Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto expected to be out 3-4 weeks after knee surgery

Re: Votto Not Playing Tonight

We really need Rolen over the next few weeks. We can't have him hitting .200 while Votto is out.
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Just cleared my Kroger out of bottled water and D batteries and spent an hour and a half picking the perfect get-well card.

I tear up every time he fouls a ball off his foot.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

My only problem is that he obviously wasn't the same since the injury. They didn't rest him much, then he goes to KC. Now four games after the break they announce this.

3-4 weeks in Reds speak means 5-6

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    It's probably the easiest schedule stretch of the year. That help?
    For sure. I also think putting numbers into a computer and saying it's only going to cost the Reds a win or win and a half is a little naive too, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    For sure. I also think putting numbers into a computer and saying it's only going to cost the Reds a win or win and a half is a little naive too, though.
    You'd be hard pressed to mathematically convince me otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If Todd Frazier keeps hitting -- and if Dusty wasn't going to play him much over Rolen -- this isn't a huge deal. 1 month of Votto is 1-2 wins over replacement and Todd Frazier is much better than replacement.
    Exactly my thoughts. Votto WAR - Frazier WAR over 3-4 weeks is probably closer to 1 rather than 2 wins.

The concern is who plays 3rd base? I hope HRod comes up and is respectable...that's my best case. That's what will make or break this stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    You'd be hard pressed to mathematically convince me otherwise.
    I'm not even going to attempt to lol. Just a difference of thinking.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Re: Votto expected to be out 3-4 weeks after knee surgery

“Joey Votto met with the medical staff this evening and has been diagnosed with a torn meniscus in his left knee. He is going to have arthroscopic surgery tomorrow and should miss 3-4 weeks. Joey is very comfortable with the decision and is eager to return to the lineup.”

Votto said, “It is in my best interest and in the best interest of the team to do it now so that I can be healthy during the last two months of the pennant race.”

I'm not even going to attempt to lol. Just a difference of thinking.
    It could cost the Reds 0 games. It could cost them 5 games. I'd say that is all within the realm of possibility.

But odds favor it costing the Reds 1-2 games, and I am more than happy to live with that.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Votto said, “It is in my best interest and in the best interest of the team to do it now so that I can be healthy during the last two months of the pennant race.”
    Sounds like something someone would say with an off-camera gun pointed at his head.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    It could cost the Reds 0 games. It could cost them 5 games. I'd say that is all within the realm of possibility.

But odds favor it costing the Reds 1-2 games, and I am more than happy to live with that.
    For sure. It's completely possible the Reds step up and play fine through this stretch.

I'm afraid the offense could turn into the offense we saw through the first 12 games of the season without Votto, though.

Could be the best thing for this organization that the Brass gets to put a Vottoless team on the field for awhile and get a feel for just how much more they need to do to get this thing right. The only thing I don't like about it is him waiting thru the AS game and Cards series before they shut him down, you know they knew come on.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Exactly my thoughts. Votto WAR - Frazier WAR over 3-4 weeks is probably closer to 1 rather than 2 wins.
    Thats assuming that Frazier continues at his pace.

To be honest, I'm relieved enough to say my biggest fear is that Votto will now not be able to set the MLB doubles record.

I'm really not fretting the injury. If it's only a few weeks, I believe Frazier playing everyday will mitigate the loss in the short term.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?