Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumpster Diving for 1B Help

Dumpster Diving for 1B Help

Possible 1B Help—AL Division
    Eric Chavez, Yankees
    Plus: Can play both IF corners. Hitting well this season. Left-hander, with plus obp and power.
    Negative: Back makes him iffy to count on over the course of many starts in a row.
    Cost: C, RP

Russell Branyan, Yankees
    Plus: LH slugger has a history of getting hot and carrying a team for a few weeks at the major league level. Major power.
    Negative: He’s struck out about 5 million times and has a balky back.
    Cost: Flotsam

Steve Pearce, Orioles
    Plus: The former Pirate farmhand has power and a batting eye. He’s got a history of solid minor league play and doesn’t K too much. Very good obp as well. Career .294/ /371/ .523 minor league numbers. Pinch hitting and playing 1B for Baltimore right now, putting up league average numbers. RH.
    Negative: Problem is, those are minor league numbers. He’s untested.

Mark Reynolds, Orioles
    Plus: RH can play both corner IF spots. Good patience. Ideal Redszone lightning rod. Great power.
    Negative: With great power comes great big numbers of Ks. He’s on the wrong side of a platoon as well. Not to mention the $7.5 million price tag.
    Cost: Young pitching of all kinds.

Chris Davis, Orioles
    Plus: LH can play both corner IF spots. Still relatively young, at 26. Good power
    Negative: Don’t count on him hitting more than .250 or obp’ing more than .310.
    Cost: Young pitching.

Lars Anderson, Red Sox
    Plus: Young, at 24, with a prospect’s pedigree. LH displays a Sean Casey-like bat, with little power, but good obp. Lots of doubles. Could also play LF in a pinch.
    Negative: Lack of BA in minors spells doom for many ‘tweeners. Because of prospect status, may be cost-prohibitive.
    Cost: Relief pitching, young SP.

Adam Lind, Blue Jays
    Plus: Veteran with power, history of starting. Can play LF as well. Very good HR power.
    Negative: three-year history of below average production at an offensive position. Hasn’t shown ability to hit for average at all.

Dan Johnson, White Sox
    Plus: Has a minor league history of flat-out murdering the ball. When given consistent PT, he’s produced above league average production.
    Negative: Lack of BA. Age.

Brad Eldred, Tigers
    Plus: Yeah, he’s 31, but he’s been mashing the minors for a decade now. Career OPS close to .900.
    Negative: He’s 31.

Matt LaPorta, Indians
    Plus: Has a history as a starting 1B. Still only 27. Decent league average stop gap.
    Negative: Hasn’t been good in the majors since…well, since his last minor league stint four years ago.
    Cost” Flotsam

Clint Robinson, Royals
    Plus: His minor league career has proven he can hit. A ton. A metric ton, in fact. Tons of patience. Vey good power. Good eye, hitting tool.
    Negative: Still in the minors. Unproven.
    Cost: Starting pitching.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dumpster Diving for 1B Help

I prefer Todd Frazier over all of those options.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Branyon's 2012 AAA line: .309 /.438/.655/1.093

His DNA might fit in GAB.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I prefer Todd Frazier over all of those options.
    Me too. Unless Frazier turns really bad, really fast I don't expect the Reds will have to dumpster dive at all.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

In 2010 & 2011, Miguel Cairo put up a .275/.340/.410 line over 500 PA, good for ~3 wins. At 1B the win total would be less, but I'll take Cairo & Frazier over the list above.

For those who would say that Cairo has stunk this year, I'd draw your attention to his crazy low LD% and BABIP. Yes, he's been bad. But the sample is so small there's no reason to believe it's a real change in his ability to hit -- just a slump.

Dionner Navarro is interesting. He's been horrible in the majors the last few years, but he's also had very low BABIP. It's sort of a Paul Janish issue. Does the guy just hit for so little power and have so little speed that his true talent BABIP is significantly lower than average?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I was emailing with chili the other day and he suggested Lyle Overbay. I like that idea. He shouldn't cost much in terms of trade and he'd be a good LH PH once Votto returns.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

The little devil on my shoulder wants Mark Reynolds so the Brennamans' heads will explode.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Mark Kotsay. He would be a 1b, OF, as well as lefty bat off the bench. He could spell Frazier at times and would add much needed depth when Votto comes back.

The risk of not getting some more depth is that Rolen's back may give out again.

If that happens Cairo starts every game at 3b, and he will tend to wear down.
    I guess Valdez can fill in there too.

It would really be nice to find a LH OF/1b, that the Reds could keep even after Votto comes back. (Although I'm not sure who you bump off the roster to keep him when Votto comes off the DL)
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Mark Kotsay. He would be a 1b, OF, as well as lefty bat off the bench. He could spell Frazier at times and would add much needed depth when Votto comes back.
    I could get on board with this.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I didn't realize that Branyan was in AAA; I thought I'd read in the offseason that he was retiring. He's one of several lefthanded options that could help the team, although the ones that can other positions as well are the best fits (I'm assuming Branyan can't play the outfield any longer--not sure he really could when he did.)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    In 2010 & 2011, Miguel Cairo put up a .275/.340/.410 line over 500 PA, good for ~3 wins. At 1B the win total would be less, but I'll take Cairo & Frazier over the list above.

For those who would say that Cairo has stunk this year, I'd draw your attention to his crazy low LD% and BABIP. Yes, he's been bad. But the sample is so small there's no reason to believe it's a real change in his ability to hit -- just a slump.

Dionner Navarro is interesting. He's been horrible in the majors the last few years, but he's also had very low BABIP. It's sort of a Paul Janish issue. Does the guy just hit for so little power and have so little speed that his true talent BABIP is significantly lower than average?
    Seems he pops out to the IF every PA. That explains his low ld%.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Seems he pops out to the IF every PA. That explains his low ld%.
    Yeah, I don't doubt he's legitimately scuffled so far. But the question is what he's going to do moving forward.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

If the cost of Adam Lind is truly "flotsam," the Reds should do the deal without thinking twice. He's got high upside.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Maybe we should just bring up that Flotsam guy. He seems to be really in demand and we should showcase him.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Turn Off Ads?