Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: NBA puts ads on uniforms, is MLB Next?

  1. #16
    You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,577
    Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    So long as it doesn't reach this point:

    Announcer: Now standing in the Tostito's On Deck Circle.. Chapman is warming up in the WalMart bullpen.
    I do like the Chik-fil-A Fowl pole
    Witty signature.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,082

    Re: NBA puts ads on uniforms, is MLB Next?

    Every part of a broadcast is sponsored, so it is not like any of this is unprecedented. Part of me would recoil at seeing ads on jerseys, but it would just become normal, like plastic helmets, AstroTurf, the bullpen car, polyester, all those powder blue jerseys, super long pants (Manny style), 3 hour games, etc...

    Is someone really going to stop watching baseball because there is a Great American symbol on a shirt? It would be like giving up on listening to Mötley Crüe because they all wore leather vest with no shirt underneath. So, the sprayed hair, super tight girly pants, prancing around on stage, and eyeliner were all okay, but leather vests with no shirt, that's too far. It seems pretty silly.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  4. #18
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    839

    Re: NBA puts ads on uniforms, is MLB Next?

    I just hope they don't start putting sponser's names on the ballparks (stadiums? stadia?). Instead of Tigers Stadium and Yankee Stadium, I could not imagine going to ballparks named after gum and beer and insurance.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

  5. #19
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,247

    Re: NBA puts ads on uniforms, is MLB Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    I do like the Chik-fil-A Fowl pole

    I like that one.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pook's Hill
    Posts
    1,551

    Re: NBA puts ads on uniforms, is MLB Next?

    Yet another revenue stream for the owners/players that is paid for by the masses. What's not to like.

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,842

    Re: NBA puts ads on uniforms, is MLB Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    Yet another revenue stream for the owners/players that is paid for by the masses. What's not to like.
    Yeah, what's to like? If fans received a benefit (cheaper ticket prices or cheaper concessions prices for instance), I think you could rally people behind it. But to line the owner's/player's/league's pockets further?

    Yeah, count me as not a fan.

  8. #22
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,322

    Re: NBA puts ads on uniforms, is MLB Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Yeah, what's to like? If fans received a benefit (cheaper ticket prices or cheaper concessions prices for instance), I think you could rally people behind it. But to line the owner's/player's/league's pockets further?

    Yeah, count me as not a fan.
    Doesn't lining the owners pocket, line the players pockets, which can keep players around, which can help you win more, which makes us fans happy?

  9. #23
    Member ervinsm84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    West Chester
    Posts
    448

    Re: NBA puts ads on uniforms, is MLB Next?

    I'm sure we all agree MLB will likely be the last major sport to put ads on the uniforms (and maybe they never will), but how long before the NFL does the same as the NBA? My guess is in the next 4-5 years the NFL will have similar patches on their uniforms.
    Newsflash!

    Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

    NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

  10. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,842

    Re: NBA puts ads on uniforms, is MLB Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Doesn't lining the owners pocket, line the players pockets, which can keep players around, which can help you win more, which makes us fans happy?
    Most of the players and owners make plenty of money as is.

    I think the ads cheapen the product.

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    277

    Re: NBA puts ads on uniforms, is MLB Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Most of the players and owners make plenty of money as is.

    I think the ads cheapen the product.
    I don't get this sentiment. We're already being bombarded with advertisements, from commercials, in-game sponsorships, advertisements throughout the arena, official this-and-that of each team...The list goes on forever.

    The uniforms already have a Reebok logo on them.

    This is just reluctance to change.

  12. #26
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,790

    Re: NBA puts ads on uniforms, is MLB Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    I just hope they don't start putting sponser's names on the ballparks (stadiums? stadia?). Instead of Tigers Stadium and Yankee Stadium, I could not imagine going to ballparks named after gum and beer and insurance.
    *checks sarcasm detector*

    This baby is off the charts!
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  13. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pook's Hill
    Posts
    1,551

    Re: NBA puts ads on uniforms, is MLB Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I don't get this sentiment. We're already being bombarded with advertisements, from commercials, in-game sponsorships, advertisements throughout the arena, official this-and-that of each team...The list goes on forever.

    The uniforms already have a Reebok logo on them.

    This is just reluctance to change.
    I'm opposed to having the general populace subsidize professional sports. Someone has never watched an NBA or MLB game is still paying their part with every product they purchase. The more streams of advertising the higher the 'tax' on the general public.

  14. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    277

    Re: NBA puts ads on uniforms, is MLB Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    I'm opposed to having the general populace subsidize professional sports. Someone has never watched an NBA or MLB game is still paying their part with every product they purchase. The more streams of advertising the higher the 'tax' on the general public.
    Agreed. But we're already so awash in advertising, this seems a rather arbitrary point to put up a stand.

  15. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,842

    Re: NBA puts ads on uniforms, is MLB Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I don't get this sentiment. We're already being bombarded with advertisements, from commercials, in-game sponsorships, advertisements throughout the arena, official this-and-that of each team...The list goes on forever.

    The uniforms already have a Reebok logo on them.

    This is just reluctance to change.
    As was pointed out earlier in the thread, having the company who made the product's logo on the uniform isn't the same as as "Dove" or "Crest" appearing on the player's uniform.

    And I'm well aware we're already bombarded with ads everywhere. I just think putting it on player's uniforms cheapens the product of the sport.

  16. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pook's Hill
    Posts
    1,551

    Re: NBA puts ads on uniforms, is MLB Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Agreed. But we're already so awash in advertising, this seems a rather arbitrary point to put up a stand.
    I'm sure that's what King George III was thinking too.

    Advertising revenue is paid for by anyone that buy the product. Every increase in the advertising revenue is, in a sense, a 'tax' increase. Would you take the same stance if your local government was recommending an across the board sales tax increase to pay for a professional tiddlywinks team.

    By the way, it is not an arbitrary point at all, I have been objecting to this type of 'hidden entertainment tax' for many, many years.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25