Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Massacre in Aurora, Colorado

Re: Massacre in Aurora, Colorado

Instances like this, where there is absolutely zero question of culpability in absolutely heinous crimes, should merit a fast-track death sentence. Instead, this piece of human excrement will get to enjoy sucking oxygen for the next 20 years as his case winds its way through the judicial system.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Instances like this, where there is absolutely zero question of culpability in absolutely heinous crimes, should merit a fast-track death sentence. Instead, this piece of human excrement will get to enjoy sucking oxygen for the next 20 years as his case winds its way through the judicial system.
    I feel the same. A letter to our US senators and Congress would be a good idea.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Unfortunately for mankind we're stuck with this Bell Curve thingamy doo hickey that pretty much guarantees that given a certain sample size, one dodo head will emerge in spite of rules, regulations, and any other obstacle the sane puts up in attempt to protect society from said outlier. Given the nature of gravity and physics and stuff I'm too ignorant to comprehend, there are no physical laws that could stop someone who really wanted to do this. The same air that you can take a jog through or stare at a sunset or let sand fall through your fingers also lets bullets fly through it. There isn't an answer, and it's one of the most hopeless feelings as a human being to have. I try to reason my way through these things and end up in the same place: the only laws that can't be broken are the ones that Mother Nature set forth. The results can go either way, depending on the day.

Worth The Wait

Well said Dom....

The only way to"prevent" this type of stuff is to recognize these individuals on a micro level well before they get to a point of delusion and rage. What I mean by the is most of these mass shooters, etc display signs years and years prior to their ultimate action. A parent, friend, sibling etc tht is aware enough might be able to step in and get them help before it is too late. Like Dom said, once their mind is made up, there is little anyone else can do--- the price we pay for a free society.

Those Columbine kids had weapons, drawings, plans all over their garage and bedrooms..... Either no one around them cared or no one took it seriously.

The scary thing about "loners" is that no one really WANTS to be alone all the time. Humans are social and meant to have various relationships with other humans. If someone gets to 24 years of age without a friend or close relative or significant other in their life, I think that has the potential to be a disaster.

I'm certainly not a mental health professional and maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'd say identifying warning signs early is our only real hope to stop someone with these types of tendencies.

In a semi-related note, some insensitive moron pulled a fire alarm at a showing of Dark Night here in OKC this evening. My good friend and his nine-month pregnant wife were in th theater and he said there was lots of panic and that they just went straight home and were pretty shaken up.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    It is human nature to want to assign blame because it makes us feel in control to believe we can prevent the next tragedy. In reality there is a lot that is beyond our ability to stop and even more that is beyond our ability to comprehend.
    And that's what's puzzling to our minds when such a tragedy like this occurs.... trying to comprehend, figure out why and what motivates individuals to commit such a horrific act against their fellow human beings.

The human mind is far more complex and that "undiscovered country" that may never be fully comprehended, as far as understanding how it can sink into such depravity as what occurred yesterday.

And I'm waiting to hear someone say, who knew this guy.... "Gee, he seemed like such a nice young man. I just can't believe he would do something like this." How many times have we heard that before in situations like this?

And no matter how much we try to study this obviously obsessively deranged person, what motivated him, and how we can possibly learn and prevent it from occurring again, we, sadly, won't be able to. And that's what's even scarier because a sick mind is not always so obvious to see outwardly as far as physical signs.

My heart and prayers go out to these families.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-21-2012 at 04:07 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

This murderer will likely have the next 20 years to write his book and receive love letters in prison from the deranged (it happens see Lacy Peterson's husband) . Now if we stuck a needle in his arm on National TV Monday morning it just might serve as a deterrent to these otherwise unstoppable bell curve outlier lunatics.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

http://www.naturalnews.com/036536_Ja...alse_flag.html
    Conspiracy theories already sprouting up.

Saw that article on FB and it is easily one of the stupidest things I have ever read.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Not that I'm buying the conspiracy theories, but the article has made me think about some stuff, and I just can't begin to answer some of my own questions. Sorry if some of these thoughts are morbid..

1) How does a guy like this amass what is reportedly close to 20K in tactical gear, firearms, and ammunition? Dude is unemployed. Even an unemployment check never got me close to having a ton of money to pay my rent, get food, and then be able to even consider purchasing loads upon loads of ammunition, firearms, and explosives.

