Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That Worthless Cody Ross

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

That Worthless Cody Ross

Remember when he was given away for most nothing. Well, he did it again. Walk off in Boston. I keep thinking he'd look good right about now. I know. A day late and a dollar short.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: That Worthless Cody Ross

A little late to get sentimental considering he's played for multiple teams since 2006. But yes, it was silly of the long since fired Wayne Krivsky to have traded him and kept Quentin McCracken.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

I never, ever understood why Wayne made that decision.
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Remember when he was given away for most nothing. Well, he did it again. Walk off in Boston. I keep thinking he'd look good right about now. I know. A day late and a dollar short.
    he must have found a new source of untapped "scrappiness" .

Just went back and reviewed the history of acquiring Ross, then trading him 5 weeks later. I forgot he was injured immediately after we acquired him and that he only appeared in two games for us.

While looking at his B-R.com page, I noticed Ryan Ludwick as one of his comparable players. Looking at their present seasons, they're still roughly equivalent to each other, although Cody Ross has been a bit more productive, driving in eight more runs than Ludwick in six fewer games. But they're near each other in walks and tied for home runs.

With Ludwick finally playing better, it's possible that he'll exceed Ross, although I'm guessing not by much. Aside from Ross having played all three OF positions this season, they're roughly the same player.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Yep, it's called the Green Monster. Not that he hasn't had some pretty good streaks before, but that's a Fenway swing if I've ever seen one. Even Kevin Millar pulls foul the pitch Ross hit over the monster last night.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Cody Ross was one of the weirdest player transactions I can remember. I couldn't remember exactly how long he was here until I looked it up on Retrosheet. He was aquired from the Dodgers on April 26,2006 for a player to be named later. Ben Kozlowski was sent to the Dodgers on June 1. Ross played in one game and had one AB on April 28. He didn't see anymore big league action until May 24th in a game he started and went 1-4. I assume he was in the minors for that month. He was sold to the Marlins on May 26. No other players involved in that deal. Maybe the Reds were desperate for money at that time? But really strange the way he was handled.

Chances are if the Reds had kept him then he still wouldn't have been on this team. Players like him, for whatever reason, seem to bounce around the majors quite a bit.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/R/Prossc001.htm
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Cody Ross was one of the weirdest player transactions I can remember. I couldn't remember exactly how long he was here until I looked it up on Retrosheet. He was aquired from the Dodgers on April 26,2006 for a player to be named later. Ben Kozlowski was sent to the Dodgers on June 1. Ross played in one game and had one AB on April 28. He didn't see anymore big league action until May 24th in a game he started and went 1-4. I assume he was in the minors for that month. He was sold to the Marlins on May 26. No other players involved in that deal. Maybe the Reds were desperate for money at that time? But really strange the way he was handled.

Chances are if the Reds had kept him then he still wouldn't have been on this team. Players like him, for whatever reason, seem to bounce around the majors quite a bit.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/R/Prossc001.htm
    He was hit by a pitch in that first game while striking out against Roy Oswalt and went on the DL. I agree it was one of the strangest moves a club has made, although he wasn't great for the Marlins the rest of that season, nor the next year. Still, he was one of a couple of quick pick ups that the club divested fairly quickly that season.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Cody is a free agent after making $3M this season. It probably wouldn't take much to acquire him. His OPS is .902 with an OBP of .345. Hitting lefties at a .328 clip. 15 HR's so far.

I'd be interested, although I prefer another lefthanded bat. He seems like a better Ludwick/Heisey type player.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Ross played in one game and had one AB on April 28. He didn't see anymore big league action until May 24th in a game he started and went 1-4. I assume he was in the minors for that month. He was sold to the Marlins on May 26. No other players involved in that deal. Maybe the Reds were desperate for money at that time? But really strange the way he was handled.
    He was hit by the pitch in the hand. Broke a finger. IIRC the pitch that hit him was called a strike! He may have attempted to bunt on it. But my memory may be failing me (again).

At the time the Reds let Ross go (he was out options) the starting outfielders were Junior, Adam Dunn and Austin Kearns. They also had Ryan Freel and Chris Denorfia.

No room for him. Unfortunately he was the odd man out. I hope we do not make it out to be a Frank Robinson to Baltimore thing (obviously it is not). Hindsight is always 20-20. And I'd venture to guess that everyone here did not give a frog's fat butt about Cody Ross when he was sent to Folrida for cash.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

IIRC, it was one of those moves they made as a favor to the player since there was no room. Kind of like Janish.

Pay attention to the open sky

He was one piece of an extremely schitzophrenic period of player transactions. I wonder if Krivsky set some sort of record.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    He was hit by the pitch in the hand. Broke a finger. IIRC the pitch that hit him was called a strike! He may have attempted to bunt on it. But my memory may be failing me (again).

At the time the Reds let Ross go (he was out options) the starting outfielders were Junior, Adam Dunn and Austin Kearns. They also had Ryan Freel and Chris Denorfia.

No room for him. Unfortunately he was the odd man out. I hope we do not make it out to be a Frank Robinson to Baltimore thing (obviously it is not). Hindsight is always 20-20. And I'd venture to guess that everyone here did not give a frog's fat butt about Cody Ross when he was sent to Folrida for cash.
    Thanks to yo and RedMetz for that. I do seem to remember him being injured right away. Makes some sense now why they sold him becuase of options and roster moves.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    IIRC, it was one of those moves they made as a favor to the player since there was no room. Kind of like Janish.
    Yep. I remember Ross saying at the time that he was grateful for the move by Krivsky to send him somewhere to get another chance. He fully understood that the roster spots in Cinci were filled at the time. I don't remember any hard feelings at all.

IMHO, the Marlins now look far worse than the Reds, as they simply allowed Ross--an established contributor by then-- to claimed on waivers by the Giants on August 21, 2010 without compensation.

In other words, using a similar situation with a former Reds player as an example, Ross was (Felix) Heredia'd by the Marlins.

While such players certainly would not have commanded a King's ransom, it is simply foolish to give away assets, no matter the situation.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

Turn Off Ads?