Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: 7.14.12 Cardinals @ Reds

Re: 7.14.12 Cardinals @ Reds

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Stop this blasphemy. Dusty Baker is the only manager in the majors allowed to make questionable decisions!
    I'm absolutely furious right now with Matheny. I have not been quick to judge him on moves made because he is a rookie manager and like all rookies, he's going to have a learning curve (Mattingly wasting a pitcher due to coming out on a mound last year is a perfect example). This was just a horrible decision on his part and could have proven to be the key at bat of the game. Carpenter is OPSing .792 against left handed pitchers and Butters is OPSing .771 against left handed batters. To me, its clear who they should have used in that at bat, match ups be damned. I do not understand Matheny's love/fascination with Butters (Tyler Greene).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Butters is a great nickname for a team's worst player. Lol. I might just have to steal that
    hahaha thanks. I came up with it because not only does he look like Butters from South Park but he has the same manerisms as the character. After he botched a routine pop-up on the infield last year, I gave him that name and called him that ever since. It seems like everything he does he screws up, like Butters from South Park. I'm sure he's a nice human being but he's only on the roster because he's out of options and is essentially there on scholarship.

Ludwick the hero in both games. Play him everyday if you're not going to go after a bat.

Great win.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

The Reds yesterday and today have impressed me, and I've generally been a bit pessimistic. If they keep playing games like this and win more than they lose, I'll be pleased.

The bullpen was terrific today too. Pitched 4 innings and only gave up 1 run (and that was with runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs in the 6th).

Don't bother looking for WLW's replay of Ludwick's shot. Chris Welsh was doing the play by play and it was as bad as a game winning call can get. Absolutely horrid.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Butters is a great nickname for a team's worst player. Lol. I might just have to steal that
    Butters is what the fans in Calgary called ex-Flames coach Brent Sutter. His brother, ex-GM of Flames, and now coach of the Stanley Cup winning LA Kings, Daryl Sutter was, of course, Dutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Don't bother looking for WLW's replay of Ludwick's shot. Chris Welsh was doing the play by play and it was as bad as a game winning call can get. Absolutely horrid.
    I too was listening. I still have no idea what happened.

Holy crap I'm glad I wasn't the only one listening. It was TERRIBLE. I was so dazed and confused after it happened I didn't even have time to get excited about the hit.

Stat geek...and proud
    To be fair, the whole ballpark thought it was going to be off the wall. I don't know what it looked like on TV.

It sounded fine to me. He described a low line drive and said "gone". Described the bench bouncing out of the dugout and into the field. It was a huge run on sentence but it was all there.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    The bullpen was terrific today too. Pitched 4 innings and only gave up 1 run (and that was with runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs in the 6th).
    The bullpen actually gave up zero runs, as both runs were credited to Leake.

When a bullpen comes in with runners on 2nd and third and no outs, only allowing 1 of those runners to score is a great job. A tough blown save.

That bunt hit to score the 2nd run was the only hit allowed by the Reds' bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    To be fair, the whole ballpark thought it was going to be off the wall. I don't know what it looked like on TV.
    He mumbled and you had no idea what was going on until after it cleared the wall. The listener didn't know if it was a foul ball, an out or anything until he said it was gone. Any Reds fan knew it was an extra base hit off the bat and that's worth getting excited about. How 'bout a call like this:

"low line drive, deep left field, is it high enough? Yes! Gone! Reds win!"

I think the Reds have gotten to the point where they have too many announcers. No way Welsh should be doing any play by play. Just because Marty's a prima donna and refuses to do more than 6 innings a night doesn't mean that such ridiculousness should be continued when he's not there. Welsh should not have been at the mike there

He mumbled and you had no idea what was going on until after it cleared the wall. The listener didn't know if it was a foul ball, an out or anything until he said it was gone. Any Reds fan knew it was an extra base hit off the bat and that's worth getting excited about. How 'bout a call like this:

"low line drive, deep left field, is it high enough? Yes! Gone! Reds win!"

I think the Reds have gotten to the point where they have too many announcers. No way Welsh should be doing any play by play. Just because Marty's a prima donna and refuses to do more than 6 innings a night doesn't mean that such ridiculousness should be continued when he's not there. Welsh should not have been at the mike there
    Yea, at least he got something out, Brantley would still be describing the play, on about word 4 by now I figure.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I was a section over in left field and I had no idea it got out until the fans went ballistic. It thudded but it sounded like it hit the wall.

Great two games to be at!!

"So Fla Red"

Thom Brennaman's call was a good one though. The fact that it probably really annoyed Cardinals fans was an extra bonus. I was stuck with the out of market radio call from mlb.com and was actually laughing since the call was so hideously jumbled.

Turn Off Ads?