3 - Col.
    4 - A's
    5 - Mil.
    6 - Det.
    Sounds like good news for Reds fans

Re: Competitive Balance Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Sounds like good news for Reds fans
    Absolutely, we'll know sometime after the break who gets what at the end of the 1st.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Here we go.

1 - K.C.
    2 - Pitt.
    3 - D-Backs
    4 - O's
    #5 Reds (Or pick # 36)
    6 - Marlins
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Here we go.

1 - K.C.
    2 - Pitt.
    3 - D-Backs
    4 - O's
    #5 Reds (Or pick # 36)
    6 - Marlins
    Fine. I'll take it

How do we know which pick it'll be? Might there be FA comp picks added before our pick?

And the dreaded Cardinals get shut out. Nice.

How do we know which pick it'll be? Might there be FA comp picks added before our pick?
    It was listed/billed on the show as the picks #32-37 and #70-75. Which would make ours pick #36. I'm guessing no on your 2nd question.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    And the dreaded Cardinals get shut out. Nice.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    It was listed/billed on the show as the picks #32-37 and #70-75. Which would make ours pick #36. I'm guessing no on your 2nd question.
    I was wondering about this line from the first post in this thread:

Those half-dozen picks will be made at the conclusion of the first round, following the compensation selections

I was wondering about this line from the first post in this thread:
    Could be then.

Something to add here as far as trading the picks.

Only a team that wins a pick in the lottery can trade it, meaning that selection can be traded just once. It can't be sold for cash, and it may only be dealt during the season. Trading can commence the day after the lottery is held and is allowed until the end of that regular season.

--Woody Hayes

Teams most likely to deal the picks?? I gotta think Detroit and Pittsburgh will be itching to, both for competitive reasons. But also because Pitt will also have the #9 pick in the 1st as well. Cincy and Cleveland would be possibilities as well.

--Woody Hayes

I would think the Reds would want to hold on to the pick. The big value of the pick is the slot amount. It adds to the Reds draft pool number. It could possably allow the Reds to go over slot somewhere in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    I would think the Reds would want to hold on to the pick. The big value of the pick is the slot amount. It adds to the Reds draft pool number. It could possably allow the Reds to go over slot somewhere in the draft.
    I do too, which I why I kind of put them behind Detroit and Pitt. But they are still in a situation where this would be a great year for making a big move at the deadline and teams would be drooling for that pick.

--Woody Hayes

Major league free agent compensation will be completely revised in 2013, with a team having to offer its former players who became free agents the average of the top 125 contracts -- currently about $12.4 million -- to receive draft-pick compensation if a player signs with a new team. It eliminates the statistical formula that had been in place since the 1981 strike settlement.
    I imagine this is gonna cut down a lot on free agent compensation. The Reds received comp picks for both Cordero and Hernandez in this year's draft. The Reds don't get those comp picks if they have to offer either player around 12.4 million to get them. I think I am reading that correctly.

Turn Off Ads?