Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Lost in the Billy excitement...Tucker Barnhart

Lost in the Billy excitement...Tucker Barnhart

Didn't even realize he was promoted to AA....

What he has done is nothing short of amazing. Recently named player of the month Plays one of the two premiums position positions ie catcher...

AVG AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS
    BAK CAL .278 59 198 26 55 12 1 4 22 81 29 45
    PNS SOU .278 6 18 1 5 2 1 0 3 9 1 1

I think the best thing is his age only 21 at AA as a catcher. The Reds I think are extremely high on him, maybe they know more than we do and I think this explains trading Yasmani Grandal last year...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Lost in the Billy excitement...Tucker Barnhart

I think that the ability to acquire Mat Latos is why they traded Grandal last year.

Barnhart really turned things around after a slow start though.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think that the ability to acquire Mat Latos is why they traded Grandal last year.

Barnhart really turned things around after a slow start though.
    What I meant Doug is that the Reds valued and projected Barnhart to be a MLB player and didn't hesitate trading Grandal because of what they have...

Looking back at that trade and it's really a winner for the Reds now.

Box would be in AAA and blocked this year....
    Grandal blocked in AAA...
    Yonder blocked in AAA....

The bats would love to have them but I would rather have Matt.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

While I agree that they traded Grandal because of what they had, what they had wasn't Barnhart, but was Mesoraco. Had they not had Barnhart, they still would have moved Grandal.

I think you can add him to players to see when you hit the gulf coast next month..

Barnhart last year was ranked as the best defensive catcher in all the minor leagues (not just the Reds organization). He definitely has value. With some proficiency with the bat, which he has shown, I'd say he projects along the lines of Ryan Hanigan--a good major-leaguer.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Barnhart last year was ranked as the best defensive catcher in all the minor leagues (not just the Reds organization). He definitely has value. With some proficiency with the bat, which he has shown, I'd say he projects along the lines of Ryan Hanigan--a good major-leaguer.
    Mace,

Didn't know that he was ranked that high...

You'd have to think that Barnhart will be the heir apparent to Hanigan. They're almost the same player.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    You'd have to think that Barnhart will be the heir apparent to Hanigan. They're almost the same player.
    Except Tucker is getting to the top much, much faster. On defensive prowess alone he is a very solid prospect, always one of my favorites.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

-The Insider-

Boxberger would have been up this year especially with the closer gap the Reds have.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Boxberger would have been up this year especially with the closer gap the Reds have.
    Maybe it was a blessing in disguise though.
    If we had Boxberger, maybe Walt doesn't pick up Simon and/or Hoover, two deals that have worked out well.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Is tucker still switch hitting (I seem remember him being a switch hitter)?

If Meserasco turns into everything we hope he can be, Tucker could be the ideal backup in a few years when hannigan's contract expires. Good reputation with the glove, has held his own at the plate every step up the ladder.

Not a bad problem to have.

If Yonder were still here, I'm fairly convinced he would have been the opening day LF. Dude worked out a ton and dropped a significant amount of weight over the offseason to help him out in LF.

Turn Off Ads?