Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Massacre in Aurora, Colorado

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Massacre in Aurora, Colorado

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1688547.html

Lone Gunman opens fire in a theater for the opening of the Dark Knight Rises.
    14 dead, 50 injured. Some in hospitals in critical condition.
    Simply a tragic event.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: Massacre in Aurora, Colorado

How horribly tragic. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I can't begin to understand this sort of thing, which seems to happen way too often.
    Makes your head spin.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Obviously the actions of the shooter are disgusting.

But one thing I've been asking myself during all this coverage: Who takes their 3-month-old to a movie theater at midnight?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post

But one thing I've been asking myself during all this coverage: Who takes their 3-month-old to a movie theater at midnight?
    Get woken up at 4am today by calls asking if everyone in my clan was okay. We are, thankfully. I don't know anyone else, at this moment, directly affected either. I know a few people that were supposed to going to that theater but headed west instead to meet up with other friends. Lucky I suppose.

But when I turned on the news this morning that's something that immediately came to mind when I heard it as well. I think about my son, who's about to turn 1,and how I'd never take him to a movie at this age, let alone 3 months, let alone a MIDNIGHT showing of a movie. Then I think of Aurora, the town I live in and work in.. The people I see in a daily basis at my job.. And unfortunately I conclude that I shouldn't be surprised that someone took a 3 month old to a midnight movie premier.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Get woken up at 4am today by calls asking if everyone in my clan was okay. We are, thankfully. I don't know anyone else, at this moment, directly affected either. I know a few people that were supposed to going to that theater but headed west instead to meet up with other friends. Lucky I suppose.

But when I turned on the news this morning that's something that immediately came to mind when I heard it as well. I think about my son, who's about to turn 1,and how I'd never take him to a movie at this age, let alone 3 months, let alone a MIDNIGHT showing of a movie. Then I think of Aurora, the town I live in and work in.. The people I see in a daily basis at my job.. And unfortunately I conclude that I shouldn't be surprised that someone took a 3 month old to a midnight movie premier.
    Heck, I'm asking myself why that 6yo that was shot and killed there. 6 yo girl at Dark Knight? I'm no movie buff, but I've heard it's incredibly violent. Parents can do what they want with a kid, but I can't even imagine taking a 6yo to the movie theater that late to see THAT movie.

Heck, I'm asking myself why that 6yo that was shot and killed there. 6 yo girl at Dark Knight? I'm no movie buff, but I've heard it's incredibly violent. Parents can do what they want with a kid, but I can't even imagine taking a 6yo to the movie theater that late to see THAT movie.
    In our society, it's acceptable for kids (attended) to go to violent movies but it is not acceptable for them to attend movies that have nudity and sex in them. It's similar to the old George Carlin bit where he says - and I'm paraphrasing - he'd rather his kids see two people making love than killing one another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    In our society, it's acceptable for kids (attended) to go to violent movies but it is not acceptable for them to attend movies that have nudity and sex in them. It's similar to the old George Carlin bit where he says - and I'm paraphrasing - he'd rather his kids see two people making love than killing one another.
    If you ask me for a link, I can probably find one, but studies have shown that children who are exposed to violence on film suffer much greater consequences than children who are exposed to nudity.

I pondered that myself, once I sat next to guy with a two year old at a jay and silent bob flick

I can not begin to understand the motives for such a slaughter, but then again I doubt that the shooter was in a rational state of mind. Tragic.

Terrible. And like oneupper said, it seems we get these types of incidents way too often.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

You can't fault the media for reporting something like this, that's their job, yet I feel that the manner in which they report these types of occurences leads to copycats. I have no studies or facts to support this, it's just how I feel.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    You can't fault the media for reporting something like this, that's their job, yet I feel that the manner in which they report these types of occurences leads to copycats. I have no studies or facts to support this, it's just how I feel.
    I don't have any "data" to link it either, but in Bowling for Columbine, Michael Moore did a great job of connecting some dots. Surprisingly--or perhaps not--Marilyn Manson had some of the best quotes in the entire movie that managed to blame the media for events like this.

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

How does someone carry an AR15 and a shotgun into a movie theater in July? Sure, I understand if someone would sneak in handguns, but not one, but two long guns?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?