Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Votto has torn meniscus, to miss 3-4 weeks

Re: Votto has torn meniscus, to miss 3-4 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    If a guy said he was "fine" its just a little sore, you trust him. He was playing and producing. Not as he was the last 3 weeks, but you can make an argument that he was coming back down to his normal .310-.325 batting average. An MRI gives off a LOT of radiation. Maybe Joey refused. You can't put a gun to his head. A torn Meniscus does not limit range of motion. It's just painful. We all have tweeked our ankle and or knee and it has healed on its own. This did not.
    An MRI gives off zero radiation, it is all magnet based.
    Last edited by DocRed; 07-16-2012 at 11:32 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If a guy said he was "fine" its just a little sore, you trust him. He was playing and producing. Not as he was the last 3 weeks, but you can make an argument that he was coming back down to his normal .310-.325 batting average. An MRI gives off a LOT of radiation. Maybe Joey refused. You can't put a gun to his head. A torn Meniscus does not limit range of motion. It's just painful. We all have tweeked our ankle and or knee and it has healed on its own. This did not.

No you don't...you never trust a player when it comes to a possible injury.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    An MRI gives off zero radiation, it is all magnet based.
    But they do use "radiation" in the physicist’s sense of the word, which is any kind of radiant energy, including light. If medical people say "yes, MRIs use radiation", that’s the sense in which they’re using the term, and you must remember that not all radiation is dangerous.

You don't want to have ten MRIs a day for the rest of your life.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    No you don't...you never trust a player when it comes to a possible injury.
    you can't force someone to have an MRI. The GM stated he did not want one until Monday. I say he was offered and refused. He is not the Reds property...he is an employee. You can't force him. I'd say if he had to do it all over again he would of found out eariler. He said it was just hurting off and on, and did not hurt constantly (according to the GM) until the last couple of days.
    Last edited by George Foster; 07-17-2012 at 01:52 AM.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

you can't force someone to have an MRI. The GM stated he did not want one until Monday. I say he was offered and refused. He is not the Reds property...he is an employee. You can't force him. I'd say if he had to do it all over again he would of found out eariler. He said it was just hurting off and on, and did not hurt constantly (according to the GM) until the last couple of days.
    Exactly.

Sorry but I respectfully disagree. Companies can have you drug tested without your wanting to.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

You know it's coming. You know you want it.

It's Rolen and Cairo, together again!

Reds manager Dusty Baker could give Frazier more starts at first base, while mixing and matching with veteran Miguel Cairo.

"I don't know. It's a good possibility," Baker said of Frazier starting. "He'll play some first and some third. Miggy will play some first. Miggy is an outstanding first baseman. We just have to get Miggy swinging, because he saved us a couple of years ago when Joey was out for an extended period of time."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...k_cin&c_id=cin

Two walks in 71 PA tells me Miggy's already swinging the bat.

Sorry but I respectfully disagree. Companies can have you drug tested without your wanting to.
    Wrong.

- While as an employer you do not have to notify your employees when drug
    - testing will take place (in most states), it is, however, necessary to have the
    - employee's consent to administer a drug test.
    This can be done by requiring
    - each employee to read and sign a copy of the employee drug testing policy and
    - having an official meeting to discuss the policy in order to address any concerns
    - or to clear up any discrepancies that may exist.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Wrong.
    Don't take the test and find yourself unemployed or not hired. If Votto refused the MRI then he should have been DL'ed because at least then he doesn't make the injury worse. With that said I don't think this is on Votto...this is on Walt and the medical system almost to a degree of negligence.

No they cannot.

It's very simple here. Votto wanted to try to play through the injury and, as the best player on the team, the Reds were going to give him that chance. It turns out that he wasn't able to do that. This happens in every sport on numerous occasions. Stop trying to create a grand conspiracy where one doesn't exist.

If this stuff didn't seem to be the norm with our medical staff it would be different. Obviously you cannot force someone to do something they don't want, but with 250+mil invested in one person you can sure as heck be very convincing.

It's just irresponsible, especially if it were the kind of injury that could have been made worse by playing.

Just my opinion.

You can never be forced to be drug tested.

You agree to testing procedures when you are hired.
    Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon...

Quote Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
    No they cannot.

It's very simple here. Votto wanted to try to play through the injury and, as the best player on the team, the Reds were going to give him that chance. It turns out that he wasn't able to do that. This happens in every sport on numerous occasions. Stop trying to create a grand conspiracy where one doesn't exist.
    No conspiracy..just plain flat out old neglegence on the part of a number of people that should result in loss of job, repremand and such.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Mudshark View Post
    You can never be forced to be drug tested.

You agree to testing procedures when you are hired.
    Which I bet in all players contract it states that if the player is injuried the team has a right to do X, Y and Z and I am willing to bet having an MRI done is in that contract.

Which I bet in all players contract it states that if the player is injuried the team has a right to do X, Y and Z and I am willing to bet having an MRI done is in that contract.
    Then let's take him to court.

You're getting awfully, awfully upset about a lot of assumptions.

Turn Off Ads?