Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: Nick Travieso to make first pro start Sunday, July 22nd

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Nick Travieso to make first pro start Sunday, July 22nd

    According to his own twitter:

    Live BP felt amazing today! Looking forward to my first start Sunday! #Reds #FF #DD #GOE

    https://twitter.com/NTravieso21
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: Nick Travieso to make first pro start Sunday, July 22nd

    I love how the starting pitching depth is spaced in the Red farm system.

    They have Corcino, Suluran, Lotzkar, and Cingrani nearly ready now. At least one of them should make the jump successfully to AAA and would replace Arroyo after the 2013 season.
    Over the next couple seasons, as Leake, Bailey, and Latos become more expensive, at least one of the others would likely replace the most expensive/ least productive of the major league trio. Quezada and Rogers provide intriguing but low ceiling depth should there be struggles or injuries over the next couple seasons. (An added bonus-- Red brass will likely be patient with high upside young arms, allowing them to show their true major league colors.) Then, as free agency/ big raises in arbitration loom, Stephenson and Tavieso are scheduled to be ready.

    Assuming health, it's the perfect storm for keeping costs down and still having an effective rotation.

    If you can't have blue chip hurlers at every level every year, this is a nice fall-back option.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    404

    Re: Nick Travieso to make first pro start Sunday, July 22nd

    Lotzkar isn't close to being ready and Sulbaran should move to the pen. The main 2 Reds pitching prospects are Cingrani and Corcino who both have questions and may end up as pen arms. Lotzkar is the only guy that has the complete tools to be a starter right now. But with his past injury history and struggles in AA, he is a 2 years off at least.

    The next best pitching prospect who profiles as a starter is Mr.Stephenson down in rookie ball. Explains why the Reds drafted another arm.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,932

    Re: Nick Travieso to make first pro start Sunday, July 22nd

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
    Lotzkar isn't close to being ready and Sulbaran should move to the pen. The main 2 Reds pitching prospects are Cingrani and Corcino who both have questions and may end up as pen arms. Lotzkar is the only guy that has the complete tools to be a starter right now. But with his past injury history and struggles in AA, he is a 2 years off at least.

    The next best pitching prospect who profiles as a starter is Mr.Stephenson down in rookie ball. Explains why the Reds drafted another arm.
    Agree on all fronts, except I think you may be a little harsh on Corcino and Cingrani:

    Lotzkar still needs at least 2 more years in minor league development (during which he needs to stay healthy).
    Sulbaran should probably move to the 'pen.
    Corcino, Cingrani, Stephenson, and Travieso are likely the Reds best pitching prospects in that order (although Lotzkar currently sits at #5 and could vault up the charts if/when he finds his control).
    Stephenson and Travieso are both probably 3-4 years away from big league consideration.
    Corcino and especially Cingrani could wind up in the 'pen, but at this point they both look like two pretty good starting pitching prospects that could be ready as soon as late next season or definitely OD 2014.
    Go BLUE!!!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    404

    Re: Nick Travieso to make first pro start Sunday, July 22nd

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Agree on all fronts, except I think you may be a little harsh on Corcino and Cingrani:

    Lotzkar still needs at least 2 more years in minor league development (during which he needs to stay healthy).
    Sulbaran should probably move to the 'pen.
    Corcino, Cingrani, Stephenson, and Travieso are likely the Reds best pitching prospects in that order (although Lotzkar currently sits at #5 and could vault up the charts if/when he finds his control).
    Stephenson and Travieso are both probably 3-4 years away from big league consideration.
    Corcino and especially Cingrani could wind up in the 'pen, but at this point they both look like two pretty good starting pitching prospects that could be ready as soon as late next season or definitely OD 2014.
    Yeah, don't get me wrong, I am not saying Corcino or Cingrani are pen bound for sure, but they do have the questions. Stephenson is the only guy that doesn't have those questions. We just hope he can stay healthy. Getting another good arm in there to increase talent was necessary. Hopefully by this time next year, the Reds can load up on bats.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: Nick Travieso to make first pro start Sunday, July 22nd

    Lotzkar, Corcino, Sulburan, and Cingrani will have been either exposed as pretenders or learned enough to continue to dominate opposing minor leaguers by the end of 2013. (And that's conservative with at least two of them.)

    Arroyo will be a free agent at the end of the 2013 season. Bailey, Leake, and Latos will be free agents in 2016 and arbitration eligible in 2013.

    That's six possible starting prospects/ candidates (with Chapman and Hoover, if they wish) to fill somewhere between one and four spots in the major league rotation in 2014.

    That's an enviable situation to be in.

    After that shakes out, you've got a couple guys with stuff and production enough to be considered for depth-- sixth or seventh starters, if you will. They should be ready a year or two after the aforementioned battle royale works out.

