Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 45 of 45

Thread: Competitive Balance Draft

  1. #31
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Competitive Balance Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I imagine this is gonna cut down a lot on free agent compensation. The Reds received comp picks for both Cordero and Hernandez in this year's draft. The Reds don't get those comp picks if they have to offer either player around 12.4 million to get them. I think I am reading that correctly.
    Yeah I knew it was gonna get cut down significantly but that looks like only about the top 2-3 players an offseason will require compensation, wow. Well maybe more like 5-8 in a good year.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Member OesterPoster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West-central Ohio
    Posts
    2,052

    Re: Competitive Balance Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    I would think the Reds would want to hold on to the pick. The big value of the pick is the slot amount. It adds to the Reds draft pool number. It could possably allow the Reds to go over slot somewhere in the draft.
    Exactly. Asked Callis a similar question, and his response:

    Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA
    High. #mlbdraft dollars are coveted. Q: Any idea what potential value of a lottery pick would be in trade proposals this year?

  4. #33
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,623

    Re: Competitive Balance Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I imagine this is gonna cut down a lot on free agent compensation. The Reds received comp picks for both Cordero and Hernandez in this year's draft. The Reds don't get those comp picks if they have to offer either player around 12.4 million to get them. I think I am reading that correctly.
    Sounds like there will be significantly fewer comp picks this yr

  5. #34
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,623

    Re: Competitive Balance Draft

    I am thinking no to a trade of this pick for Juan Pierre. The rest of you with me on this?

  6. #35
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Competitive Balance Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I am thinking no to a trade of this pick for Juan Pierre. The rest of you with me on this?
    Absolutely. I wouldn't even deal it for Quentin. Upton, Hamels, Greinke, Felix, etc sure. Personally my cut off would be maybe Span, and that's a shade iffy. Stubbs and the pick for Span and cash to make up at least some reasonable amount of the difference between the players and I do it.

    No to any rentals unless it's the aforementioned Hamels or Greinke (depending on the rest of the package).
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  7. #36
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,964

    Re: Competitive Balance Draft

    I have a theoretical. Is it possible for a team with two or three first round-first round comp picks to "punt" one pick sort of - I mean reach for a guy who'd normally be a say third or fourth rounder and then get him to sign for a lot less than slot (still a big jump in $ for him)
    to free up a bunch of money to use on other picks. Wouldn't really be throwing that pick away if you figured you could then grab a couple college bound reaches that other teams were afraid to try and draft.

  8. #37
    "So Fla Red"
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    South Florida - The Real Humidor
    Posts
    5,067

    Re: Competitive Balance Draft

    Great news for the Reds. Nice.

    Still loving the extras for Ramon and CoCo from this year.

    I'm really surprised the higher revenue/bigger markets agreed to this, but great news for the Reds to continue reloading.

  9. #38
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,964

    Re: Competitive Balance Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Great news for the Reds. Nice.

    Still loving the extras for Ramon and CoCo from this year.

    I'm really surprised the higher revenue/bigger markets agreed to this, but great news for the Reds to continue reloading.
    Especially love the Cards losing out completely!

  10. #39
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,964

    Re: Competitive Balance Draft

    As for a trade I think it gives Walt a tremendously valuable weapon he didn't have before. Suddenly he has a much, much better arsenal to trade with. Now its not just prospects but a high pick and the dollars that go with it. Not a lot of teams can match that. Not saying he has to use it but it's nice to have it!

  11. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    6,276

    Re: Competitive Balance Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Absolutely. I wouldn't even deal it for Quentin. Upton, Hamels, Greinke, Felix, etc sure. Personally my cut off would be maybe Span, and that's a shade iffy. Stubbs and the pick for Span and cash to make up at least some reasonable amount of the difference between the players and I do it.

    No to any rentals unless it's the aforementioned Hamels or Greinke (depending on the rest of the package).
    Heisey and the pick maybe. I want Stubbs around to battle for time with Span. I'm OK with Drew against lefties.

  12. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    6,276

    Re: Competitive Balance Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Absolutely. I wouldn't even deal it for Quentin. Upton, Hamels, Greinke, Felix, etc sure. Personally my cut off would be maybe Span, and that's a shade iffy. Stubbs and the pick for Span and cash to make up at least some reasonable amount of the difference between the players and I do it.

    No to any rentals unless it's the aforementioned Hamels or Greinke (depending on the rest of the package).
    Heisey and the pick maybe. I want Stubbs around to battle for time with Span. I'm OK with Drew against lefties. In Heisey's case, I think a change of scenery for Chris would do wonders for me.

  13. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,741

    Re: Competitive Balance Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I have a theoretical. Is it possible for a team with two or three first round-first round comp picks to "punt" one pick sort of - I mean reach for a guy who'd normally be a say third or fourth rounder and then get him to sign for a lot less than slot (still a big jump in $ for him)
    to free up a bunch of money to use on other picks. Wouldn't really be throwing that pick away if you figured you could then grab a couple college bound reaches that other teams were afraid to try and draft.
    Absolutely. Blue jays punted something like picks 6-10 this year.

    Astros had a pre-arranged deal for their 1st pick and saved enough $$$ to sign a late first who fell.

  14. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,845

    Re: Competitive Balance Draft

    Since it's not clear to me, how does this 1st round supplemental pick the Reds have factor into the draft budget? Is there a max cap for this pick?

  15. #44
    Moderator Plus Plus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,518

    Re: Competitive Balance Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Since it's not clear to me, how does this 1st round supplemental pick the Reds have factor into the draft budget? Is there a max cap for this pick?
    My understanding is that every pick is slotted at a certain amount of money (within the top 10 rounds) and that the money is then added together to form the draft budget for a team. So, if a team somehow had 5 comp round picks, they would have extra money to play with as a result rather than being effectively penalized compared to a team with only 10 picks rather than 15.

    ...if that makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

  16. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,845

    Re: Competitive Balance Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    My understanding is that every pick is slotted at a certain amount of money (within the top 10 rounds) and that the money is then added together to form the draft budget for a team. So, if a team somehow had 5 comp round picks, they would have extra money to play with as a result rather than being effectively penalized compared to a team with only 10 picks rather than 15.

    ...if that makes sense.
    Thanks, it definitely does!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25