Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: must see tv: TLC orders Pete Rose reality series

Quote Originally Posted by redsfaninbsg View Post
    It's pretty pathetic to me that baseball forgives steroid users, alcoholics, cocaine addicts, wife beaters, etc but won't forgive a compulsive gambler.
    The first 50 years of he game was fraught with gambling and because of that the game almost drifted into the realm of the WWF, no fun.

Busting on the compulsive gambler gave you the joy you live with every summer.

Sure it comes with a price, but as a fan we need to love the game first and the players second, for the former is not near as fallible as the later, as it is not made of flesh.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: must see tv: TLC orders Pete Rose reality series

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The first 50 years of he game was fraught with gambling and because of that the game almost drifted into the realm of the WWF, no fun.
    I don't know... it was a different time in our country then as well, in a lot of ways. The perception is different. The last 20 years of the game have been fraught with hallowed records falling to guys who broke federal laws in order to gain a competitive edge.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    One of the best Reds players of all time, and you don't watch? I'm betting you and the rest of the Anti-rose gang will take a peek. Hatred and anger require interest, which many of you have already made abundantly clear on this board.
    There is no hatred and anger from anyone on this board in regards to the recent Rose fiasco. I can only speak for myself but I see this recent foolishness from Pete pretty embarrasing and oh so typical of the less than quality individual we have all known him to be.

Many people especially myself care about the BRM and its legacy. All this show will do is highlight and expose to a new generation of people who know little about Rose and the BRM just what a disfunctional man he and his family are . It is no different than what happened to Ozzie Osbourne. Instead of resting on his laurels as the lead singer of Black Sabbath, people now equate him as a bumbling brain dead, rock singer with horribly behaved, foul mouthed kids. The same will go for Rose, instead of being remembered as one of the true greats of the game and the leader of the BRM, he instead will be exposed as nothing more than a money grubbing schyster who badly lacks any type of morals or ethics.

When I first heard of this show I had to laugh because I thought watching him and his disfunctional life would be pretty entertaining. However on second thought it kinda angers me because it will bring nothing but more shame and embarrassment to his already sullied name and sadly a bit of a blemish to the BRM.

The sad thing is with Pete we all know he is doing this show for one thing and one thing only and that is the MONEY. Always follow the money when it comes to Pete. I just hope the money he gets from this show was worth it.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    To be fair, I have never called him "Pete the Cheat" and have never heard of it until this afternoon in this very thread. I was merely pointing out that yes, Pete did cheat.
    yeah sorry I wasn't trying to single you out or anything...your post just fell in the right spot it seems. all i meant was it's very common for people to point to the many morality issues that Pete apparently has/had and that casting stones thing is always a pet peeve of mine. I know/knew more than a few people like Pete in my life and their lives were a trainwreck as well but only those closest to them knew about it. I'm not feeling sorry for him 'cause I know that like most of us he would've taken the fame and "fortune" over obscurity but still at the end of the day he's just a dude.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I don't know... it was a different time in our country then as well, in a lot of ways. The perception is different. The last 20 years of the game have been fraught with hallowed records falling to guys who broke federal laws in order to gain a competitive edge.
    Yet more folks and money poured into the game, during the other era it drifted away

Yet more folks and money poured into the game, during the other era it drifted away
    We have more to devote our cares to in this generation, and less time in which to do it.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

We have more to devote our cares to in this generation, and less time in which to do it.
    What I mean by that is that there is so much more going on in our lives today that we don't spend as much of our time being outraged about the negative before we move on to something else.

What I mean by that is that there is so much more going on in our lives today that we don't spend as much of our time being outraged about the negative before we move on to something else.
    Sorry, but that doesn't excuse anything

Sorry, but that doesn't excuse anything
    Actually, it excuses a lot. Unfortunately.

Actually, it excuses a lot. Unfortunately.
    Yes, bubble living is the best

Turn Off Ads?