    Then, at the end of 2015, you've got Stephenson and perhaps Travieso as free agent insurance.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  7. #7
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Nick Travieso to make first pro start Sunday, July 22nd

    I'd like to see them move Hoover back to starting at Louisville. It would increase his value, either for the future with the Reds or in trade for need.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: Nick Travieso to make first pro start Sunday, July 22nd

    Hoover may be needed in the second half of the season.

    I would stretch him out next season if he doesn't make the team out of Spring Training (though I'm guessing he will).
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  9. #9
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,949

    Re: Nick Travieso to make first pro start Sunday, July 22nd

    Nobody thinks Villareal could be a back end of the rotation guy? I get kind of an Elizardo vibe about him, but I think he at least should get a look and be in the conversation.

    Hoover is a reliever. Its where his value lies and probably would be better out of Cincy. He'd be a guy I'd be offering around to try to get a bat.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  10. #10
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,784

    Re: Nick Travieso to make first pro start Sunday, July 22nd

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Nobody thinks Villareal could be a back end of the rotation guy? I get kind of an Elizardo vibe about him, but I think he at least should get a look and be in the conversation.

    Hoover is a reliever. Its where his value lies and probably would be better out of Cincy. He'd be a guy I'd be offering around to try to get a bat.
    I think Villarreal is a back end guy and I would say he is more than Elizardo was. Better stuff. Control isn't quite as good, but it is still pretty good. Villarreal has two above average pitches to his name.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: Nick Travieso to make first pro start Sunday, July 22nd

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Hoover is a reliever. Its where his value lies and probably would be better out of Cincy. He'd be a guy I'd be offering around to try to get a bat.
    Hoover's minor league starting numbers are more than solid. His last season as a full-time starter, as a 22-year-old in A+ and AA, he went 14-7 with a 3.29 ERA with more IP than hits allowed (153.1 - 141). He also had an 8.9 K/9 that season. The only reason he was moved to the pen was because Atlanta had a ton of young starters.

    While he's not an ace, he'd be more than adequate as a MOR guy for a few years.

    As a bullpen arm, he's a shut-down back-end guy. He's toying with AAA hitters so far this season.

    There's absolutely no reason to deal a cheap, effective reliever with above average stuff unless you're receiving a guy that's well above average. Far better to deal the more expensive Arredondo.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  12. #12
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,949

    Re: Nick Travieso to make first pro start Sunday, July 22nd

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Hoover's minor league starting numbers are more than solid. His last season as a full-time starter, as a 22-year-old in A+ and AA, he went 14-7 with a 3.29 ERA with more IP than hits allowed (153.1 - 141). He also had an 8.9 K/9 that season. The only reason he was moved to the pen was because Atlanta had a ton of young starters.

    While he's not an ace, he'd be more than adequate as a MOR guy for a few years.

    As a bullpen arm, he's a shut-down back-end guy. He's toying with AAA hitters so far this season.

    There's absolutely no reason to deal a cheap, effective reliever with above average stuff unless you're receiving a guy that's well above average. Far better to deal the more expensive Arredondo.
    What would you get for Arredondo? A rebuilding team wants more years of control. A contender isn't giving a bat. A team with a bat to offer is after a piece for the future. I'd rather deal Hoover than Cingrani, Corcino, H-Rod, Didi or Hamilton. They don't want Ondrusek or Arredondo. A contender might take those guys, but would only offer fringe prospects IMO.

    Hoover is a fly ball machine. He looks an awful lot like Sam Lecure to me. Lecure as a 22 Y/O in A+ 3.43 ERA, with 7.3 K/9 and 2.9 BB/9. The Braves knew what they were doing when they moved him to the pen. He went from a fringe AAAA starting prospect to a pretty good back of the bullpen prospect. I doubt he'd draw much interest as a starter.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: Nick Travieso to make first pro start Sunday, July 22nd

    A fly ball machine? You're judging Hoover on the 18 IP in the majors?

    Really?

    Wow.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  14. #14
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,784

    Re: Nick Travieso to make first pro start Sunday, July 22nd

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    A fly ball machine? You're judging Hoover on the 18 IP in the majors?

    Really?

    Wow.
    To be fair, Hoover has been a rather big fly ball pitcher in the minors too. His GB rate from 2010-2012 is 35.6%. Translate that to the Majors and he would rank him 20th in the Majors this season in terms of highest non-groundball rate among the 211 pitchers with at least 40 innings pitched.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: Nick Travieso to make first pro start Sunday, July 22nd

    Where does it rank in minor league baseball? In the Southern League? In AAA/ International League?

    (I'd look but can't find where you're getting ground ball rates from.)
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25