Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should the Old Red Guard and Sun Deck be merged into one baseball forum?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I like the idea of having one forum where everyone can discuss baseball

99 83.19%
  • No, I like things the way they currently are

20 16.81%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible ORG/Sun Deck Merge - Are you in Favor?

Possible ORG/Sun Deck Merge - Are you in Favor?

All,

GIK and I have recently spoken and are considering merging the Old Red Guard and Sun Deck forums into one forum and want to get your thoughts on the idea (whether via a vote or response to this post). If we do decide to do this, please be well aware the forum would be run using current ORG moderation guidelines (i.e. stricter than the Sun Deck has historically been). If anyone cannot adapt to those rules, they would be subject to disciplinary measures up to a permanent ban from the site. Additionally, please note that the results of these polls will not necessarily determine if we make the change - we simply want to measure the level of interest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Possible ORG/Sun Deck Merge - Are you in Favor?

I am in favor but I also liked the post from Jojo in the ORG thread concerning this : "I think the forums need to undergo renovation or there needs to be a way to allow more people to enter the ORG. "

I wouldnt want to see some of the silly threads, etc that get started in the ORG as in the Sundeck. I have been in the Sundeck since the idea was began and part of it is my fault.
    Not saying I would have ever been voted in anyway, but I forgot what the original process was to apply to the ORG and never asked about it after that. Duh !

I don't really notice a difference between the two boards. I would've had them all merged into one board from the beginning. All the people on the board are Reds fans, and if they aren't, and become annoying trolls then just block them. Honestly though I think there are many subjects that are too touchy on the board. The "problems" on this board about player criticism and things like that are nothing compared to Bengals and Buckeye boards. I also think some criticism is taken lightly based on who is being criticised and whether the people in charge agree eg: Dusty Baker is fair game. Just my two cents on it.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I think it's long overdue.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

Yes they should be merged,and moderated well.I can't count how many times I have wanted to post on a thread there.It get's really frustrating when the Sun Deck has very little discussion,and I try to write a good thread to get some discussion going on,only to be answered by a few,or none at all.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

I don't think you should straight up merge them and ditch the ORG, it definitely has its purpose.

But I think maybe the best way to achieve what you're going for without flipping everything on its head right away, would be to just let ORG posters post on this board again. I think if we replaced some of the "Sun Deck" quality posts with higher quality posts maybe the users here who are posting Reds.com level posts would get the idea as far as the level of discourse expected.

Additionally I would make it a lot easier for Sun Deck users to get in the ORG as someone else mentioned.

I see both sides of having 2 boards. But the argument that the major league posters are in ORG and minor league baseball knowledge is in Sun Deck is laughable to some degree.

Some posters are no more knowledgeable than a kid who throws a fit every time the team is behind and is on the bus when reds are ahead is silly. But not all people's opinion can be reasonable.
    Last edited by MBZags; 07-21-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    I see both sides of having 2 boards. But the argument that the major league posters are in ORG and minor league baseball knowledge is in Sun Deck is laughable to some degree.

Poster like WVRedsfan is no more knowledgeable than a kid who throws a fit every time the team is behind and is on the bus when reds are ahead is silly. But not all people's opinion can be reasonable.
    It's not the knowledge, it's the maturity level of the posts. And don't think
    I'm trying to bash you here, but one of the differences between this board and other Internet forums is that calling out people like you did on that post there is very frowned upon. This isn't an enormous community relative to othe Internet boards, and as such, people here generally try to treat each other like actual people and not anonymous usernames.

Not trying to pile on you here, just pointing that out. I know what it's like on other message boards and I've definitely been guilty of that before.

I agree with WM, in that maybe giving ORG members posting privileges in the SD, and vise versa, to see how things could shake out, might be a way to see if a merger would work.

Playoff Veteran

I appreciate the need for intelligent discussion - but view the ORG as an elite style club (no offense here). If moderators are active - there is no need for the separation of who gets access. Everyone 's going to say something stupid - or do something to upset someone every once and awhile... it's life.

I saw a thread about asking about parking downtown - I wanted to respond - but couldn't. I don't post a lot - but would like to be at least able to chime in.

I like the idea of merging the boards. I used to post on sundeck a lot but I stopped because it just seemed like if you did not go with the proverbial flow people would just call you names and attack you. There was a lack of genuine baseball discussion and there was just much more agree with me because I am right and you are an idiot post than was worth my time. I came to Redszone to have intelligent discussions with my fellow reds fans and while that happened a lot, very often that was not the case so I rarely post anymore. I continue to come to the board to read mainly the ORG and the minor league forum. While I do believe the level of baseball discussion is better, not perfect, on the ORG, I never liked the idea of asking permission from a bunch of nameless faceless people if I was cool enough to come to their party. Thus, I have never asked for permission to join the ORG. While I completely understand the reason for the split, it seems like the discussion should be more about the type of board we want to have in redszone. Do you want one area for serious baseball discussion and one that has some of that with a lot of name calling of both posters and players and of course the endless Dusty is an idiot threads or do we want an entire board for serious baseball discussion? If we want the latter then I say merge them and police the board with moderators who will be aggressive in making this a board where every reds fan who wants to have serious intelligent discussions about their favorite team feels welcome and not run off by name calling or some type of internet created class system.

I would vote yes to the merge idea. I like redszone.com but the longer I've been introduced to this community the less enthusiastic I am about contributing because of the divergent boards and inability to communicate with the ORG posters. I understand the hesitation some experienced posters have to opening up their forums but the best forum board I visit, 2+2.com, thrives because it is open to everyone and has involved and effective moderators.

I'm all for a merge. Wasn't around pre-merge, but have been around for a few years now and unable to join in some conversations just because I wasn't granted access to the ORG yet (i'm not even 100% sure how that process even happens). I think there's good Reds fans on both sides, along with some trolls that could get moderated out. I think it's silly to have two of the same discussion going on (game threads, trade banter, etc.) on one forum.
    Is it "next season" yet?

I'm all for a merge if only for the reason that the idea that the ORG is somehow a "more intelligent" brand of discourse is laughable. There are many on SD that provide quality debate an insight and the idea that all opinions should be heard is really what a forum should be about. I'd be all for the ORG to lose its country club ideal and talk baseball with all who are great Reds fans!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    It's not the knowledge, it's the maturity level of the posts. And don't think
    I'm trying to bash you here, but one of the differences between this board and other Internet forums is that calling out people like you did on that post there is very frowned upon. This isn't an enormous community relative to othe Internet boards, and as such, people here generally try to treat each other like actual people and not anonymous usernames.

Not trying to pile on you here, just pointing that out. I know what it's like on other message boards and I've definitely been guilty of that before.
    I see your point and calling out individuals adds a bit of personal irritation to the discussion. But some guys on ORG just simply whine at every line up, pitching decision, etc..when the Reds are not doing well and have nothing to say when it works out.

- According to some constant comments Ludwick was a joke, slow bat, etc..I think for league minimum, he's done a nice job for the Reds on a 1 year deal.
    - According to some Arroyo was done and Bailey should have been traded as he is just immature...I see a solid job so far by them both.
    - According to some..Chapman has been handled miserably...I see a huge weapon at the end of the pen for a team with 4th best record in baseball.

Some folks are never happy, but are called legit posters when they are not.

Turn Off Ads?