Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto expected to be out 3-4 weeks after knee surgery

Re: Votto expected to be out 3-4 weeks after knee surgery

Would Beau Mills be a good call up?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Two thoughts:

1. I can't remember the last time someone was announced as being out "3-4 weeks" and came back in less than 6-8.

2. Given #1, season is probably done for the Reds.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Two thoughts:

1. I can't remember the last time someone was announced as being out "3-4 weeks" and came back in less than 6-8.

Matt Holiday last year IIRC
    School's out. What did you expect?

Crudsers.....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Two thoughts:

Hilarious.

Two thoughts:

Crap! and here I shelled out over $1,500 on season tickets - worthless!
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    You're assuming they learned of the tear today. If it's a partial tear, it can be one of those things you can try to play through. Or it could've worsened after the initial injury and resulted in a tear. So no, it's not OBVIOUS about anything.
    Hence the "unless you believe Votto suffered the tear recently" part of my post. I happen to believe he suffered the tear when he slid into third base against the Giants on June 29. I would say there's about a 95 percent chance (or better) that's the case.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Hilarious.
    If Joey Votto is out 4-6 weeks, I don't believe the Reds have the offense to play .500 baseball.

Just my opinion. This offense isn't good enough to cover his loss.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Crap! and here I shelled out over $1,500 on season tickets - worthless!
    BAH!
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    And you have no idea at all what kind of exams, imaging or conversations went on during that time, Mr. Internet Doc. You have no idea if things got worse or better or what during that time. Do you?

You know 2 facts, and you guessed and extrapolated all the rest. Good science there!

I don't "believe" anything about when Votto suffered the tear in his meniscus. That's my exact point. You can't go by "belief" and what you think you know, if you really don't know.

Why on earth do you think Kremchek "just learned of the tear" today? That's what I find comical, to be honest.
    Likewise, I find it comical that you think Votto wasn't playing with a torn meniscus the entire time. Like I said earlier in the thread (and many others have said) a torn meniscus is as minor as it gets when it comes to knee surgeries. However, the point is that it's very likely Kremchek failed in terms of finding the tear when examining Joey in LA (a few days after the injury).

Hey, we can agree to disagree. It's all good on my end. You think it's "comical" that I think Votto in fact suffered the tear when he slid into third in San Fran. I think your stance is comical. Maybe we should do a stand-up act together.

Two thoughts:

Geovany Soto, earlier this year with a...wait for it...meniscus tear.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...-votto-surgery

If there's a silver lining for the Reds, it comes at a soft spot in their schedule: Including Monday's game against Arizona, 24 of their next 27 games are against teams currently with losing records.

For those thinking 3-4 weeks is "more like 6-8 weeks" I disagree. I think "3-4 weeks" is a conservative estimate.

Running backs suffer torn meniscus and are back in 2 weeks. Maurice Clarett in 2002 comes to mind immediately. There's tons of NFL examples too. So, if football RBs come back on average in 2-3 weeks from the injury, I have no question a baseball first baseman can too.

If this was a football player he would be back in 2-3 weeks given the knowledge we have of the situation. Didn't one of the UC post guys play basketball 7 days post surgery a few years back?

My guess is that he is back in the first week of August.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Everyone is (falsely) assuming the only option is that it took 18 days to find out.

As Nate said, has anyone else considered that perhaps they knew about it shortly after the injury and decided to let it play out and see if he could play with the injury? It wouldn't be the first time an athlete has elected to play with a torn meniscus, to my knowledge.
    If this is the case then it's a failure on everyone (Votto included) for not taking advantage of the 4-day break during the All Star week and resting the knee.

So either way, there is some fault.

If the excuse is they just found out it was damaged, I'm sorry there is no excuse to be just finding that out with the money they have invested in him. If they already knew from the week it happened, he should have been resting last week.

Turn Off Ads?