Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Guy Getting it Done!

Old Guy Getting it Done!

Lost in Bailey and Chapman's pitching, I wanted to highlight that Scott Rolen is finally starting to heat up. He is 8 for his last 21, at a time when the Reds needed him most with Bruce scuffling and Votto out. If he can stay hot for a couple weeks, it will go a long way towards easing the pain of Votto being out.

I think he is done after this year, but I'd love to see him with the Reds next year as a coach. I would love it if he could finish out the season and his "hall of fame?" career with a stretch drive that carries us to a World Championship. What a story that would be!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Old Guy Getting it Done!

Lost in Bailey and Chapman's pitching, I wanted to highlight that Scott Rolen is finally starting to heat up. He is 8 for his last 21, at a time when the Reds needed him most with Bruce scuffling and Votto out. If he can stay hot for a couple weeks, it will go a long way towards easing the pain of Votto being out.

I think he is done after this year, but I'd love to see him with the Reds next year as a coach. I would love it if he could finish out the season and his "hall of fame?" career with a stretch drive that carries us to a World Championship. What a story that would be!
    Couldn't agree more. Look who's stepping up with Votto out. #27
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I've always loved watching Rolen and I'm thrilled he is having a good stretch in what is likely his final season. Can't wait to see him go out in style.

Consumate professional.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Look who's stepping up with Votto out. #27
    Not a bit surprised.

I'd bring Rolen back next year in a heartbeat in the Cairo role.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

Rolen has been great but I would still give Frazier the job over him If Votto came back tomorrow.

I also feel that Stubbs has come through in the clutch lately. He went 0fer last night, but previously was ridding a four game hitting streak and had two, two hit games.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Rolen is VERY CLASSY!! Not sure we can afford a roster spot for him next year. He is close to home so I doubt he plays anywhere else but Cincy.

I was just thinking last night it was time for him to heat up and get the BA to around .250.

Rolen is a leader. Stretching a single into a double is what this team needs right now and he is putting it all on the line.

A few weeks ago at a game I starting calling him Gramps. Now my boys are calling him that (all in good fun). Since that time he has taken off and showed the youngsters he still has a little left in his tank.

I am glad to see him starting to produce.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

I have immense respect for Scott Rolen. To me he is a complete professional who is a joy to watch with either the stick or glove.

I think alot of times the leadership stuff in the lockerroom stuff is overrated, but my gut instinct tells me having someone like Rolen in the clubhouse is a huge benefit.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    Rolen has been great but I would still give Frazier the job over him If Votto came back tomorrow.

I also feel that Stubbs has come through in the clutch lately. He went 0fer last night, but previously was ridding a four game hitting streak and had two, two hit games.
    I wouldn't. If Rolen can OPS even just .750 at 3B, his defense makes him worth keeping in the lineup.

Frazier needs playing time, no doubt, but I give him 1B time when Votto needs a day off, 3B time when Rolen does and let him split time with Ludwick in LF. Then Heisey backs up Stubbs and Bruce.

This isn't directed only at rolen, but the rest of the team also: Why does it take Votto going down for the rest of the team to "pick it up"? Doesn't that imply they weren't trying as hard before?

Things I ponder on sleepless nights after a win.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    This isn't directed only at rolen, but the rest of the team also: Why does it take Votto going down for the rest of the team to "pick it up"? Doesn't that imply they weren't trying as hard before?

Things I ponder on sleepless nights after a win.
    Barring the 2 innings of the comeback against the Diamondbacks our offense is still struggling to get the job done. Even last night without a great start from Bailey that was a lose-able game. I was however encouraged by the positive output of Cozart and Bruce who had been awful as of late. Keep it rolling tonight!

Personally I think Rolen is on a hot streak and it has nothing to do with Votto being out. Its just happening at a really good time.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

All the talk about Rolen being done and his bat speed being slow, and the old man references wore on me a little. Players get hot and players also slump. He was in a funk, but now seems to be seeing the ball better and hitting the ball. He's 37, but he still plays a monster third base and, as we saw last night, can hit. Scott Rolen wasn't the problem with the offense anyway. It falls on lineup construction and players at the top of the lineup not producing (kudos to Cozart lately, though). I'm proud to say Scott Rolen has played for my favorite team.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I not only think Rolen's hot streak has nothing to do with Votto being out, I think his hot streak is a fluke. Father Time is undefeated.

Turn Off Ads?