Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays- 7/30

Birthdays- 7/30

Reds:

Bob Barton (70)- Local guy who finally got to play for his hometown team at the end of his career.

Joe Nuxhall- What can I say?

Other:

Clint Hurdle (54)- On his way to a Manager Of The Year Award?

Steve Trout (54)

Ellis Valentine (57) Part of the Cromartie-Dawson-Valentine outfield that the Expos had for a while. Terrific arm.

Doug Rader (67)- The Rooster; a key figure in Ball Four.

Casey Stengel- Remembered now as a lovable old guy who mangled the English language, but there were other sides to him.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays- 7/30

I understand why you would want to forget Clint Hurdle's time with the Reds, but he was part of the big 1982 overall. He was supposed to replace George Foster in LF, IIRC.

He was also one of the early SI curse victims. They had him on the cover as the next phenom rookie.

Last edited by 757690; 07-30-2011 at 03:07 PM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Ellis Valentine (57) Part of the Cromartie-Dawson-Valentine outfield that the Expos had for a while. Terrific arm.
    My friends and I used to practice long throws from the OF. When we'd make a good one we'd call it an Ellis Valentine throw. I also always remember the half QB facemask to protect his face while batting.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

A player worthy of being added to this list might be Gus Triandos, catcher of the 50s and 60s, mostly with Baltimore. He is 82 today.

Turn Off Ads?