Thread: Votto expected to be out 3-4 weeks after knee surgery

Re: Votto Not Playing Tonight

Stubbs leading off. God make it stop.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    What? The winning?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Vs. a left hander.

Why?

If the Reds win tonight, I'd rest him again tomorrow. Love the idea of Frazier playing 1B over Cairo, btw.

Probably reading too much into it, but Frazier at first base makes me wonder if it's a way of phasing out Cairo. He's no longer needed at third. If they make a trade or two, they'll probably have to create room on the roster, and he's as likely a candidate as any.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Probably reading too much into it, but Frazier at first base makes me wonder if it's a way of phasing out Cairo. He's no longer needed at third. If they make a trade or two, they'll probably have to create room on the roster, and he's as likely a candidate as any.
    I think it's two separate issues.

With Rolen back, and Frazier's numbers so good, Reds have to find ways to get Todd into the lineup. He has versatility so for this season we'll probably see him play some first, some left field, mostly third base. Next season, maybe every day at third base.

Cairo, I think, is a different question. As you correctly said, if the Reds add players they will have to open up roster spots. Since Cairo has not had a good year, since his contract is up, since his defensive positions are covered, he's a candidate to be moved.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Votto is having minor knee surgery tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Even though you included the word "minor," me thinks that won't stop the sky from falling here on RZ.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Vs. a left hander.

Why?
    Because he has no business at the top of the order. Period. I don't care if they're playing an intrasquad game.

Because he has no business at the top of the order. Period. I don't care if they're playing an intrasquad game.
    I've been pretty hard on Stubbs recently, as I'm personally ready to hand it over to Heisey until/unless another option comes along.

That said, it's worth noting that Stubbs' OBP against LHP for his career is a very respectable .345.

At that clip, it certainly justifies his batting leadoff against lefties.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    There could be something to that. Frazier is versatile enough to handle 1B, which allows both he and Rolen to be in the lineup atthe same time when Votto is out.

If Ludwick returns next season, I could see the Reds working him out at 1B during Spring Training to add to the RH backup depth at 1B. Additionally, a 34-year-old power hitting OF could do worse than to add 1B to his resume.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Are you serious about this? And if so, where are you getting this from?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Not only did he play in the AS game but he had to fly from SD to Cin then go to KC for the all-star game and then come back to Cincy. This is not a JR situation.
    Not to mention entertaining family and friends, dozens upon dozens of interviews, galas and fetes, news meets, photo opps, etc. Players who go to the AS Game come back more tired than when they went. It's pretty draining and I'll bet he was on his feet for hours at a time before and after
    the game and most of the three days. I don't care if they give him a couple days to just completely rest his knee f that's what it takes t make sure he's completely healthy for the dog days - that's when teams make it or die.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Are you serious about this? And if so, where are you getting this from?
    Bob Hertzel, WV times tweeted it.

It was a mistake going to Kansas City.

Turn Off Ads?