Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lutz in 2012?

Lutz in 2012?

Is the AA call up a precursor to possibly bringing Lutz up for a LH power bat off the bench down the stretch? He's on the 40 man and if we don't land the role player we seek via trade could Donald be it? Pros / cons?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lutz in 2012?

You seem to take a very aggressive approach to moving guys through the system. The Reds don't tend to have that approach.

Its hard for me to see a scenario where Lutz is in Cincy with anything other than a ticket in September.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Is the AA call up a precursor to possibly bringing Lutz up for a LH power bat off the bench down the stretch? He's on the 40 man and if we don't land the role player we seek via trade could Donald be it? Pros / cons?
    You don't call up rookies to sit on the bench. That's what old ballplayers are for. You leave young guys down in the minors where they can play every day and improve themselves.

He's on the 40 man roster? I didn't know that. If so, I'd bring him up once his minor league season ends for a september look see.

He's definitely on the 40 man. He is one of only a couple LH bats on it. Thus my post. I don't think he's ready to be an everyday player. But the LH bench bat is a huge hole right now. Maybe HRod then if no other LH bat is acquired?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

He's a .260 hitter in the California League.

I'd wager $1,000 he will not be on the Red roster in September.

Anyone want to take it?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

Anyone want to take it?
    I do want to take your $1,000. But no, I don't want to take the bet.

Anyone want to take it?
    I'll take it. I bet you $1,000 he will be on the Reds' 40-man roster in September. This is going to be the easiest money I've ever made. Thanks, Scrap.

Heh.

Let's try the 25-man roster, camisa.

Heh.

Let's try the 25-man roster, camisa.
    But the rosters expand in September . . .

How about this, then?

Lutz will not play for the Cincinnati Reds professional team this season.

Nah, I think I'll stick with our original bet. I could use the money.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Yeah, absolutely, guys who are in A-ball in July get called up to the Bigs later that year all the time. (Nope.)

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Yeah, absolutely, guys who are in A-ball in July get called up to the Bigs later that year all the time. (Nope.)
    I would rather have Lutz than 9 righties in a row vs Trevor Bauer. And Detroit called up a guy vs us here in Cincy directly from A ball. Your sarcasm and disapproval in a discussion on the pros and cons of calling up a AA player is noted.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    I would rather have Lutz than 9 righties in a row vs Trevor Bauer. And Detroit called up a guy vs us here in Cincy directly from A ball. Your sarcasm and disapproval in a discussion on the pros and cons of calling up a AA player is noted.
    Because Detroit did it doesn't make it right. Very likely they did that kid no favors. Most kids rushed up like that struggle mightily and are set back in development. Ask Eric Davis. It happened to him. It probably set Jay Bruce back, ditto for Homer Bailey. Double ditto for Ryan Wagner - it may have cost him his career going straight to ML baseball from college. SO yes, rushing players to the majors from A ball is almost always a stupid move.

Turn Off Ads?