Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade Leake or Bailey?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Trade Leake or Bailey?

Considering how strong and solid the starting pitching has finally become, would you be willing to trade either Leake or Bailey for an impact bat or no? Obviously it depends on who that bat is, how much impact they'd have, how long they're under control, etc.

Just creating some discussion on it because the Reds most likely aren't going to deal Hamilton, and these 2 guys may be the best options to get something in return.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trade Leake or Bailey?

I vote for neither. The Reds are near the top of baseball in pitching and league average in hitting. I'm not willing to weaken a strength for what would most likely be a marginal upgrade.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

I agree, if it doesn't involve prospects or a Heisey/Stubbs/Cozart type, then forget it.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar
    If it has to be one, see ya Homer. His inconsistency is maddening.
    Witty signature.

Not this year, maybe in the off season, but unless they get back a starter neither will move this year

Kotsay, and little moves are what we will see.. Crack filling not restructures will be the modus

-The Insider-

At some point one is going to go, rather it be July or the off-season. I vote Bailey personally. It'll open up a spot for Chapman next year and then in 2014 Arroyo will be gone so Cingrani, Corcino, or Lotzkar will get a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    If it has to be one, see ya Homer. His inconsistency is maddening.
    In 2012 Leake has quality starts 56% of the time.

Homer 71%.

Look, this is a very tough choice if you ask me, but Homer seems to be constantly underrated. Giving the club quality starts 71 percent of the time is the opposite of inconsistent.

Homer's been underrated on here for years. I wouldn't trade either. This team is as good as it is because of the rotation, which frankly is about as good as I remember a Reds rotation ever being. To improve the offense, I think we look for some left handed OBP guys--one for CF being the obvious one to begin with.

Trading Leake? How many teams would kill to have a recent draft pick skip the minors and deliver MOR SP nearly every time he takes the mound? He should only get better as he hones his already more than adequate skills.

Sure trade a AA SP. Trade one of our minor league SSs. But Leake? That's an insult to the scouts and management that brought him to us. Scouts and management we should be thanking.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

I'd see what it would take to sign each of the 2 a couple years past their walk year. That might help make up my mind. The more info you have the better.

I would trade neither. Leake has been very good since May 11 with a sub 3 ERA. Bailey also has been good as was mentioned earlier hes had a quality start 71% of the time. Without these two and the other three guys this team isnt 11 games over right now.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Depends on the return. If one of them is needed for an upgrade to the starting rotation (Greinke) or a young offensive cornerstone (Upton), I'd have to consider it.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    In 2012 Leake has quality starts 56% of the time.

Homer 71%.

Look, this is a very tough choice if you ask me, but Homer seems to be constantly underrated. Giving the club quality starts 71 percent of the time is the opposite of inconsistent.
    While that may be true, Homer's been up and down all year whereas most of Leake's so-so outings were earlier in the year. He's been pitching a lot better in the past two months than he was previously.

Leake's K/BB, HR and GB/FB rates are all better than Homer right now. Plus, being younger, cheaper and under control for a longer period of time, I think it would make more sense to hang on to Leake if either were to be traded. Of course, Leake would be worth more in a trade, but I'm assuming all things are equal for now.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Considering how strong and solid the starting pitching has finally become......
    You know, strong and solid starting pitching is a good thing.

I'd consider keeping it.

It's what gets teams into the playoffs and winning the World Series.

Really disagree with the premise.

The Reds right now could put together packages of prospects, without Hamilton, that are equal or better to what brought back Halliday, Lee, Greinke, Sabathia, Holliday, Jimenez, and any other big name traded at the deadline in recent history. Plus, the price of impact players traded at the deadline will go down this year because acquiring teams won't get picks for them.

The Reds aren't the Cardinals of last year, needing to trade MLB atarters to fill in gaps. Their farm system is plenty healthy.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?