Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 7/19

Birthdays: 7/19

Reds:

Gene Locklear (63) -A Lumbee Indian out of North Carolina, Gene came through the Reds system along with Ken Griffey. He later became a really good commercial artist; you can see his stuff at www.genelocklear.com.

Mark Koenig -Shortstop on the '27 Yankees; the last living member of that team (Bill Werber, who was cut in training camp, outlived him). A Red in 1935.

Bob Meusel -Like Koenig, a member of the '27 Yankees; and like Koenig a Red later on (in 1930). Meusel hit for the cycle three times in his career, tying a record.

Others:

Rick Ankiel (33) -Well, at least it's been interesting; Ankiel has had a Mr. Toad's Wild Ride of a career. As a pitcher, he'll be remembered for the first game of the 2000 NLDS, where in one inning he walked four and served up five wild pitches. As a hitter, he and Barry Bonds are the only players to homer into McCovey Cove at PNC Park. Rick and Babe Ruth are the only players to do a number of odd pitcher-hitter things due to the flow of their careers.

David Segui (46) -Son of pitcher Diego Segui; Dwight Evans played with both father and son. Admitted to taking HGH when it was legal, and was a reluctant witness in the Roger Clemens thing.

Phil Cavarretta -Came to the majors at age 18 years and 2 months and stuck around for 22 years, mostly with the Cubs. He's the only player to be active at the same time as both Aaron and Ruth, and at the time of his death in 2010 he was the last living player to have played against Ruth (the Babe is all over today's birthdays). He was a Cub teammate of Kiki Cuyler and Gabby Hartnett as a rookie, and stuck around long enough to be a teammate of Ernie Banks.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 7/19

I got to know those 1927 Yankees playing Strat-O-Matic. They were great in real life and great in the board game. They would hardly ever lose. For fun I would play them against the 62 Mets. Every now and again the 62 Mets would beat them. But not often.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

That's some serious power when you can hit a ball into San Francisco Bay from Pittsburgh!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    That's some serious power when you can hit a ball into San Francisco Bay from Pittsburgh!

I hadn't even noticed that. I don't know what they call that park in SF now. It's changed names a couple of times.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I hadn't even noticed that. I don't know what they call that park in SF now. It's changed names a couple of times.
    SBC, AT&T, EIEIO, who knows?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

AT&T park. I miss the good ole days when the stadiums WEREN'T named after companies. I preferred Candlestick, Riverfront, Tiger Stadium, Astrodome, etc to the Minute Maids, AT&T, PNC, Cinergy and Progressive garbage.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 07-19-2012 at 10:20 AM.

8. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (03-04-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    AT&T park. I miss the good ole days when the stadiums WEREN'T named after companies. I preferred Candlestick, Riverfront, Tiger Stadium, Astrodome, etc to the Minute Maids, AT&T, PNC, Cinergy and Progressive garbage.
    I was still thinking it was PACBell Park. I agree with you. It was simpler with those names of Tiger Stadium,Riverfront etc... Making money tops all though. I'm surprised that the Nationals haven't sold out their name. That one is still called Nationals Park.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Phil Cavarretta -Came to the majors at age 18 years and 2 months and stuck around for 22 years, mostly with the Cubs. He's the only player to be active at the same time as both Aaron and Ruth, and at the time of his death in 2010 he was the last living player to have played against Ruth (the Babe is all over today's birthdays). He was a Cub teammate of Kiki Cuyler and Gabby Hartnett as a rookie, and stuck around long enough to be a teammate of Ernie Banks.
    He was set to manage the Cubs in 1954 but was fired during spring training for his comment that the team was unlikely to finish above fifth place (they finished seventh).

Turn Off Ads?