Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto expected to be out 3-4 weeks after knee surgery

Re: Votto expected to be out 3-4 weeks after knee surgery

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    Have the Reds announced who is getting called up yet?
    Looks like Redmond is on his way up...probably just for the day in case Cueto can't go.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Hopefully, what the Reds will do now, is come up with a game plan for winning over the next month without Votto.

IMO this means bringing up a lefty or switch hitter from AAA, probably Henry Rodriguez. Have Frazier play every day at first. Have Rodriguez spell Rolen occasionally at third to add another left handed bat to the lineup.

Since most days the Reds will have only one lefty, Bruce, it probably means hitting him cleanup. It also means focusing on the batting order with fresh eyes, as the Reds will need to build runs without Votto. I won't get into a batting order discussion here, they are all over the site, but a renewed focus is required.

It means trying, if possible, to expedite the quest for a lead off bat who hits righty pitching and potentially a lefty bench bat. I wouldn't massively overpay to rush the trades, but I would be actively looking. Maybe the lefty bench bat could be acquired sooner rather than later.

Finally, aside from the pitchers, I think Rolen and Phillips have to step up and lead the ballclub. They are two well established veteran players. They need to make sure the team plays with the same focus and enthusiasm and doesn't go into a funk over this.

Reds can get out of this situation ok, but they need to recognize the big loss (although for a short time) and need to organize to succeed in Votto's absence.

I've had 3 Scopes for meniscus tears. If its not in the joint you can try to play through it. I would be completely shocked if Joey is out 3-4 weeks, it won't be that long.

Fact: I had my most recent knee scope for torn meniscus on Friday June 22nd, 2012. I played full court basketball on Monday June 25th, 2012. Now I'm in fantastic shape and a borderline super hero, so Joey may need another day or two. Lol. I think Joey would probably be ready in a week but I bet they hold him out for two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    We would have lost 9 additional games during the last two weeks?

In the last 2 weeks we've played 10 games, winning 7 of them.

So, even if we had lost those seven games, we'd be six out. And we wouldn't have lost them all.
    Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    If your premise is correct (and I don't buy it) then we can expect the reds to be 10-15 games back if he is out 3-4 weeks.
    lol! I was being facetious. I don't really think the Reds would have been eight games out.

I do think that had Votto gone on the DL two weeks ago, we don't finish the West Coast swing at 6-5, and I certainly do not think that we sweep the Cardinals.

The key over the next couple weeks is to take advantage of the fact that most of the schedule is against sub-.500 teams.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    I thought it was part of the players contract that they cannot force a player to get an MRI.
    Regardless of contract, they can't force a player to do anything.

Can they strongly recommend it? Yes.
    Did they? Apparently not.

It seems like Doc likes to be buddies with all the players, instead of coming out assertively and saying "Joey, this might be something that requires surgery, I'd like an MRI right away as a precautionary measure".

Again, Doc's history seems to indicate that he's not very proactive.
    In a way, it's a conflict of interest.. Doc has no incentive not to let the player keep on playing until the injury gets bad enough to require surgery, which means more $$ for Doc.
    I'm not saying Doc does this deliberately.. but there's no incentive for him to jump in right away.

As others said, would've been nice to have this DL stint overlap the AS break.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Wow! Lots of knee jerk reactions from people without a shred of medical knowledge! Partial tears of the meniscus are most often treated with therapy not surgery and its not surprising Joey elected NOT to have surgery before trying to play with it just to see if he could. Plus it looks like the perfect spot, if there can be such, to elect for the surgery and get it over with, third, its a very minor procedure and he should back 3-4 weeks TOPS. I'd suspect sooner than that since football players make it back faster than that!

Any medical treatment is not just the medical staff but also the player - sorry but even in baseball the player still owns his body and has part in the decision process. With a minor issue like this I imagine they gave Joey the options available and he elected to try to play it out.

We'll see if Frazier is really ready to step into a full time job now for sure. They'll be counting on his bat big time. Bruce needs to step up. Rolen has to find some old Scott for a couple of weeks. In short everyone in the lineup needs to pickup it up a bit - and there is no reason to expect a huge dropoff if the three I mentioned above can come through with somewhat elevated games for the time Joey's out. Or someone unexpected can step up and get hot. Good teams play through adversity and survive, marginally good teams wither. Now we find out which variety the Reds are.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I've had 3 Scopes for meniscus tears. If its not in the joint you can try to play through it. I would be completely shocked if Joey is out 3-4 weeks, it won't be that long.

