Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should the Old Red Guard and Sun Deck be merged into one baseball forum?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I like the idea of having one forum where everyone can discuss baseball

99 83.19%
  • No, I like things the way they currently are

20 16.81%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible ORG/Sun Deck Merge - Are you in Favor?

Re: Possible ORG/Sun Deck Merge - Are you in Favor?

"It's boring around here. We need new blood."

2. Turn Off Ads?

"It's boring around here. We need new bodies."

Long-time reader (2005), but not a big poster. I voted yes to the merger of the 2 boards. Sometimes, I get the impression from some, that one's baseball intelligence is tied to the number of posts you make. Actually, in a lot of cases, it's the exact opposite. Some people simply have more time to engage, and some just choose to read and not interract. I'm sure there are several SunDeck residents that have plenty of baseball background/knowledge that would add to the overall Reds discussions. Both boards have their share of elitist, arrogant, know-it-all posters. A little closer moderation would eliminate some of them. To me, it's worth a try. As someone already remarked, in the end, we're all Reds fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    Long-time reader (2005), but not a big poster. I voted yes to the merger of the 2 boards. Sometimes, I get the impression from some, that one's baseball intelligence is tied to the number of posts you make. Actually, in a lot of cases, it's the exact opposite. Some people simply have more time to engage, and some just choose to read and not interract. I'm sure there are several SunDeck residents that have plenty of baseball background/knowledge that would add to the overall Reds discussions. Both boards have their share of elitist, arrogant, know-it-all posters. A little closer moderation would eliminate some of them. To me, it's worth a try. As someone already remarked, in the end, we're all Reds fans.
    +1
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

With our powers combined we will produce Captain Planet!!!!!!

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

I've been around for quite some time, too - well before the separation. In fact, I used to donate a nominal amount of money to contribute toward the site's hosting fees / operating expenses. I can't remember how it was determined who would get placed where, but for whatever reason, I didn't "make the cut."

I found it laughable at the time considering I was obviously not a troll, my ties to the Reds (to be fair, I never really publicized these), and of course given the fact that I donated money.

A few years after the split I engaged in a couple of debates over the division and was even issued a warning due to my use of an inflammatory term. And then I remembered this is the Internet. The notion of applying for a promotion to an "elite" platform for the right to engage in conversation with an anonymous user on the other side of a computer screen has absolutely no appeal to me, and frankly, is somewhat embarrassing.

Now...If the primary reason for the division is to reduce trolling, then I suggest going back to a pay-to-play model. Require users to donate a small amount - even if it's just $1 per month or $9.99 annually - to become a supporting member. Supporting Members would have the rights to start new threads and comment on existing ones. Trolls will not invest money - any amount - just to stir the pot. Plus, the site would benefit from some additional income to help cover hosting and other operating expenses.

For the record, I visit the site daily whether I contribute or not (usually not) - and would donate without hesitation should the site adopt such a model.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Vottobot

Its pretty silly to have 2 different forums for the same thing in the first place... No Reds fan should act like they are superior to other Reds fans just because they have been on an internet forum longer than them. Merge them
    Go Redlegs!!

While I don't care for the current process for determining ORG or some of the cliquey behavior, I think there is a huge disparity in the quality of content found within the ORG and the Sun Deck and I would hate for the level of dialogue to be brought down by some of the content currently found in the Sun Deck.

Frankly I get more enjoyment in lurking some of the ORG threads than I do participating in this forum, mostly because the signal-to-noise ratio is such that it makes it tough to have any sort of interesting / rewarding discussion in this forum. I think there are a lot of good posters in this forum, but unfortunately they often times get drowned out by others who bring very little to the table other than being noisy.

Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    Quoting Dr. ______ "Rational arguments don’t usually work on religious people. Otherwise there would be no religious people."
    How ironic. The "Doctor" (and no doubt self-styled guardian of rational thought and proponent of rational arguments) resorts to a hybrid statement which merely states an unsupprted conclusion and engages in bald unsupported "name calling" at his intended target all at the same time. Brilliant. Where did you dig up such a gem of irony?

I vote NO to a merger.

Although I generally don't support exclusivism, all one has to do is read the SD on a regular basis to know that there is need of a sanctuary, however imperfect.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    While I don't care for the current process for determining ORG or some of the cliquey behavior, I think there is a huge disparity in the quality of content found within the ORG and the Sun Deck and I would hate for the level of dialogue to be brought down by some of the content currently found in the Sun Deck.

Frankly I get more enjoyment in lurking some of the ORG threads than I do participating in this forum, mostly because the signal-to-noise ratio is such that it makes it tough to have any sort of interesting / rewarding discussion in this forum.
    I think there are a lot of good posters in this forum, but unfortunately they often times get drowned out by others who bring very little to the table other than being noisy.
    Spot on. Me too.

ORG is like chocolate babka while the SunDeck is cinnamon babka. Cinnamon takes a backseat to no babka.

Seinfeld - The Dinner Party - Cinnamon Tribute - YouTube

I don't post much and I think that hurts posters like me in the current system. If you aren't out there with quite a few posts then you aren't very well known to ORG members. I think this makes it a littler harder under the current system to get into ORG for those members that don't post a lot.

I also post more in the political thread section and I think this would likely hurt my chances of ever getting into ORG. My opinions differ from quite a few others in some of those threads and I think that it might likely have an impact on the current voting system to get into ORG.

I applied to ORG years ago but I probably only had 300 or so posts at the time. I didn't have a lot to interject and enjoyed reading and learning from other post more than putting my opinions out there. I guess I still feel a bit 2nd class though.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Bakers Dozen

I think it's sort of stuck up having 2 forums like that and ultimately puts up a pointless divider between the fan bases. I mean what is this? Are we not equals? I'd understand if you cut a nice big check for those luxury box seats but we all share being Reds' fans. To put up a divider like that and even try to justify it is ignorance. Never ever seen a forum run like this and frankly one of the dumbest things I've ever seen on any forum.
    Last edited by PumpFak3First; 07-23-2012 at 09:35 PM.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    the best forum board I visit, 2+2.com, thrives because it is open to everyone and has involved and effective moderators.
    +1

This is how every successful community operates that I know. When you have clearly-defined rules and dedicated, level-headed moderators, everything works out fine.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Turn Off Ads?