Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto expected to be out 3-4 weeks after knee surgery

Re: Votto expected to be out 3-4 weeks after knee surgery

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I'm just a regular guy, but when I tweaked my left knee playing hoops one day I went to the Dr. and found out I has a torn meniscus within a week.

So it takes 18 days to find out that the $250M man has one? Really?

Wow.
    We have no idea when they discovered he had one.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don't understand the blame game thing.

There's no indication Votto will miss more time because of the timing of surgery.

The Reds just won six consecutive games with Votto playing.

All teams have injuries. It seems Joey will be okay pretty soon, that's the main thing.

No need for a lot of what ifs. No need for blame. It happens, the Reds will be ok.
    Medical data is not perfect, people are quick to assume that perfection is demanded all the time in an imperfect world.

Demanding retribution for this is posse mentality, quick and without any thought other than emotional response to a crappy situation... pitchforks and torches, pitchforks and torches!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I'm just a regular guy, but when I tweaked my left knee playing hoops one day I went to the Dr. and found out I has a torn meniscus within a week.

So it takes 18 days to find out that the $250M man has one? Really?

Wow.
    It's amazing. I can't believe all the excuse-making for Kremchek on here. Yes, Votto's injury is minor. The point is that the team's medical director should have noticed a torn meniscus when examining the team's franchise player a few days after he injured the knee. It's astonishing.

Don't worry, it's all right to criticize doctors. They're not perfect and they're all different. Some are great, some are good, some are average and some are bad.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Votto clearly wasn't himself since the knee injury in late June. Not even close to the regular Joey Votto. He likely tore his meniscus on the slide to third. The team's medical director did nothing for nearly a month. How does the most-valuable player on the team hurt his knee, gets the knee checked out and the medical director not find a torn muscle near said knee?

Sorry, I'm in blame mode. We're lucky Votto didn't get hurt worse after playing injured the last 3 weeks. This will likely be very minor in the grand scheme. At the same time, Tim Kremchek needs to be held responsible when he makes mistakes. Votto should have had the surgery weeks ago. I don't think that's even up for debate at this point.
    Sure it is, Dr. Blitz. You know nearly none of the facts of this case.

Had he operated on a knee that didn't exactly quite need it, then he would have been a hack who just operates for money.

I get it, Doc Hollywood is an easy target, so let's just tee off on him.

Funny thing about this site- Kremchek is considered one of the finest orthpedists in the country when it comes to sports injuries, and teams (not only baseball teams) from all over the country send patient to him. What a freakin quack! No love here.

Just like the Dusty bashing on this site, this makes no sense to me at all. None.

People get hurt playing baseball. It happens. All the time. Things feel ok, you play some more, and play well. Then it starts to hurt some more, you sit out, get scanned and find an injury. Hey. Let's blame the doc! Kremchek is a hard guy to like, but he is a veritable expert at what he does. Not one single person here ever gives him credit for all the players he has fixed and rehabbed. No one.

Such is the Internet.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    We have no idea when they discovered he had one.
    We know when they discovered he had one. That happened today.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Sure it is, Dr. Blitz. You know nearly none of the facts of this case.

Had he operated on a knee that didn't exactly quite need it, then he would have been a hack who just operates for money.

I get it, Doc Hollywood is an easy target, so let's just tee off on him.

Funny thing about this site- Kremchek is considered one of the finest orthpedists in the country when it comes to sports injuries, and teams (not only baseball teams) from all over the country send patient to him. What a freakin quack! No love here.

Just like the Dusty bashing on this site, this makes no sense to me at all. None.

People get hurt playing baseball. It happens. All the time. Things feel ok, you play some more, and play well. Then it starts to hurt some more, you sit out, get scanned and find an injury. Hey. Let's blame the doc! Kremchek is a hard guy to like, but he is a veritable expert at what he does. Not one single person here ever gives him credit for all the players he has fixed and rehabbed. No one.

Such is the Internet.
    Riiiiight, I don't know "any of the facts." Good one.

Here's two important facts for you: Votto was injured June 29 and it took Kremchek until July 16 to learn of the tear. Unless you believe Votto suffered the tear recently, it's obvious Kremchek erred and the surgery should have been done weeks ago.

We know when they discovered he had one. That happened today.
    How do you know that it was discovered today?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    How do you know that it was discovered today?
    Do you think they would have let him play last night if they knew he had a torn meniscus?

Should the Reds call up Beau Mills?

Do you think they would have let him play last night if they knew he had a torn meniscus?
    Yeah. Guys play with them a lot. Sometimes you can play through the pain, sometimes you can't.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

A torn meniscus is not that serious.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Here's two important facts for you: Votto was injured June 29 and it took Kremchek until July 16 to learn of the tear. Unless you believe Votto suffered the tear recently, it's obvious Kremchek erred and the surgery should have been done weeks ago.
    You're assuming they learned of the tear today. If it's a partial tear, it can be one of those things you can try to play through. Or it could've worsened after the initial injury and resulted in a tear. So no, it's not OBVIOUS about anything.

I'm on record saying my knee jerk reaction is that this was an organizational fail. But after thought, I really don't know he facts (Fay had a strange quote by Joey about whether he had an MRI in CA) and I'm not a doctor. So who am I to judge.

I do wish if there was a choice, they had decided to err in favor of Joey missing time over the break rather than now...but again, who knows.

I don't know. I'm not a doctor. I don't even know what a meniscus is.

And even if it was discovered today, maybe he tore it while playing through the injury. There is much more that we don't know than we do at this point. Plenty of time to make accusations once we finally know the whole story.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

And you have no idea at all what kind of exams, imaging or conversations went on during that time, Mr. Internet Doc. You have no idea if things got worse or better or what during that time. Do you?

You know 2 facts, and you guessed and extrapolated all the rest. Good science there!

I don't "believe" anything about when Votto suffered the tear in his meniscus. That's my exact point. You can't go by "belief" and what you think you know, if you really don't know.

Why on earth do you think Kremchek "just learned of the tear" today? That's what I find comical, to be honest.
    sorry we're boring

Turn Off Ads?