Fact: I had my most recent knee scope for torn meniscus on Friday June 22nd, 2012. I played full court basketball on Monday June 25th, 2012. Now I'm in fantastic shape and a borderline super hero, so Joey may need another day or two. Lol. I think Joey would probably be ready in a week but I bet they hold him out for two weeks.

But the minimum he can be out is 15 days so even if he heals as quickly as you he still can't play for 2+ weeks.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    But the minimum he can be out is 15 days so even if he heals as quickly as you he still can't play for 2+ weeks.
    Right. I'm saying if they wanted to be reckless with a $250M player they could have kept him off the DL and put him back in the lineup next week. He'll be DL'd retro to last night and I wouldn't be shocked if he was in the lineup on the 31st.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Wow! Lots of knee jerk reactions from people without a shred of medical knowledge! Partial tears of the meniscus are most often treated with therapy not surgery and its not surprising Joey elected NOT to have surgery before trying to play with it just to see if he could. Plus it looks like the perfect spot, if there can be such, to elect for the surgery and get it over with, third, its a very minor procedure and he should back 3-4 weeks TOPS. I'd suspect sooner than that since football players make it back faster than that!
    But shouldn't they have done an MRI right away so they knew what they were dealing with?

The biggest problem I think Joey will have will be a hesitation factor because he played through pain for so long. Depending on what movement caused that quick sharp instant of pain. You think you can play through it because it isnt that bad and it's really quick but you still hesitate because you know it's coming. Now that's been built up in his mind for 19 or so days and it's going to take some time to get over even after the pain is gone.

Another wide receiver meniscus tear, missed two games (Anquan Boldin):

“It flapped up on him, I think it was Tuesday night after the walk-through,” Harbaugh said. “He’s going to have to get that repaired. It’s a two-week deal. He’s seeing Dr. [James] Andrews this afternoon. He’ll be back in two weeks, so he’ll be back for the playoffs, whichever round we happen to play in. It’ll be a little tighter if we have to play in the first round.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    But shouldn't they have done an MRI right away so they knew what they were dealing with?
    Something I'd be curious to know, would an MRI show a ligament that was fraying but had not been diagnosed? I guess you'd still feel better if they could point to an MRI that had been done, but it's not like that made it worse.

Is there any chance that playing on the meniscus made it worse over the past two weeks? ie. if he had just rested through the ASB, he would not have needed surgery?

Also, another complicating factor in all of this was the fact the Reds were on the West Coast, likely without Dr. Kremcheck. My guess is, IF there was a failure, it was on the training staff and Joey's communication as to how everything felt. By the time he got back to Cincinnati, he may have "felt" fine, but in effect been further fraying the ligament.

Also, it's hard to put much onto the doctor's as they are not in the player's heads. They don't know how a player truly feels, and most likely the player's don't tell them.

"How's that knee, Joey"
    "Feeling much better now, thanks Doc."
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

My brother got this response at season ticket luncheon:

"I asked assist gm dick Williams why team did not ask for MRI when Votto didn't. Said collective bargaining agreement and players union take player privacy with health issues seriously, and that Votto never thought it was that serious until last few days."

Basically from that I gather that Joey would have had to thought he was injured seriously enough to consent to an MRI if it was thought to be necessary. Players union frowns upon teams asking first unless warranted.
    "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?!"

Said collective bargaining agreement and players union take player privacy with health issues seriously
    HIPPA laws are extremely tough and unforgiving

Quote Originally Posted by fisch11 View Post
    My brother got this response at season ticket luncheon:

"I asked assist gm dick Williams why team did not ask for MRI when Votto didn't. Said collective bargaining agreement and players union take player privacy with health issues seriously, and that Votto never thought it was that serious until last few days."

Basically from that I gather that Joey would have had to thought he was injured seriously enough to consent to an MRI if it was thought to be necessary. Players union frowns upon teams asking first unless warranted.
    You know that's exactly what I thought. If a player doesn't want to consent to an MRI or anything medically he doesn't have to per union agreement. Of course if an injury leads to a permanant disabilty he could risk losing his contract.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?