounder, is a legacy. I find him pompous and unpleasant to listen to. I know Chris has to bite his tongue whenever Thom starts one of his sermons.

  7. Likes:

    PaulyOH (10-15-2014), reds1869 (10-15-2014)

  8. #50
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,472

    Re: Marty Brennaman

    I love Marty. He is in the small handful of announcers I could listen to all day, with Vin Scully headlining the list. Thom, on the other hand, makes me hit the mute button. He is ok for football but only because most football announcers are truly horrible.

  9. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    137

    Re: Marty Brennaman

    Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    I agree 100% of all your comments. Could not have said it better myself.
    I would definitely agree. Marty seems fair with much of criticism. He is more of a grumpy old guy than he was five years ago, but the Cowboy usually does inject some humor when he goes overboard.

    Thom does get really old. You can tell Chris can't stand him, although Chris seems to get along with everyone else.

    Also, it would be nice to get a play by play guy who actually covers the whole season. I don't know if Fox pays part of Tom's salary but if not, I would cut him loose. There are plenty of good play by play guys given their are only 30 franchises.

  10. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,659

    Re: Marty Brennaman

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric from NC View Post
    Marty seems fair with much of criticism. He is more of a grumpy old guy than he was five years ago,
    I very much disagree. Marty seems toned down compared to where he was 5 years ago.

    I've postulated before that joe's death hit Marty's announcing very hard. Marty's respect for joe kept him from getting too bitter when players failed, because joe had been there and knew how hard the game is.

    Now, all of Marty's broadcast partners are star struck by "the hall of famer" and anything dad/the old man says is gospel.

    I don't know if I listened less this year or if he changed, but I found him much less grumpy this last season.

    Maybe I was so disappointed in the team's outcome that I just took his complants in stride.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

  11. #53
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,581

    Re: Marty Brennaman

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRon View Post
    Reds Fans who prefer to feel insulated, ignorant and blind homers hate Marty and Thom.

    They want George Grande cause he was cheery.

    The majority of our fans think it's mean and awful to point out the Reds have failed to win a playoff series in 19 straight seasons


    That's too much of a reality for ppl to understand, for some reason.
    See, my problem is that I am not ignorant or a blind homer, it's that I'm a very educated fan and a lot of the stuff that Marty says simply isn't accurate. He says things about players and their value or their perceived abilities that aren't correct. When players fail, in a game designed around failure, he acts at times as if they did so on purpose just to spite him. It's a tired and annoying act. If I wanted to listen to that I would go watch a game at a sports bar with a bunch of drunks. At least they have an excuse.

    When there is a big call that needs to be made, Marty is freaking outstanding. He's among the best. But in the other 95% of the time, he's painful to listen to and I honestly can't believe that the team pays him, much less as well as they do, to rip the team to shreds. I'm not saying he needs to pucker up and kiss butts. But you also don't have to sound like they did something to you out of spite while going on about it for 5 minutes because someone struck out or grounded out or gave up a run. Tell me what happened, not how you feel about it.

  12. Likes:

    REDREAD (10-20-2014)

  13. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    29

    Re: Marty Brennaman

    I used to love Marty, strong dislike for tHom. Agree w/ Doug on this one, Marty seems to think guys just aren't trying hard enough when they fail which just bugs the crap out of me. Or the coaches haven't done their job. Or like he's just bored, taking the check. His son is just ignorant of how difficult this game is, in all facets, and shows w/ each and every non-perfect performance by either team, Cincy or opponent. I've loved papa B. for most of my life, but seems to me like he should just retire, go golfing/fishing and call it a great career. Time/complacency wait for no-one. Happens to the best.

  14. Likes:

    REDREAD (10-20-2014)

  15. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5

    Re: Marty Brennaman

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    See, my problem is that I am not ignorant or a blind homer, it's that I'm a very educated fan and a lot of the stuff that Marty says simply isn't accurate. He says things about players and their value or their perceived abilities that aren't correct. When players fail, in a game designed around failure, he acts at times as if they did so on purpose just to spite him. It's a tired and annoying act. If I wanted to listen to that I would go watch a game at a sports bar with a bunch of drunks. At least they have an excuse.
    I find that many times, Brennamen makes the same comments that I make while I am watching the game. In my estimation though, he does not accentuate the player's weakness or failure IF it is an anomaly in their game, but he does go into a tailspin if the players cannot execute the basic fundamentals of the game--and they show this time and time and time again.

    For example, a team or player's inability to put the ball in play with less than two outs and a man at third.
    A team or player's inability to hit to the rightside with a man on second and no outs.
    A team or player's inability to either take the extra base or to know when not to advance.

    Baseball is a simple game with simple cardinal rules--and he gets irritated, like many fans do, when these basic fundamental rules are continually broken.

  16. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4

    Re: Marty Brennaman

    Marty is a legend.
    The thankful receiver bears a plentiful harvest.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25