Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't believe the Reds' lineup card

I can't believe the Reds' lineup card

How in the world can the worst 2 OBP guys be batting 1st and 2nd? How can Frazier be batting 6th? How can Rolen be batting at all?

With Votto out runs are gonna be scarce...Baker has GOT to do better than this or the Pirates and Cards will pass them before August.

I see that some of you are joining the Luddy bandwagon. It's yet to be seen if Baker has.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Re: I can't believe the Reds' lineup card

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    How in the world can the worst 2 OBP guys be batting 1st and 2nd? How can Frazier be batting 6th? How can Rolen be batting at all?

With Votto out runs are gonna be scarce...Baker has GOT to do better than this or the Pirates and Cards will pass them before August.

I see that some of you are joining the Luddy bandwagon. It's yet to be seen if Baker has.
    I don't know about the bandwagon - but he has certainly improved over his start to the season and for that I'm thankful

Dusty's lineups? I'll just continue to cringe & complain because for some reason he has the confidence of the FO
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I understand being upset by the top two in the order, but who do you propose, that is on the roster, to replace Rolen at this point? Cairo? Valdez? No thank you, I'll take Rolen and Frazier on the corners until Joey comes back.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

I don't like our lineup, but I don't see an easy solution. I've been an advocate of keeping Hannigan in the 8 hole for many reasons, but everything is out the window with Votto out. Every option should be on the table. Maybe something like...

BP
    Hannigan
    Bruce
    Ludwick
    Frazier
    Heisey/Stubbs time share
    Cozart
    Rolen

See what happens with that? The only problem is I like the Hanigan/Mes split right now and I'm not sure about Mes hitting 2nd. I know I don't want to move the whole thing around every time we change catchers.

Without Votto it's really splitting hairs imo. Sure you'd like to have some high OBP guys at the top, but to me that's mainly just for Votto. If you take Cozart and Stubbs out of the top two you're still hitting them elsewhere. If you ignore names and look at our stats with the guys we have available now, you see a lot of low averages and a lot of low OBPs. With what we have to work with right now I think you can just throw a card together and hope that these guys string a few hits together, and hope that your pitching is on that night.

And Rolen kind of has to play right now, he also made a great play on defense that helped Cueto on a night where he was in a lot of tough situations.

To complain about a lineup after we win, no, shut out a team with seems a bit silly. Any proposed lineup especially with the players we have now is purely speculative.

Our lineup card has given us the 2nd best record in the National Leage. I'm gonna have to go with Skipper on this.

And Rolen is batting 6 for 14 since the break.

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    I don't like our lineup, but I don't see an easy solution. I've been an advocate of keeping Hannigan in the 8 hole for many reasons, but everything is out the window with Votto out. Every option should be on the table. Maybe something like...

BP
    Hannigan
    Bruce
    Ludwick
    Frazier
    Heisey/Stubbs time share
    Cozart
    Rolen

See what happens with that? The only problem is I like the Hanigan/Mes split right now and I'm not sure about Mes hitting 2nd. I know I don't want to move the whole thing around every time we change catchers.
    If they would actually platoon Heisey/Stubbs and bat them second we could really take off offensively. Stubbs really does pretty decent against LHP and Heisey likewise vs RHP. The two hole would still be a good spot for that as Stubbs' best numbers come there and he's almost impossible to double up.

OTOH, Phillips has hit into a boatload of DP's so bat him in the leadoff spot and take advantage of his decent OBP, ability to knock in runs (after the sac bunt by the pitcher) and remove almost all opportunities to ground into a DP.

I'm a big advocate of batting Frazier at cleanup due to his BA wRISP but Ludwick would do.

Rolen clearly belongs in the lineup with Votto out. He is hitting well now (OPSing .958 since the AS break). I know very small sample size, but why not see if he can get his mojo back. Frazier can play 1B until Votto is back.

For what it's worth, I decided to throw out some numbers. These are in the first inning last year, not necessarily by position in the lineup, just first inning.

Bruce .319 BA 1.044 OPS
    BP .319 BA .861 OPS
    Stubbs.211 BA .579 OPS

Point is, the only man in the top three spots in the lineup (guaranteeing an AB in the 1st) this year on this list is Stubbs. I don't get it? I in no way claim to be a more intelligent baseball mind than ANYONE in the Reds Organization, but why haven't we tried something to become more productive offensively. We've won 7 of 9, and I feel great about the season and near future, just a little boggled by lineup decisions or lack thereof.

Go Reds!!
    "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by IamRV View Post
    If they would actually platoon Heisey/Stubbs and bat them second we could really take off offensively. Stubbs really does pretty decent against LHP and Heisey likewise vs RHP. The two hole would still be a good spot for that as Stubbs' best numbers come there and he's almost impossible to double up.

OTOH, Phillips has hit into a boatload of DP's so bat him in the leadoff spot and take advantage of his decent OBP, ability to knock in runs (after the sac bunt by the pitcher) and remove almost all opportunities to ground into a DP.

I'm a big advocate of batting Frazier at cleanup due to his BA wRISP but Ludwick would do.
    BP's OBP is horrid.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

OK Magdal, I am ready for lineup. If you were Manager-For-A-Day, who would you start tonight?
    What if this is as good as it gets?

BP's OBP is horrid.
    .331 is horrid?

I agree it's not ideal but he's shown in the past he can adjust his game when given a different role. I would expect his OBP to go up 5-10% if moved up in the order.

BTW - both guys currently hitting at the top of the order are at .290 OBP.

That's a lot closer to horrid I would submit.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I expect that the Cardinals will pass them at some point.

Yesterday, Baker started 9 RHH against a RHP.

The Reds just dont have alot of ability on offense at all and no matter what lineup they use it will never consistently score runs. Heck I'd take for the pirates offense in a heartbeat

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    OK Magdal, I am ready for lineup. If you were Manager-For-A-Day, who would you start tonight?
    I would bust that blister and put some crazy glue on JC's finger!

Turn Off Ads?