2) Why did he choose this particular theater? If the guy was looking to massacre a large number of people, which he did, he would have been better off choosing one of many other theaters in the city of Aurora, let alone Denver. The one he chose was right across the street from the largest police hub, and the main Aurora Jail. If I'm looking to kill people, for whatever reason, I'm not choosing a place that's going to have cops swarming me fairly quickly. I'm going to pick a more isolated spot where I have more time.

3) Why did he give up without a fight? If he's wearing tactical body armor from head to toe, that to me tells me he's looking for a fight. I don't get why you'd bother dressing up like this if you have a death wish. To me, if you're dressed like this, you're looking to put up a big fight with armed persons. Instead, no altercation with police. Wth?

4) Why didn't the cops come in guns a blazing? People here get shot by cops for a lot less. I don't know.. Just seems weird to me. Admittedly, I dont have all the facts yet of how the surrender took place... let alone all the facts of what exactly happened.

5) Again, it appears this dude is out to kill and hurt people obviously. Hence his rampage and rigging his apartment to explode. But if you're wanting to hurt people further by rigging your apartment, why on earth do you tell the cops that there's explosive material in your apartment? Wouldn't you want them to "discover" this on their own, with the hopes of carrying out the intended goal of harming whoever visited there? Why give them a heads up?

I don't know.. again, sorry for these morbid thoughts. It just doesn't compute to me. Then again, walking into a theater and opening fire on innocent people doesn't compute with me either. It makes me sick to my stomach, as a new parent, to think about being there. To think about those who were there, and lost their lives. I had close family friends that were supposed to be at this theater. For whatever reason, divine intervention, chance, luck, what have you.. they went across town to another theater instead, last minute, when a friend called and asked them to see the movie with her. One of the victims was friends with my close family friends. I'm sad for their loss. Its heartbreaking.

You look for reasons and answers but ultimately, I don't know if you can ever get one. Because this isn't a reasonable act. There is no justifiable reason for why this occurred. Its senseless. Its disturbing.

I had to take phone calls at 4 in the morning from family on the west coast, asking if I was okay. And as for immediate friends and family, no one I know was there(that I know of), and no one was hurt. As a resident of Aurora, and a lifelong resident of CO, I never go to this mall where the theater is if I can't help it. There's been noted gang related shootings and violence in the past. And its just not, IMO that great an area. Part of me is kind of surprised no one in that theater was carrying and fought back. Its not the greatest part of the town that I live in, but its not the worst either. The main police hub, jail, and court house that has gone up across the street has helped the area.

I don't know, the first day this happened, I was just shocked. Now I'm kinda angry. At the guy who did this. At some of the people who were there with children. Why on earth would you bring a BABY to a movie, let alone Batman, let alone a MIDNIGHT SCREENING of Batman. You should have been at home, with your kid!~ Or find a babysitter. Just so many different things wrong with this whole things on so many different levels. I just don't know where to start.

Its on the news all the time, its all anyone is talking about around here. Its just messed up.

Sorry this turned into me venting a little bit too. I'm just thankful my family and friends are safe. I'm saddened by the victims of this... I'm not an overly religious person, but I have been praying lately for these people. It's the epitome of tragic.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

On the first question cincyinco, $20k is not a lot of money, especially if he's been amassing the stuff for years. And if not I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation, an inheritance, a frugal lifestyle, who knows.

Most of the rest can be answered with "because he's crazy."
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    On the first question cincyinco, $20k is not a lot of money, especially if he's been amassing the stuff for years. And if not I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation, an inheritance, a frugal lifestyle, who knows.

Most of the rest can be answered with "because he's crazy."
    He could have put it all on credit cards. Figuring to go down in a hail of gunfire before the bill came due.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    The scary thing about "loners" is that no one really WANTS to be alone all the time. Humans are social and meant to have various relationships with other humans. If someone gets to 24 years of age without a friend or close relative or significant other in their life, I think that has the potential to be a disaster.

I'm certainly not a mental health professional and maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'd say identifying warning signs early is our only real hope to stop someone with these types of tendencies.
    You may not be a mental health professional but I think you do know what you're talking about. Prisoners put in solitary confinement go mad. We have an alienating society. Obviously most don't go bonkers, but even a few is too many.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    http://www.naturalnews.com/036536_Ja...alse_flag.html
    Conspiracy theories already sprouting up.
    I read one theory at the cesspit that is Stormfront that Holmes was brainwashed into the attack by Marxist Zionists who want to disarm Americans of their guns.

Such a sad sad event. All around. The victims. The families. When these events occur, I always wonder what happened in these peoples' lives to push them to this.

He was probably really scared of dying, hence the armor and the quick/easy surrender.

Turn Off Ads?