Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto has torn meniscus, to miss 3-4 weeks

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Re: Votto has "minor" knee surgery

nothing mentioned about it on the part of the pre-game show I saw -- said that Dusty was giving him a mental & physical day off because he had no days off at the AS break AND that his knee was a little sore ---

take that and use it as you may
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

2. Turn Off Ads?

Perfect timing, schedule-wise.

Crap....the next two weeks will be very important. At least it's against sub-.500 teams.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    this will be a huge test for us. 2 weeks is not for ever but it could hurt. we need people to step up.
    The Reds should be able to play winning baseball for the rest of July, even without Joey. Hopefully it coincides with the Pirates cooling off for awhile. They're due.

If true at least the schedule works out with the D'Backs, Brewers, Astros and Rockies over the 2-week time frame. Get it done and get him back right.

I think we are missing the bigger picture...HOW IN THE HECK did this happen? REally who dropped the ball on this one? Someone needs to be fired without question. With all the medical technology we have and for this to occur some heads need to roll. I would start with Dr. K, and work my way down..

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I think we are missing the bigger picture...HOW IN THE HECK did this happen? REally who dropped the ball on this one? Someone needs to be fired without question. With all the medical technology we have and for this to occur some heads need to roll. I would start with Dr. K, and work my way down..
    Haha, just because the computer crashes doesn't mean Apple/Dell should be dismantled as a company. Thanks for the example of overreaction.

Re: Votto has "minor" knee surgery; to miss at least 3 weeks

Thom just announced the surgery on TV. Out 3-4 weeks. Reds are 25-21 when Votto doesn't play at all. Hopefully they can keep that up, I know Cairo was a big part in that record. Now it's Frazier's turn to step up.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

They announced it is official -- meniscus surgery out 3 - 4 weeks

It sure seems like out medical staff misses a lot

The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    Haha, just because the computer crashes doesn't mean Apple/Dell should be dismantled as a company. Thanks for the example of overreaction.
    There is an issue here, either someone in our medical staff is an idiot or something. HOW with today's technology do you MISS THIS?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Righthander View Post
    They announced it is official -- meniscus surgery out 3 - 4 weeks

It sure seems like out medical staff misses a lot

I disagree with this statement.

The Reds have used the least number of players so far this season and only 5 starting pitchers. I think that has to do with the medical staff using preventative measures/care. Just because it's our best player going down, naturally Dr.K and co will be getting undeserved malice. The Reds were lucky to not have a major injury outside of BP for a few weeks (and Madsen of course).

Re: Votto has torn meniscus, to miss 3-4 weeks

My gut tells me to ask WTH is the medical staff doing?!?!

The other says WTH was Votto doing

HE should not have played the All Star Game,

As soon as they thought he may be hurt thy should have done MRI and the whole 9 yards he is too valuable not to.

Now I bet we may see Henry Rodriguez come up who do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    There is an issue here, either someone in our medical staff is an idiot or something. HOW with today's technology do you MISS THIS?
    It's not like having herpes, or not.

There's a whole range of potential meniscus injuries and if it was a complete tear, there's even a few different types of those. A lot of those injuries are treated through conservative measures that don't even involve surgery... it all depends on the severity and the athlete in question.

For what it's worth, I tore my meniscus, had surgery, and ran a 10k a week and a half later. Joey obviously needs a lot more out of his body, but he also has a whole team of medical professionals to help him with it. I know this sounds severe, but I'm sure the Reds were just waiting to see how it responded.

He probably didn't further damage it much playing on it the bit he has since occurring it, but might have aggravated the pain of it. It's torn cartilege. This is as good a time as the schedule could afford to have to deal with something like this. I'm sure Joey will respond well.

But just be patient, reasonable and stop trying to assign blame about injuries. They happen, it's a part of the game. Time for the rest of the team to step up.

Re: Votto has torn meniscus, to miss 3-4 weeks

Please send him to Pensacola on rehab 4 weeks from now.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin88 View Post
    It's not like having herpes, or not.

There's a whole range of potential meniscus injuries and if it was a complete tear, there's even a few different types of those. A lot of those injuries are treated through conservative measures that don't even involve surgery... it all depends on the severity and the athlete in question.

For what it's worth, I tore my meniscus, had surgery, and ran a 10k a week and a half later. Joey obviously needs a lot more out of his body, but he also has a whole team of medical professionals to help him with it. I know this sounds severe, but I'm sure the Reds were just waiting to see how it responded.

He probably didn't further damage it much playing on it the bit he has since occurring it, but might have aggravated the pain of it. It's torn cartilege. This is as good a time as the schedule could afford to have to deal with something like this. I'm sure Joey will respond well.

But just be patient, reasonable and stop trying to assign blame about injuries. They happen, it's a part of the game. Time for the rest of the team to step up.
    I agree. As far as knee injuries go, if you had to pick one it would be meniscus.

Turn Off Ads?