Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Massacre in Aurora, Colorado

Re: Massacre in Aurora, Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Wouldn't the staff at the theater know that there wasn't a movie promotion going on?
    Many people were already dressed in costume. Also, he entered through an exit door.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Many people were already dressed in costume. Also, he entered through an exit door.
    I don't get how that is possible at a sold out premiere.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

On a night as busy as that one was, I'm sure it's difficult to keep an eye on everyone. Also, I doubt anyone there was trained on the protocol for how to handle a situation like that. I think it's important to note what can be done differently to avoid this from happening again, but trying to assign blame to the staff or theater is ridiculous. There is no way to defend yourself against sociopaths unless you're willing to lose your human rights. It's an unfortunate event that can't be undone, and it will likely happen again unless we find an effective way to acknowledge and treat this kind of insanity.

On a night as busy as that one was, I'm sure it's difficult to keep an eye on everyone. Also, I doubt anyone there was trained on the protocol for how to handle a situation like that. I think it's important to note what can be done differently to avoid this from happening again, but trying to assign blame to the staff or theater is ridiculous. There is no way to defend yourself against sociopaths unless you're willing to lose your human rights. It's an unfortunate event that can't be undone, and it will likely happen again unless we find an effective way to acknowledge and treat this kind of insanity.
    I don't understand how you can't put part of the blame on the theater. We have all been to a movie before. The entrances are limited. I have been to sold out premieres, ushers are making sure all seats are taken. In my experience, they pay more attention because there will be a crowd.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

He apparently bought a ticket. Sat in a seat for about 15 minutes or so then sometime after the lights went down he went out the exit door but somehow kept it from closing all the way. Then he went out to his car pulled it up to the back of the theater and then got his weapons and went back in through that exit door.

So that is how he got the weapons in it all came down to him going out that door keeping it open slightly somehow and then re-entering. In the theater it would have seemed unusual for someone to exit that door but with the movie starting most people probably did not pay much attention to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    He apparently bought a ticket. Sat in a seat for about 15 minutes or so then sometime after the lights went down he went out the exit door but somehow kept it from closing all the way. Then he went out to his car pulled it up to the back of the theater and then got his weapons and went back in through that exit door.

So that is how he got the weapons in it all came down to him going out that door keeping it open slightly somehow and then re-entering. In the theater it would have seemed unusual for someone to exit that door but with the movie starting most people probably did not pay much attention to it.
    If that is the story you can't blame the theater at all. This guy was loaded to the tilt with guns, a smoke bomb, as well as a gas mask. He was going to inflict as much bloodshed as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I don't understand how you can't put part of the blame on the theater. We have all been to a movie before. The entrances are limited. I have been to sold out premieres, ushers are making sure all seats are taken. In my experience, they pay more attention because there will be a crowd.
    All the blame goes on the person(s) responsible for the shooting. Period. How do you tell a staff that they should've been prepared for a sociopath with guns, and how do you tell them they are at all to blame for this? Maybe you have some details I don't, but I just don't see how that's reasonable.

It is human nature to want to assign blame because it makes us feel in control to believe we can prevent the next tragedy. In reality there is a lot that is beyond our ability to stop and even more that is beyond our ability to comprehend.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post

I haven't actually read/seen anything on it other than this thread. That certainly explains why, at first at least, no one really knew what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I haven't actually read/seen anything on it other than this thread. That certainly explains why, at first at least, no one really knew what was going on.
    This is where that detail came from:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...26/detail.html

Another thing that article mentions is apparently police have found his apartment is setup with very complex booby traps. Apparently it is so complex police are saying they may be working on this for several days to try to get that part taken care of.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    And what if the movie theater employees DID manage to see the guy...THEN WHAT? He's a nut job who's going to do what he did regardless of whether someone sees him or not. He obviously planned this out, I don't think it'd be too tough for him to rig the door to open from the outside. Blaming the theater staff is beyond crazy IMO. Ushers are teenage kids for the most part, are we really expecting them to be responsible for "security"?

Radio here in Denver (850 koa) had a reporter on saying at least a dozen or so witnesses recall seeing someone from the front row get up to open the door. Too much Unconfirmed information out there right now to really know what is certain and what is rumor.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Radio here in Denver (850 koa) had a reporter on saying at least a dozen or so witnesses recall seeing someone from the front row get up to open the door. Too much Unconfirmed information out there right now to really know what is certain and what is rumor.
    Still it would only be slightly odd to see someone walk out. Someone doing so could be a Dr. On call or whatever. I park at the back of theatres to exit quickly myself. Also on a side note, I try and examine exits for every public place I enter just to be a tiny bit more prepared if something like this ever happens to me and my family.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

American flag @ half-mast here @ GABP. Would assume for the memory of the victims...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    American flag @ half-mast here @ GABP. Would assume for the memory of the victims...
    Yes, moment of silence prior to the game too

Turn Off Ads?