Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jocketty on trade targets

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Jocketty on trade targets

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty has a pretty extensive shopping list as the non-waiver July 31 trade deadline approaches.

“We’d like to upgrade leadoff, cleanup and the bench — and if we can — help our pitching a little bit,” he said.

But he knows it will be difficult to address all or any of those needs.

“I’m not sure of any of it is possible,” he said. “But that’s what we’re trying to do.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...ade-wish-list/

My question is: why does he think cleanup is a "position" of concern, and whom could he possibly be targeting for it?

It seems clear to me that LHH CF/leadoff is the true need.

Span or Revere would do nicely there.
    Last edited by malcontent; 07-15-2012 at 05:37 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jocketty on trade targets

b/c if you get a cleanup hitter bp bats 1.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    b/c if you get a cleanup hitter bp bats 1.
    But what position does the cleanup hitter play?

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    LF or CF is up for grabs, IMO.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    LF or CF is up for grabs, IMO.
    Hopefully CF. That's where the real upgrade is needed.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    Hopefully CF. That's where the real upgrade is needed.
    Might be hard to pry away a cleanup hitting CF from any team. There's only a couple of those.

I do not think the order of "needs" was a mistake. Leadoff hitter is bad bad need for this club.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Might be hard to pry away a cleanup hitting CF from any team. There's only a couple of those.
    Well, we may not be looking for a true cleanup batter as much as someone who can fill that role better for this team. I mean, how many second basemen bat cleanup?

Bakers Dozen

Lead off is the most important need

I want Denard Span personally

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Third base and he wears #21.

Quote Originally Posted by IamRV View Post
    Third base and he wears #21.
    In my opinion, that's a lot of pressure to put on a rookie. I'm really not a fan of Cozart leading off for that reason, too.

Even though we would have to give up a lot probably, the Minnesota Twins hold a lot of players that could help us this year such as Denard Span, Matt Capps, Francisco Liriano, and Josh Willingham. Like I said we would have to give up a huge package, not necessarily of great prospects, just a huge quantity. Span would be our new leadoff/CF, Capps will add to the bullpen in the late innings, Liriano can be the 6th starter, and Willingham can be the new LF/ CLeanup hitter. Move Ludwick to bench. The package should be say Drew Stubbs, Kyle Lotzkar, Didi Gregorious, plus others

Just an idea

Quote Originally Posted by vottofan4life View Post
    Even though we would have to give up a lot probably, the Minnesota Twins hold a lot of players that could help us this year such as Denard Span, Matt Capps, Francisco Liriano, and Josh Willingham. Like I said we would have to give up a huge package, not necessarily of great prospects, just a huge quantity. Span would be our new leadoff/CF, Capps will add to the bullpen in the late innings, Liriano can be the 6th starter, and Willingham can be the new LF/ CLeanup hitter. Move Ludwick to bench. The package should be say Drew Stubbs, Kyle Lotzkar, Didi Gregorious, plus others

Just an idea
    so what's the big deal about Span, he doesn't hit all that well, and he doesn't steal alot of bases and his OBP% isn't all that. I really don't see the infatuation with this player. I don't even really like Revere all that much. Capps is crap so I don't want to go there either. Willingham would look pretty good between Votto and Bruce (ugh Dusty and splitting up the lefties).

since we are in a "WIN NOW" mode why not get Juan Pierre, should be pretty cheap and is a solid professional player I know his OBP% is lower but he bunts and plays great defense also, even though he doesn't have the best arm. I'd rather have Bourn but I know that's a fantasy at this point...
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

A package for one or two of our needs could be made from this group of players without hurting this year and beyond.

JJ Hoover
    Todd Redmond
    Kyle Lotzkar
    Jordan Smith
    Logan Ondrusek
    Pedro Villarreal
    Henry Rodriguez
    Neftali Soto
    Dennis Phipps
    and lower level chaff

I feel like we should be able to trade Stubbs straight up for Span. And the Phillies should be throwing in a kicker in a Stubbs/Pierre deal. Their offensive numbers are a little better this year, but Stubbs is younger and a better fielder.

The problem with Stubbs is that the Reds have always tried to make him an OBP guy. He will never be that guy. If you stick him in the 7 hole and just ask him to go hit the ball he can be a 100 OPS+ guy.

Turn Off Ads?