Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoover?

Hoover?

I noticed that Hoover has a 1.44 ground ball to fly ball ratio at AAA. Small sample, only 20.2 innings, but it looks to me like he is working on avoiding his fly ball tendencies.

Otherwise his stats are stellar with a 12.19 K rate and very few hits allowed.

I have no doubt he will get a September call up, but it looks like he could help the Reds sooner than that.

Has anyone seen him pitch and notice any change? Are they working with him on getting more grounders?

Guy certainly has ability, he seems to miss a lot of bats.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Hoover?

That is where GO/AO misses things. Hoover has a 39% groundball rate in AAA. His GO/AO suggests he gets more groundballs than flyballs, but that isn't close to being the case.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That is where GO/AO misses things. Hoover has a 39% groundball rate in AAA. His GO/AO suggests he gets more groundballs than flyballs, but that isn't close to being the case.
    The stat was G/F from Baseball America's stats page.

Surprising to me that the G/F stat translates a 39% grounder rate into a 1.44 ratio.

39% is Arroyo right now. Hardly a ground ball pitcher.

If you or someone else can explain the discrepancy, I'd like to understand it better.

Again, the stat was not GO/AO but G/F. I took it to be comparing all ground balls to all fly balls. But regardless, it does suggest Hoover has become (small sample) more of a fly ball pitcher which 39% does not.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-16-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The stat was G/F from Baseball America's stats page.

Surprising to me that the G/F stat translates a 39% grounder rate into a 1.44 ratio.

39% is Arroyo right now. Hardly a ground ball pitcher.

If you or someone else can explain the discrepancy, I'd like to understand it better.
    GO/AO only accounts for OUTS. GB% accounts for every ball put in play against him.

Seems like when he gets a grounder, it is turning into an out at a high rate, but when the ball isn't a grounder, it is finding the grass.

GO/AO only accounts for OUTS. GB% accounts for every ball put in play against him.

Seems like when he gets a grounder, it is turning into an out at a high rate, but when the ball isn't a grounder, it is finding the grass.
    The Baseball America stats page uses G/F. Not actually GO/AO. Just G/F.

I took G/F to include all batted balls. No?

I see your update now.

I don't know where they are getting their numbers from. Maybe they are solely using groundballs and fly balls and ignoring line drives, pop ups and bunts? I don't have the data to check over, but that can be the only thing going on and even then I can't imagine line drives, pop ups and bunt swaying the numbers that far.

I see your update now.

I don't know where they are getting their numbers from. Maybe they are solely using groundballs and fly balls and ignoring line drives, pop ups and bunts? I don't have the data to check over, but that can be the only thing going on and even then I can't imagine line drives, pop ups and bunt swaying the numbers that far.
    Thanks. Much appreciated.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I'm loving that Francisco-for-Hoover trade. Highway robbery. The Reds have their 3B of the future anyway with Frazier and they were able to flip Francisco for a quality relief pitcher. That's a win.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I'm not sue why Hoover is in AAA while Ondrusek continues to struggle (3 years now) with the big boys.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing Donnie Joseph taking Bray's spot. Soon.

Ondrusek has a career ERA of 3.40 and an ERA of 3.23 this season. I'm not sure you can really say he's continuing to struggle

Ondrusek might be the worst pitcher in the bullpen, but he's hardly struggling. I'd wait until his luck starts regressing to the mean before I'd make that argument.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Ondrusek might be the worst pitcher in the bullpen, but he's hardly struggling. I'd wait until his luck starts regressing to the mean before I'd make that argument.
    Ondrusek is going nowhere.

Bray, however, could be exchanged for Hoover. Whose name, of course, is atop this thread.

Bray, however, could be exchanged for Hoover. Whose name, of course, is atop this thread.
    For multiple reasons, the Reds are going to give Bray every last opportunity to turn things around. If things don't work out, the best the Reds could hope for is that they DFA Bray and get a mid-level prospect in return.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Ondrusek has a career ERA of 3.40 and an ERA of 3.23 this season. I'm not sure you can really say he's continuing to struggle
    Because ERA is just about one of the most worthless metrics in judging a relief pitcher. That's why.

Bray's outing was a complete debacle tonight. I don't think I've ever seen a player look so out of whack before. Hoover should be back yesterday IMO, and Joseph should be getting a hard look.

Turn Off Ads?