Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should the Nationals stick to the Strasburg plan?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, yank him right at 160 innings

16 32.65%
  • Play it by ear

22 44.90%
  • Let him pitch as long as they're in the race

11 22.45%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting question: pull Strasburg at 160 IP?

Interesting question: pull Strasburg at 160 IP?

I saw this topic being discussed today on ESPN and it's an interesting one. The Nationals insist they will pull the plug on Strasburg once he reaches 160 innings this year (he's currently at 100).

Should the Nationals waive this plan or stick to it?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Interesting question: pull Strasburg at 160 IP?

My truthful answer would be to play it by ear, see where they are, see what the doctors say, etc., but I think the Nats would be very smart to lift him after 160 innings and I would support that if I were a Nats fan. He's too young and too good to risk losing long-term, and the makeup of the team is such that I don't think this year will be their last chance to compete.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

He's already had one tendon replacement surgery and he's still only 23. I'd shut him down and not fret over it for a second.

Probably not as long as they're in first.

I might move him down to the 5th slot, keep him on a short leash and limit his pitches and innings until the playoffs though.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Pennants fly forever. Pitchers arms don't last nearly as long, and are easier to replace.

Let him pitch. Odds are that he'll get injured even if they treat him with kid gloves. Plus, I've seen many teams built much more soundly for the future than the Nats fall apart after their big breakout year. As they say, you don't choose pennant years, they choose you.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

No way they pull him in a pennant race with a month to go or longer. as long as this team is in first I say let him pitch. maybe they can just limit his innings a little on each start. Do what the Rockies are doing so to speak.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    He's already had one tendon replacement surgery and he's still only 23. I'd shut him down and not fret over it for a second.
    I second this.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post

I might move him down to the 5th slot.....
    ...where he would pitch every 5th day.....

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    ...where he would pitch every 5th day.....
    5th starters typically get skipped every few turns through the rotation so it would limit his innings some.
    School's out. What did you expect?

They are going about it all wrong. Limit to 160 ish yes. But pull the plug now. Send him to the DL with "oblique issues" for 30 days. Let him be with the team. Then pitch him down the stretch and playoffs.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    They are going about it all wrong. Limit to 160 ish yes. But pull the plug now. Send him to the DL with "oblique issues" for 30 days. Let him be with the team. Then pitch him down the stretch and playoffs.
    You can't DL players without their permission.

LOL what happened to the good old days when 160 innings was half a seasons work.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Quote Originally Posted by vic715 View Post
    What happened to the good old days when 160 innings was a half a seasons work.
    Pitch counts in little leagues because kids started throwing curves at age 11 and blowing out their arms at 13.

Definitely shut him down. The Nationals have the chance to be competitive for years to come. This isn't an "all in" year a la Milwaukee in 2011, and they don't have to go for it all now. Save Strasburg some wear and tear to ensure he can contribute for the next several seasons.

I don't know much about arm injuries but I think it is far from an exact science. I'd play it by ear and go as long as possible.

Turn Off Ads?