Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 69 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Targets and Trade Rumors

Re: Reds Trade Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    This from the Sundeck. Really makes no sense at all unless it would be just to play in LOU.

It makes SOME sense if Capps is part of a package sending reliever(s) from Cincy to Minny for Capps and Span and/or Willingham, otherwise, as just Capps it makes no sense at all

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Is he physically sound? I had the same thought as one responder - can another team talk to a player unless it is possibly a 72-hour negotiation window? Capps is due about $2.25M for the rest of the year with a $6M option next year (and a $250K buyout). I don't think there's alot to this unless the Reds are going to be big time deals - ie- Chapman to the rotation and Bailey or Leake in a deal for an impact bat- and I don't see that happening. If it did occur, I'd expect a deal that included Spann.

Semi-interesting factoid: Matt's middle name is Dicus.
    The Reds absolutely could not have spoken to him. The windows where such a conversation is permitted is only after a trade has been agreed to pending action on the player's part. I'd suggest this is bogus regarding the Red having spoken to him as that would clearly be tampering.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

On MLBTraderumor's Live Chat just now, someone asked where Juan Pierre might be playing come the end of the month. He wrote

I do think the Reds make some sense. The Reds might also check in with Boston on guys like Nava and Sweeney given Boston's upcoming roster crunch. Cincy could use a lefty hitting outfielder to limit Sutton's exposure against right-handed pitching.

I then asked what he meant by Sutton and he gave OPS stats and said a player could help out with that. I then asked who "Sutton" was and he corrected him self, noting he meant Stubbs.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Bookstore

Should we have a separate thread for reporting rumors without discussion akin to our spring training thread?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Should we have a separate thread for reporting rumors without discussion akin to our spring training thread?
    I don't think so. This one seems to be flowing well.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    On MLBTraderumor's Live Chat just now, someone asked where Juan Pierre might be playing come the end of the month. He wrote

I do think the Reds make some sense. The Reds might also check in with Boston on guys like Nava and Sweeney given Boston's upcoming roster crunch. Cincy could use a lefty hitting outfielder to limit Sutton's exposure against right-handed pitching.

I then asked what he meant by Sutton and he gave OPS stats and said a player could help out with that. I then asked who "Sutton" was and he corrected him self, noting he meant Stubbs.
    He finished the chat with this, "(My bad re. Sutton-Stubbs, btw)".

The Baseball Bookstore

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    The Reds absolutely could not have spoken to him. The windows where such a conversation is permitted is only after a trade has been agreed to pending action on the player's part. I'd suggest this is bogus regarding the Red having spoken to him as that would clearly be tampering.
    They actually could have if the Twins gave written permission. In the MLR, teams are forbidden from tampering but any club can waive this rule by simply writing MLB allowing for contract discussions to take place.

So theoretically, if the Reds or any club wanted to make a trade on the condition they worked out a contract prior to execution, they could do so if the club gives permission.

I'm not saying I believe this rumor, but it's not impossible.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I don't really believe the Capps rumor - no way he'd talk to a stranger about something like that in mid season anyway, even if permission was given.

And the logistics make no sense either. Why would Capps have been in Huntsville this afternoon to catch a flight? He pitched for Ft. Myers on Monday night, and he's supposed to pitch for them in Clearwater tonight.

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    I don't understand why anyone would want Willingham over Upton, who is younger and more productive. The only sound argument I have heard so far might be money -- but how do people know for sure that Bob is done spending? I don't recall reading him say anywhere that "that's it, we're done."
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    And the logistics make no sense either. Why would Capps have been in Huntsville this afternoon to catch a flight? He pitched for Ft. Myers on Monday night, and he's supposed to pitch for them in Clearwater tonight.
    That, and Minnesota's AA affiliate doesn't even play in the Southern League.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I don't understand why anyone would want Willingham over Upton, who is younger and more productive. The only sound argument I have heard so far might be money -- but how do people know for sure that Bob is done spending? I don't recall reading him say anywhere that "that's it, we're done."
    I'm assuming we'd have to give up our top pitching prospects for Upton...... not as much for Willingham.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Meh. Reds aren't trading anyone.

I don't know anyone who directly works for the Reds. But I have a friend of a friend thing going where they get info from someone who works for the Reds. Basically his word is that he doesn't see Bob adding payroll. Nor does he think Bob will part with Hamilton, Cingrani or Corcino. Apparently Bob doesn't like trading his gold prospects. This snitch really thinks they have nothing to deal and won't deal the golden ones, and that they can't add payroll.

But then again, the snitch/source really had nothing concrete, just generalizations. When asked about the Matt Capps rumor, he didn't know anything about it. But surmised that maybe Chapman gets moved into the rotation, Capps gets added to close, and Leake or Bailey get dealt since Bob doesn't want to trade Hamilton, Corcino, or Cingrani.

Take it for what it's worth. Nothing concrete there, just some guessing on his part.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

I don't know anyone who directly works for the Reds. But I have a friend of a friend thing going where they get info from someone who works for the Reds. Basically his word is that he doesn't see Bob adding payroll. Nor does he think Bob will part with Hamilton, Cingrani or Corcino. Apparently Bob doesn't like trading his gold prospects. This snitch really thinks they have nothing to deal and won't deal the golden ones, and that they can't add payroll.

But then again, the snitch/source really had nothing concrete, just generalizations. When asked about the Matt Capps rumor, he didn't know anything about it. But surmised that maybe Chapman gets moved into the rotation, Capps gets added to close, and Leake or Bailey get dealt since Bob doesn't want to trade Hamilton, Corcino, or Cingrani.

Take it for what it's worth. Nothing concrete there, just some guessing on his part.
    Why is he so against trading Cingrani who is merely our 10th-best prospect?

[sarcasm off]

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

Bob traded a number of top prospects last off-season.

Reds will make a move, I have no doubt. May not be for a Justin Upton, but the needs are too glaring.

Turn Off Ads?