Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto expected to be out 3-4 weeks after knee surgery

Re: Votto expected to be out 3-4 weeks after knee surgery

Reds will be fine. Votto will be fine. Every team has injuries. Dodgers just went all that time without Kemp, then Ethier. Marlins just lost Stanton.

Main thing is that this is not major surgery. It's about a month, arthroscopy.

It may cause the Reds to move more intensively to acquire a bat.

Hopefully the Reds will make wise decisions about replacing Joey and about any possible deal. Team obviously needs lefty hitters.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Had the Reds DL's Votto two weeks ago, the Reds would probably be eight games out of first place by now.
    I really wonder about this. Had he had the sugery sooner, some of the DL time would have been over the All Star break. That could have reduced the number of games missed.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Really? We're talking about a few weeks. I think this is rather quickly getting overblown.
    You mean we don't get to hang Doc Kremchek at high noon on Fountain Square?

And, if he's so inept and constantly misdiagnosing everybody, why are Votto and the Reds allowing him to do surgery on the Quarter Billion Dollar Man?
    sorry we're boring

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Kremchek should lose his job over this, and I'm being very serious. You don't make mistakes with a $250 million player.
    I agree. You know how many competent surgeons would kill to be the Reds medical director? Instead, we're stuck with Kremchek.

During one of his many media appearances, did anyone ever ask him about Edmonds' comments? The guy is a complete hack. If this were an isolated incident, I wouldn't think anything of it. But dating back to the Griffey days, I've noticed a pattern with Kremchek. He's beyond bad. It would take A LOT for a player like Edmonds to come out and blast a team's medical staff. (And yes, I hate Edmonds too.) Goes to show just how awful Kremchek really is.

Allowing our $250-million player to risk further injury by playing with a torn meniscus for nearly a month. Amazing. I'm sure the spin will be that it wasn't torn at first but got progressively worse. I call BS. Kremchek missed this one. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Really? We're talking about a few weeks. I think this is rather quickly getting overblown.
    Yes really. Guess you answered my question in your own unique way.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

I don't understand the blame game thing.

There's no indication Votto will miss more time because of the timing of surgery.

The Reds just won six consecutive games with Votto playing.

All teams have injuries. It seems Joey will be okay pretty soon, that's the main thing.

No need for a lot of what ifs. No need for blame. It happens, the Reds will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

There's no indication Votto will miss more time because of the timing of surgery.

All teams have injuries. It seems Joey will be okay pretty soon, that's the main thing.

No need for a lot of what ifs. No need for blame. It happens, the Reds will be ok.
    Votto clearly wasn't himself since the knee injury in late June. Not even close to the regular Joey Votto. He likely tore his meniscus on the slide to third. The team's medical director did nothing for nearly a month. How does the most-valuable player on the team hurt his knee, gets the knee checked out and the medical director not find a torn muscle near said knee?

Sorry, I'm in blame mode. We're lucky Votto didn't get hurt worse after playing injured the last 3 weeks. This will likely be very minor in the grand scheme. At the same time, Tim Kremchek needs to be held responsible when he makes mistakes. Votto should have had the surgery weeks ago. I don't think that's even up for debate at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

It's quite simple. Votto is gonna miss at least 3 weeks. Someone has to pay.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Reds say injury occurred on July 29th at SF.

Kremcheck saw Votto in L.A. according to Fay

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Reds say injury occurred on July 29th at SF.

Kremcheck saw Votto in L.A. according to Fay
    Can we start secretly sending Votto to a real doctor? I mean, Kremchek can still see guys like Kristopher Negron, but we need higher standards for Joey Votto.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Yes really. Guess you answered my question in your own unique way.
    Okay, a direct answer...no, this won't affect Joey's MVP chances. If he comes back and still performs at a Votto-like level...and then we win the division, his odds are still extremely good.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Votto clearly wasn't himself since the knee injury in late June. Not even close to the regular Joey Votto. He likely tore his meniscus on the slide to third. The team's medical director did nothing for nearly a month. How does the most-valuable player on the team hurt his knee, gets the knee checked out and the medical director not find a torn muscle near said knee?

Sorry, I'm in blame mode. We're lucky Votto didn't get hurt worse after playing injured the last 3 weeks. This will likely be very minor in the grand scheme. At the same time, Tim Kremchek needs to be held responsible when he makes mistakes. Votto should have had the surgery weeks ago. I don't think that's even up for debate at this point.
    What if the best diagnosis is "let's wait and see if it heals by itself?"

I don't know if it is but it seems plausible.

Unless we are doctors, we have no business second guessing the Reds medical team. Lots of logical explanations as to why they let Votto play, but are now electing surgery.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I'm just a regular guy, but when I tweaked my left knee playing hoops one day I went to the Dr. and found out I has a torn meniscus within a week.

So it takes 18 days to find out that the $250M man has one? Really?

Wow.

My guess is that the Reds medical staff did know the extent of the injury. But they gave Votto the option of trying to play through the pain. Votto gave it his best shot, but it was plainly obvious this wasn't the same Votto pre-6/29 and it wasn't going to get any better. So they huddled and said "let's get it over with and operate".

20-20 hindsight says they should have done this pre-AS break, but you can't change the past, you can only change the future. They gave it a shot and it didn't work. Let's move on. This is about as decent as a stretch as it can be to be Votto-less.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?