Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trade Leake or Bailey?

Re: Trade Leake or Bailey?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    While that may be true, Homer's been up and down all year whereas most of Leake's so-so outings were earlier in the year. He's been pitching a lot better in the past two months than he was previously.

Leake's K/BB, HR and GB/FB rates are all better than Homer right now. Plus, being younger, cheaper and under control for a longer period of time, I think it would make more sense to hang on to Leake if either were to be traded. Of course, Leake would be worth more in a trade, but I'm assuming all things are equal for now.
    I'm saying that Bailey has been more consistent than Leake this season. Do you disagree?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Really disagree with the premise.

The Reds right now could put together packages of prospects, without Hamilton, that are equal or better to what brought back Halliday, Lee, Greinke, Sabathia, Holliday, Jimenez, and any other big name traded at the deadline in recent history. Plus, the price of impact players traded at the deadline will go down this year because acquiring teams won't get picks for them.

The Reds aren't the Cardinals of last year, needing to trade MLB atarters to fill in gaps. Their farm system is plenty healthy.
    To put it briefly I agree. I'm not just looking to trade either, but if forced to choose it really is a tough decision.

Bad idea. You shouldn't rob Peter to pay Paul. Especially since there isn't enough depth in the rotation to swing a trade of either of them (unless you get a starting pitcher in return, which, basically makes it a lateral move; pointless.) We need some offense, yes, but, look at prospects being dealt before anyone in the rotation. What we need usually comes rather cheap at the deadline. (A couple bats off the bench, essentially. Maybe a leadoff hitter.)
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

I would not trade either (unless a better SP comes back in the deal).

A strong rotation (1-5) is what's going to win the division for the Reds.
    This offense can't carry a weak starting pitcher in the #5 slot.. Just look at
    what Leake and Homer did in this past series.. Without them, no sweep.
    I really don't want to see Simon, LeCure or Hoover experimented with in the rotation at this point.. Now is not the time.

I predict that if one of them is traded, Walt might wait until near the end of the spring training, just to ensure that Chapman can start..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Considering how strong and solid the starting pitching has finally become, would you be willing to trade either Leake or Bailey for an impact bat or no? Obviously it depends on who that bat is, how much impact they'd have, how long they're under control, etc.

Just creating some discussion on it because the Reds most likely aren't going to deal Hamilton, and these 2 guys may be the best options to get something in return.

I personally would say (assuming you "can't" extend either) Homer, just because he's a lot closer to the dreaded free agency time. All things being equal I don't really have a preference between the two, they both have positives and they both have negatives that need work. But unless you are able to get a return of like a Jason Heyward what's the point in trading either?

It would be creative, I doubt Chapman would be ready for the rotation by opening day next year even if he trained the entire offseason. So you probably need both until July next year and if you can't get a young game changer whats the point in taking out the kitchen to build a stair case in the den?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Pitch Redmond a couple games before the deadline and see if you have a 5th starter before deciding anything

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Pitch Redmond a couple games before the deadline and see if you have a 5th starter before deciding anything
    You've got a fifth starter now: Arroyo.

Hokie - I meant if you have one AFTER trading someone

Homer, Stubbs, and a couple prospects not named Hamilton for Hamels....then, yes.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

VR - I was thinking along the lines of a Minnesota deal for Liriano and Span

Bailey, I'm gonna keep. A 1-2-3 punch of Cueto, Latos, and Bailey for the next four or five years looks very nice.

Leake, I'm going to hang on to unless I am absolutely blown away by a deal. Thing is, I don't believe there is a deal out there that would "blow me away."
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I wouldn't move any member of the current rotation other than Arroyo, and then only with a comparable starter--experienced--to be coming back. We've finally got the rotation: let them grind it out.

Turn Off Ads?