Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 Wins

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

50 Wins

This may be interesting only to me, but I scrounged up some 50th win stats:

Cincinnati got its 50th win on July 15, the earliest it's happened since 1999, when it also came July 15. It came in the 88th game of the season.

Three MLB teams got their 50th win before Cincinnati in 2012: Texas (June 30), Yankees (July 7), and Washington (July 13).

It was the eighth time in 35 years the 50th win has come by the Ides of July, with the earliest coming July 7 in 1990, 1992, and 1994 (oh, 1994--what you could have been).

The Reds reached 50 wins June 26 in just 71 games in 1970 (earliest I could find).

They have gotten their 50th win in September 10 times, most recently in 1981, although it was only the 85th game due to the midseason strike. The worst offense was in 1934, when it came September 16, in the 139th game. In recent years, 1982 and 2001 took the longest, with the 50th win coming August 27 (1982, 128th game) and August 22 (2001, 126th game).

Not 50-win related, but the Reds are on pace for 92 wins, which would be the most since 1999. They've reached 100 wins three times (1940, 1975, 1976--sound familiar?).

Here's to 50 more!
    Last edited by WildcatFan; 07-16-2012 at 11:17 AM.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 50 Wins

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Three MLB teams got their 50th win before Cincinnati in 2012: Texas (June 30), Yankees (July 7), and Washington (July 13).
    Even though they've stumbled a little recently, Texas is just an absurd team right now. By right now I mean several solid years. That division hasn't been a cakewalk this year, either. They need to win a World Series.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Reds have the 2nd best record in the NL. 2nd only to the Washington Nationals of all teams. Who would have thought that before the season?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Reds have the 2nd best record in the NL. 2nd only to the Washington Nationals of all teams. Who would have thought that before the season?
    And tied for the third best record? That's right--your Pittsburgh Pirates. What a weird season.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Great post WildcatFan. This edition of the Reds has had a '99 feel since the start of the season (sluggish start after an active winter, young players stepping up, steady climbing beyond .500). And unlike '99 the NL is not top heavy this season.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Great post WildcatFan. This edition of the Reds has had a '99 feel since the start of the season (sluggish start after an active winter, young players stepping up, steady climbing beyond .500). And unlike '99 the NL is not top heavy this season.
    Also unlike '99: the extra wild card spot.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Also unlike '99: the extra wild card spot.
    Well, they sort of had that in '99, by accident if not design. Let's just hope we don't see the modern version of Steve Parris vs. Al Leiter if it happens this time around.

During the game last night, ESPN flashed the Reds schedule over the next month or so and it is pretty favorable to the Reds. Something like the next 4 teams they play all have below .500 records.

This has been a really fun year so far.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Great post! I love reading all the fun facts.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Also we are now on pace to break the 2003 GABP Attendance record by 150,000 and growing each game we have over 30k fans.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Well, they sort of had that in '99, by accident if not design. Let's just hope we don't see the modern version of Steve Parris vs. Al Leiter if it happens this time around.
    Who would be the Steve Parris comp on this team? Bronson? I think he beats Parris with carftiness.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Who would be the Steve Parris comp on this team?
    I'll go with Sean Gallagher. Possibly the biggest difference between this team and the '99 Reds is the absence of a Steve Parris.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    During the game last night, ESPN flashed the Reds schedule over the next month or so and it is pretty favorable to the Reds. Something like the next 4 teams they play all have below .500 records.

Next 17 games are against below .500 teams, and 24 of the next 27.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'll go with Sean Gallagher. Possibly the biggest difference between this team and the '99 Reds is the absence of a Steve Parris.
    It's weird to root for a Reds squad where the pitching is this good, top to bottom.

Every member of the rotation has the ability to dominate a team for 9 innings on any given night. I can't remember the last time that's been true in my lifetime.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

I suppose that's good news. Now they just need to take care of business!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Turn Off Ads?